Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Satellite TV is Dead, Direct TV just lost 267,000 customers
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Satellite TV is Dead, Direct TV just lost 267,000 customers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next
rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/19 08:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timmac wrote:

rk911 wrote:

timmac wrote:

... bought...a digital antenna and hooked him up...

presuming you meant an OTA antenna there ain't no such thing as a digital TV antenna.

Well yes I did mean HDTV antenna but look at this..

Amplified Digital HDTV Outdoor Antenna with Motorized 360 Degree Rotation - 150 Miles Range - Wireless Remote

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Amplified-Dig........000006885&wl14=digital%20antenna&veh=sem

So I was at least half right.. [emoticon]

no, you weren't. what you bought was a TV antenna, true, bit it is neither HD nor digital. both of those attributes are functions of the receiver. a 25-yr old *intact* 75-ohm television antenna with new coax will easily receive HDTV signals.

'73,
rich, n9dko
Remember...if you don’t know where you’re going you're bound to end up somewhere else.
'03 Jeep Wrangler TJ
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/19 08:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

timmac wrote:

rk911 wrote:

timmac wrote:

presuming you meant an OTA antenna there ain't no such thing as a digital TV antenna.

Amplified Digital HDTV Outdoor Antenna with Motorized 360 Degree Rotation - 150 Miles Range - Wireless Remote

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Amplified-Dig........000006885&wl14=digital%20antenna&veh=sem

no, you weren't. what you bought was a TV antenna, true, bit it is neither HD nor digital. both of those attributes are functions of the receiver. a 25-yr old *intact* 75-ohm television antenna with new coax will easily receive HDTV signals.

Are you serous, yes in a way your right but they still call it a HDTV Digital antennae..

Duh [emoticon]

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/19 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timmac wrote:

rk911 wrote:

timmac wrote:

esyers wrote:

"bought him a digital antenna" just about says it all

Opps

OK I got that wrong, HDTV Antenna.. [emoticon]

But there is a HDTV Digital antennae for sale, just search and you will see..

ain't no such thing as an HDTV antenna. lots of stuff for sale. diesn't mean any of it is real.

So what is this below and what is on my house and RV that picks up over 40 local digital channels than..

[emoticon]

a tv antenna. the new digital format signals use the same frequency ranges as the old analog tv signals. a tv antenna cannot distinguish between an analog or digital transmissions. those are different modes or emissions. the tv receiver decodes those signals and displays them on the screen. you fell for the snake oil.

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/19 08:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh and I had a old Non digital antennae and it would not pickup half the new digital signals, so there you to are WRONG..

Stop high jacking my thread and go watch CNN..

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/19 08:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A person might think timmac had some kind of financial interest in the demise of satellite. Or some personal grudge against them.

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/19 08:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In our park there are no OTA TV channels. We cant get wifi bandwith yet to allow streaming YET. we have the wifi infrastructure in place, just waiting on our IP to lay fiber into the camp Promised this year.
Our CATV through Dish is $600/ mo for 24 basic channels and we do all service and own the equipment! When our ip brings in fiber to give us 2 gigs instead of the 50 mbps currently, we will be able to allow streaming at half the cost of CATV and we wont have the cost of those 24 dish recievers , modulators, combiners boosters eating up power as well as the troubles with guests who cant get the signal because they dont know where their antenna booster is to turn it off.
When we can get the bandwidth to allow wifi streaming, the catv is gone. So long sat. tv.

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/19 08:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timmac wrote:

rk911 wrote:

timmac wrote:

rk911 wrote:

timmac wrote:

Are you serous, yes in a way your right but they still call it a HDTV Digital antennae..

Duh [emoticon]

(sigh). it matters not what they call it. amplification DOES matter. design of the receiving elements DOES matter but neither of those things have anything to do with digital or HDTV. to call what you bought an AMPLIFIED TV antenna is accurate but that's all.

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/19 08:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK I will just call it a lighten rod with prongs, is that better..

I called what it is called on the package, maybe a Chevy is not a Chevy, its a transportation device than..

jorbill2or

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/19 08:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have Verizon and AT&T. Hotspots and AT&T phones I can hotspot . We use roku , and a Apple TV. We are full time and we travel, not sit in towns ..yes steaming works kinda ...but 10-20% of the time it sucks. I’m switching trying to find who can sustain the stream ATT or Verizon? My programming freezes the pict quality’s drops to junk .. not the ideal solution but we use it. Especially for Netflix movies.
The dish flex pack with locals pac starz pac and news channels pac...... all in 80 bucks is what we watch most. ...so yes I’m happily “wasting” 1 grand a year ! And I love it !
Sorry but gotta say streaming may be the future but it ain’t here yet .. not with where we travel ! I’ll keep the dish for now thank you.
Don’t know why your so amped on this timmac? Glad it works for you , you made your point . You must be On a one person rage against the sat companies ????or just drinking the kool aide in directs effort to dump satellite and convert their fixed customers to streaming ? Actually I hope direct does , dish will have many more customers of those who are and still will be internet challenged for at least the next 5-10 years.
Btw Digital antenna /HD antenna is marketing to the sheep , I guess if they call it that...

Bill

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/19 09:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timmac wrote:

OK I will just call it a lighten rod with prongs, is that better..

I called what it is called on the package, maybe a Chevy is not a Chevy, its a transportation device than..

enjoy your world.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Satellite TV is Dead, Direct TV just lost 267,000 customers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS