cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shower floor

napanee_ted
Explorer
Explorer
When you step into our shower you can feel the floor flex. Do you think it would hurt to spray some expanding foam in there to take up the flex?
11 REPLIES 11

rambleonrose
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a new pan, and it came with sturdy styrofoam. From what I'm reading, rip that foam off, and build blocks?

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
I used it in combination with some wood blocks. Use the low expansion type since you're after support not air gap filling. You don't need to fill every inch of the space under the pan, but do need to fill it in such a way that it provides a large surface of foam to fill the flexible areas.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Never done this but maybe wood blocks would be better if you have room. You could keep the blocks from moving when the floor flexes by shooting a little foam top and bottom, kind of like glue but could be removed if necessary.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Unless it's high density foam, don't expect it to do much of anything (not the cheap can of spray foam.

Use the cheap stuff and expect the top layer of foam to quickly break down due to compression and then it offers no support...but now to fix it right, you need to dig it all out.

As mentioned, blocks of would carefully and snugly installed is a better option.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
My shower floor flexed a little, so I put in some wooden supports and then added fiberglass between the pieces of wood for extra insulation.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Use "NON EXPANDABLE" foam!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I, too, am considering spray foam. My unit is from 2005 and plastic does depolymerize over time.

I believe there is a foam that does not expand as much--that may be the route I take.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
SoundGuy wrote:
napanee ted wrote:
When you step into our shower you can feel the floor flex. Do you think it would hurt to spray some expanding foam in there to take up the flex?

Foam won't do anything, you want to support the shower floor before it flexes so much it cracks. My own dealer installed a couple of 2x when I complained of the same thing and in 6 yrs I never had an issue.

The idea is the same spray foam can work as well as wood.
The advantage of spay form is that it will fill the void and mould to the shape of the shower.
There still needs to be something substantial/stable for the wood or foam to transfer the weight to.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
napanee ted wrote:

Foam won't do anything, you want to support the shower floor before it flexes so much it cracks. My own dealer installed a couple of 2x when I complained of the same thing and in 6 yrs I never had an issue.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Mine doesn't. It's 6 years old. I've noticed it too many times when checking out RV's at RV shows. I would be careful using spray foam. a little goes a long way.
Yeah if mine did I would try something.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
How much flex? Was there flex in the past?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad