cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

22.5 tires $$$$ ?

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Ok. So I’m looking at class A’s. Between 2013 and 2015, maybe a bit older if it’s immacualte. I’ve been pricing tires and found that the 22.5’s are pricey, around $500 ea on average. 19.5’s are about half that price. So if I find one that I like it’s probably going to need tires, at least the 2 steer tires! Anyone found a place that offered good prices for a quality tire! And do these tires fall under the same category for replacement! Every 5 or so years?

I’m sure I’ll have a lot more questions!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!
23 REPLIES 23

apr67
Explorer
Explorer
lryrob9301 wrote:
You won't find any class A coaches with 19.5 tires built after 2009.

Huh? Almost every coach not on a F53 24k chassis has 19.5's.
2017 Thor Hurricane 34J
Gone-2014 Chevy Express 3500
Gone-2016 Jayco White Hawk 32DSBH
Gone-2013 Keystone Bullet 294BHS
Gone-2007 National SurfSide 34DE
Gone-2006 ForestRiver Sunseeker 2900LTD
Gone-1994 Fleetwood PaceArrow
Gone-1978 Kit RoadRanger

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
Keep this in mind also and not everyone agrees with it but there are many people who will buy the 22.5 tires if they are decent. Mine only has 20K miles on them but I am changing them soon due to them being 7 years old. I already have a local trucking company guy who is eager to buy them for about $150 each. They are much better than what you see on local big rigs typically.
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag
2005 Silverado 2500 w/ piggy back golf cart

Chainwright
Explorer
Explorer
I got 6 Iron Man tires (Hercules brand), which are normally found on 18 wheelers. I love them. $1800 out the door. My front 2 (steering) are still Michelins. Look you're going to put over 40k miles on these tires over the next 6 to 8 yrs. Basically you can travel from the east coast to the west coast 2x yr for almost 7 yrs. That's a lot of driving. You'll most likely change them out before you even wear out the tread. Sure the up front coast is steep, but over time it's well worth it. Look if you Amortize $5600 michelin tires over time, which for me was 7 yrs, you'll find that it really isn't that much. But if you find a deal like I did, 1800 for 6(in the back) and 2 michelins for $1200 up front, that's $3000. Amortized over 6-7 yrs, that's even better.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Shopping tires right now. Mine are load range H 22.5.

Michelin X Line Energy Z (replaces OEM XZA3+ no longer made) $5,450 for 8 installed and balanced.

Toyo M177 $4,160 for 8 installed and balanced.

Michelin sidewalls crack prematurely. Mine are now. Warranty is worthless for cracking. Goodyear get rivering on the G670 RV tire. Toyos don't actually have the correct size, so I would have to go to a slightly different size.

Compare prices with and without the FMCA discount. For my Michelin X Line Energy Z - list price was $22 cheaper without the discount. FMCA publishes the discounted prices so you can take it in the store with you and first just ask for pricing without mentioning FMCA and compare it to the discount. You'll notice on the FMCA published list, some discounts are deeper than others.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
H rated Yokohama RY023s on the Sahara. $2500 for 6 mounted at a local truck tire shop.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I'm running Samsons on mine with no issues
Hankook is a great tire
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Ok. So I’m looking at class A’s. Between 2013 and 2015, maybe a bit older if it’s immacualte. I’ve been pricing tires and found that the 22.5’s are pricey, around $500 ea on average. 19.5’s are about half that price. So if I find one that I like it’s probably going to need tires, at least the 2 steer tires! Anyone found a place that offered good prices for a quality tire! And do these tires fall under the same category for replacement! Every 5 or so years?

I've been running Hercules H601 with good results in performance and price.

Thanks. Good to know. I remember putting those tires on one of my former bosses MH. I did read up on them back then and never found any negatives.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:

I've been running Hercules H601 with good results in performance and price.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
lryrob9301 wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Ya, I won’t by Michelin. They show signs of dry rot after 3 years. So those are out. Just part of owning a class A I guess. I was set on 22.5’s. But now I would consider 19.5’s over 22.5’s!

Hummmmmmm! Ford might disagree with you on this, . . . . at least until 2019.

See:

https://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/stripped-chassis/models/f53-motorhome/

Fords official 2018 factory specifications list 19.5" steel wheels as standard on the F-53. (Class A motor home chassis) It's true that 22.5" aluminum wheels are an option.

Chum lee

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok comments about Mitchlin and Toyo other than price.

Most all tires now days are made out of much the same stuff. oh there may be minor differences in the formulation but nothing earth shattering.

I have often heard that Mitchlines do show signs of cracking or more precisely crazing (very low level cracking) but this is not indicative in most cases if imminate tire failure. I am also told they have great tread life.. But read on.

Toyo's for example at over 1,000 less installed. Well the tread life is not as good if you are driving a SEMI. but if you are driving an RV.. odds are you do not drive 8 hours a day 6 days a week and thus wont wear the tread out over a period of 10 years.. and you should have already replaced either brand 10 years from now.

So save your money.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
scbwr wrote:
lryrob9301 wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Ya, I won’t by Michelin. They show signs of dry rot after 3 years. So those are out. Just part of owning a class A I guess. I was set on 22.5’s. But now I would consider 19.5’s over 22.5’s!

Not true. My 2012 Bay Star has 19.5 tires.

Yep, I have seen many 14-17’s online that have the 19.5’s. I think the 22.5’s are the optional size. The only reason I like the 22.5’s is they look good with the polished wheels, but I would take the 19.5’s for affordability over looks.

This is just one I found. Not what I’m looking at but they are out there. 19.5” tires.

Unless you are talking DP’s?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
lryrob9301 wrote:
dodge guy wrote:

Not true. My 2012 Bay Star has 19.5 tires.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
lryrob9301 wrote:
dodge guy wrote:

That's to bad, I like my 19.5 and they ride smooth, the best part about 19.5 is you can change a flat with the spare you can carry inside the luggage compartments..

js218
Explorer
Explorer
By any chance any of you guys that travel ever buy tires in Mexico.
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim