cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Free Camper Adventure: Moved Successfully!

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Finally had a nice day here yesterday so I got over to the storage yard where the camper is. Reinstalled the LF jack, tightened the bracket bolts, and checked the rears too. Since no battery onboard or electric, I used the hand crank to verify that all the jacks worked. I just went up a little, just enough to take the weight off of that corner to where I could slide around the boards underneath.

Now for the problem area in the RF...the 1x2 on the front frame was still solid, so I was able to thru-bolt the jack bracket to it. Since that corner bottom is separated, I used a ratchet strap to keep the jack from leaning out with weight on it. I was able to jack the camper the same 1/4" as I did in the other 3 corners and didn't hear any crunching, creaking or otherwise bad noises.

From what I can tell, the jack is carrying the weight from above, meaning that little 1x2 is in compression, and it should carry the weight as long as it stays straight.

All I need to do is keep it on the jacks long enough to get the blocks out from underneath and back a trailer under it. What do you think? Doable? What are my other options for lifting this corner aside from a crane with a sling?

40 REPLIES 40

finsruskw wrote:
You NEED something UNDER those blocks!!
If you get a big soaking rain, THEY WILL GO DOWN!!

lol
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

finsruskw
Explorer
Explorer
You NEED something UNDER those blocks!!
If you get a big soaking rain, THEY WILL GO DOWN!!

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Good job. I didn't think you'd get it high enough to get on that truck

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer

RickW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Define the goal.
Evaluate possible solutions.
Devise a plan including contingencies.
Execute.

Good Job!

And now we all know that a HD rental truck will haul a lite TC.
Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4, 04 Sunlite SB

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well it was a nice sunny day here on Long Island and a great day to move a camper! The jacks held, my ratchet strap around the tree kept it from toppling over and all in all was a good day.

Kayteg, I think you are right about the bracket, I was cranking the jacks by hand and there was no binding, so the jack tubes must be straight.

You can see the green ratchet strap in this pic going over to the tree. Also hard to tell but they spread a bunch of asphalt around in the yard since the camper was parked, and there was a big mound in front of the camper. I had to dig down to re-level the ground so the truck would go under the camper.

Not a lot of room here since the camper shifted over when I was jacking it. had just enough room to get the truck in there.

I was tempted to run over to the local county park CG just to see what kind of comments I would get!
Fun fact, these HD rental trucks had load sensors built in and it blares the horn if you exceed the 3000 stated load limit. The "as manufactired" stcker on the camper is 3017 and I was fine until I sat in the drivers seat LOL. Interestingly enough, this overweight alarm blares with the key in or out, motor running or off. The only time it shuts off is when you put the truck in gear....

I set it up behind the garage at home, and dropped it down low so it would be easier to work on. The weight is being carried by the 2x10s and cinder blocks, minimal on the jacks.

I since turned two of the 4 block stacks 90* to give it more front/rear stability

Tarped to keep any more water damage at bay. You can see the block stack turned in this pic, I also turned the one caddy corner in the rear.

I'm smack dab in the middle of a major kitchen remodel so this is gonna sit until I get some time to look at it. I'll be poking around here asking questions as I learn all about TCs...debating whether to sell the TT this season or wait until next.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Did the jack bend, or its extension bracket?
Bend jack will not extend too well, when bracket is relatively easy to straighten up.
I removed the jack with bracket attached and having gaps between driveway slabs, I put flat bracket into the gap and than with pry bar pushed the jack leg to straighten the bracket.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Update: for the folks asking about trailers, a car trailer is too wide to go between the jacks, and the U-Haul utility trailer I was looking at has 32" tall sides, meaning a lot of blocking under the camper and a very high CG.

Thanks to all for good suggestions, I was at the camper today and reinforced that bad corner with some 1" box steel. I can see how this helps and I'll weld this corner for the permanent repair.

This was great advice and very sturdy, except that it became clear as I was jacking the camper that when it collapsed last time the jacks got bent. As soon as it came off the blocks it shifted about 2" to the south.

My solution is to use a ratchet strap around a tree to pull in the opposite direction to counteract the bent jacks.

Hard to see the strap in this pic, but with the lateral strap keeping it straight, I was able to crank all four jacks and get the camper 100% off the blocks with the jacks holding all the weight.

It's back on the blocks tonight, but it's gonna be sunny and nice tomorrow, so after cars 'n' coffee at sunrise, my buddy and I are gonna get this loaded on the HD rental and bring her home.

Stay tuned for more pics tomorrow!

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
An F150 will carry a modest sided camper like that a couple miles down the road.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
They are not too many trailers that can do such job.
Most of utility trailers come with single axle and 1500 lb. ratings.
Those dual-axle vehicle haulers are wide-bodies that will not fit between the jacks. From what I see - TC dealers modify boat trailer for their use, but that will not be good solution for this case.
I am pretty confident that HD truck will do the job if it is F250, as locally I have seen F150.

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
You don't need it to. Raise the Jack's and drop it on a dolly. Or make your own long dolly with a couple 2x6s and wheels. Probably less than $40 for parts. Then just drag it on up.

No offense, but this problem is being over worked. You probably could have had it done for less effort than this thread. ??

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
pira114 wrote:
joerg68 wrote:
Have you considered putting it on a low trailer for the short way home?
Much less height involved. Just stabilize the camper, clear underneath, and roll the trailer under the camper. The place where it is parked must have been vehicle-accessible at the time.

This is probably the easiest and cheapest. Just rent a car trailer from Uhaul and tie it down. Easy peasy

I'm pretty sure a car trailer would be to wide to go between the jacks

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Maybe someone has a utility trailer that you can take the sides off.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
East End Campers in Southhold is a TC dealer , they may know someone ( transporter ) that can help you reasonably . Worth a call .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed