cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anderson WDH pros and cons

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
I'm planning on towing a 2018 winnebago micro mini GVWR 7000 lb. I am considering the Anderson WDH for towing with my 2018 F150/ 5.0L. Can anyone give me pros and cons on the this WDH as compared to other WDH's?
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD
18 REPLIES 18

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
LarryJM wrote:
...snip.......

Again, don't shoot the messenger, I'm just passing on what I have read and understand from other owners and their posts/opinions like have been expressed in this thread.

Larry

Not shooting anyone. There is one "Messenger" on another forum who messages all the time how bad the Andersen Hitch is. Of course, he has a light duty pickup that is over every rating to begin with. Owners who point out that a 1500 series truck may not be the best to tow a 10,000 pound trailer are not proving that the 1500 is no good.

New and innovative products are easy targets.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
LarryJM wrote:
GrandpaKip wrote:
.... the Andersen is an excellent choice.
If I had a large trailer, that would change things. Just because the Andersen has its limits doesnโ€™t mean it should be discounted out of hand. As with most things, when used correctly, it works properly.

The problem is those "limits" as you call them are a HUGE NEGATIVE IMO when no one can put firm numbers on them and like you only say "If I had a large trailer, that would change things". AFAIK none of the other have limits, either stated or preceived/noted except weight limits for both the basic hitch and WD bars.

Again, don't shoot the messenger, I'm just passing on what I have read and understand from other owners and their posts/opinions like have been expressed in this thread.

Larry

No worries. I think Iโ€™m outta ammo anyway. At least on this thread...
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
.... the Andersen is an excellent choice.
If I had a large trailer, that would change things. Just because the Andersen has its limits doesnโ€™t mean it should be discounted out of hand. As with most things, when used correctly, it works properly.

The problem is those "limits" as you call them are a HUGE NEGATIVE IMO when no one can put firm numbers on them and like you only say "If I had a large trailer, that would change things". AFAIK none of the other have limits, either stated or preceived/noted except weight limits for both the basic hitch and WD bars.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
LarryJM wrote:
Snomas wrote:
I'm planning on towing a 2018 winnebago micro mini GVWR 7000 lb. I am considering the Anderson WDH for towing with my 2018 F150/ 5.0L. Can anyone give me pros and cons on the this WDH as compared to other WDH's?

Well the following are the not so positive comments (all actual performance related) just in this thread:

1" May not be able to restore all weight to front axle."

2. "Had to replace cone liner after 4 years",

3. "Count me as a dissatisfied user."

4. "I will say that weight transfer isn't probably the best, "

5. "The larger the trailer the more the Andersen may not be the best selection"

6. 'I do have a smaller, lighter trailer with low hitch weight".

As far as the other two most popular and common integrated WDH/Sway systems in the same category the Reese DC and Equal-i-zer IMO any actual performance related negatives are fairly rare with the follow two most common "annoyance mostly" related ones you hear about most.

For the Reese DC it's getting it dialed in so it operates as it designed.

For the Equal-i-zer it's that it's noisy which there are pads to reduce that issue if you want.

I've used both the add on friction sway bar for over 25 years and now the Equal-i-zer for 12 both on trailers with TW close to 1K and in the 26 to 32' and 6 to 8 Klb ranges and much prefer the Equal-i-zer hands down.

Larry

Well, I really didnโ€™t have to replace the cone. It still performed perfectly. The cone material had risen about 1/4โ€ above the socket. I contacted Andersen about it and they sent me a new one that supposedly was a new, better material. Took about a minute to change out.
I had no problem returning the front of the Silverado to GMโ€™s specs
For the OPโ€™s question and for his application, the Andersen is an excellent choice.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
Andersen Hitch

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
There are hundreds of pages available on this subject for those who like to read. Here is what has changed. When they first came out, the "experts" (who never even saw one) said, "Ain't no good". Now that there are a few in use, the reports are that they work very well except where maximum weight distribution is required, as has been noted by detractors and proponents alike.

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
Snomas wrote:

Well the following are the not so positive comments (all actual performance related) just in this thread:

1" May not be able to restore all weight to front axle."

2. "Had to replace cone liner after 4 years",

3. "Count me as a dissatisfied user."

4. "I will say that weight transfer isn't probably the best, "

5. "The larger the trailer the more the Andersen may not be the best selection"

6. 'I do have a smaller, lighter trailer with low hitch weight".

As far as the other two most popular and common integrated WDH/Sway systems in the same category the Reese DC and Equal-i-zer IMO any actual performance related negatives are fairly rare with the follow two most common "annoyance mostly" related ones you hear about most.

For the Reese DC it's getting it dialed in so it operates as it designed.

For the Equal-i-zer it's that it's noisy which there are pads to reduce that issue if you want.

I've used both the add on friction sway bar for over 25 years and now the Equal-i-zer for 12 both on trailers with TW close to 1K and in the 26 to 32' and 6 to 8 Klb ranges and much prefer the Equal-i-zer hands down.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

SkiddyMiller
Explorer
Explorer
Flapper wrote:
Count me as a dissatisfied user...

I had no issue getting the full distribution needed (and more, if I wanted) on my F-150, although did have to tighten them up really tight.
But, a 32' trailer was just too much - lots of sway that the cone couldn't prevent. Tried maxing out tongue weight as much as was physically possible, and no change. I assume there was just too much tail wagging the dog for the hitch to compensate.
Rather than spend money and time on other hitches that I was unsure whether they would cure the problem, I spent the big $$ for a ProPride...
Love the idea, but they seem to be only practical for smallish trailers.

My 2150 is about 1500 pounds less with about 150 pounds less of tongue weight, towing is with a 2018 F-150, maxtrailer/HD, eco boost V6. I have only noticed some sway when strong crosswind gusts are present. Last week in southern WA there were 30-40 MPH gusts that did move the Imagine sail around a bit.

The Andersen 3350 is ideal for me, best WD/antisway Iโ€™ve used.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like my Anderson. Light weight and easy to hook up. But, I do have a smaller, lighter trailer with low hitch weight.

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
Flapper wrote:

I had no issue getting the full distribution needed (and more, if I wanted) on my F-150, although did have to tighten them up really tight.
But, a 32' trailer was just too much - lots of sway that the cone couldn't prevent. Tried maxing out tongue weight as much as was physically possible, and no change. I assume there was just too much tail wagging the dog for the hitch to compensate.
Rather than spend money and time on other hitches that I was unsure whether they would cure the problem, I spent the big $$ for a ProPride...

While I am very satisfied with my Andersen, I agree with what you are saying. The larger the trailer the more the Andersen may not be the best selection; depending on all of the factors of your rig. How do you like the Pro Pride?

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
GrandpaKip wrote:
...snip.......

I havenโ€™t heard of anyone dissatisfied with it.

Usually from those who have never used one.

Or the ones that would punish the employees for the ownerโ€™s bad deed. If every company was killed off for that reason, there would be huge numbers of unemployed people.
He did something really stupid and, as far as I can tell, has been punished according to the law.
It pales in comparison to what gas, oil, and mine companies do to the environment. We will live with the results of coal ash for a very long time.
You gonna stop buying electricity?
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
Andersen Hitch

Heymon
Explorer
Explorer
I have only used the Andersen so I can't comment on other systems except from what I see others doing. The Andersen is very simple and lightweight as others have said. The best thing about it is the anti-sway. My TV was a half ton Yukon XL and is now a 3/4 ton Yukon. Neither vehicle ever swayed towing a 30 foot Jayco. I did a comparison test last January in a fairly windy desert and watched trailers ahead of me fighting it, and my experience was very smooth. I will say that weight transfer isn't probably the best, but that hasn't been my priority (my trailer weighs 6700 pounds with 1050 on the tongue). I have had great customer service from them when I first got it and had a couple of questions.

I see people fighting with their other WDH brands at the campground and it seems like a lot of work. That Propride probably does a good job, but the guy I know with one needs help connecting the hitch to the trailer. I do my hitching alone and efficiently.

PS I am aware of the vandalism charge. I think he is pretty repentant about it and I don't think he deserves a life sentence. We all draw our lines in the sand somewhere, I guess.

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer

2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
I've had mine for the last 5 years. Does a great job with my Camplite 21BHS and Ram 1500. Not much need for weight distribution but it does dampen the bouncing and sway. Easy to use and durable.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Although the hitch is probably a good one there are many other choices. In light of the fact that the owner of the company defaced Corona Arch, no RV'er should give this company a single dollar.
click
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand