cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which vehicles could work for my RV?

LSoro
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone! I'm a brand new rv'er and would love some advice. I have a 2615lb hard-sided travel trailer. I will be purchasing a new vehicle this year and I want to make sure I'll be able to safely use it to tow this trailer.

Would mid-sized SUVs that can tow 5000lbs be safe (eg Sorento, Santa Fe or Highlander V6 AWDs)? It seems like it should be ok but some friends have told me it's important to be sure the tow vehicle can safely stop with the trailer behind it.

If anyone has any experience towing with these types of SUVs in particular I'd love to hear about it. Thanks so much!
16 REPLIES 16

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
Donโ€™t forget to include the passengers and cargo in the tow vehicle in your towing weight. My first fifth wheel was 5000 pounds fully loaded and I pulled it with a dodge 360 gasser half ton. Power was a good match and it ran great but I sure wouldnโ€™t want less brakes than that half ton had. Also new RV ers usually trade up to something bigger and heavier within a year or two. Just sayingโ€ฆ
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
bid_time wrote:
campigloo wrote:
Another factor that makes towing ability using weights misleading is they are calculated with a load that has no wind resistance...
That's not true for any vehicle tested per the SAE J2807 standard, which most "tow" vehicles are.

Yep, youโ€™re right. Sometimes it just takes a while for it to sink in.

bid_time
Explorer III
Explorer III
campigloo wrote:
Another factor that makes towing ability using weights misleading is they are calculated with a load that has no wind resistance...
That's not true for any vehicle tested per the SAE J2807 standard, which most "tow" vehicles are.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Another factor that makes towing ability using weights misleading is they are calculated with a load that has no wind resistance. Itโ€™s easier to pull a utility trailer with bags of sand on it than it is a tt with a front wall
I found a website years ago and donโ€™t remember what is was but when I input size and body shape and a speed of 65mph it calculated that an additional 65 hp was required to maintain speed on a flat road with no head wind.
Also, avoid a vehicle with unibody construction.

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
I towed a 3500# (gross weight) with a 6 cyl. Envoy for years. Lock out 4th gear and it easily pulled that trailer all day long and averaged 12.5 mpg doing it.

Envoys/trailblazers where full frame with that same rear and transmission as a half ton GM.

And the Atlas inline 6 engine was no slouch.

Not a bad midsize suv to tow with.

Of course, they have made them for a while now.
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Safe is one thing. You will be safe in any of those tow vehicles with that trailer behind, so long as you maintain both the vehicle and the trailer and ensure that you have good working brakes and tires all around, within reason.

Within reason, meaning you don't fill the trailer or SUV with rocks, or have three 300lb kids riding along.

Comfort is the other thing. Initially you will probably be able to convince yourself that it tows just fine, because you don't know any better, but somewhere down the road you MAY find yourself wanting for better performance, either in acceleration or handling. It is for this reason that you don't want to short-change yourself in the tow vehicle department up front.

Further complicating things is, everyone has a different idea of what "good" is. Some people are perfectly fine with taking a little longer to get from A to B. Others are foaming at the mouth if they can't do 85MPH in every situation.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might want to own a slightly larger RV some time. I would buy a truck that is made for some towing. Stopping is no problem with good trailer brakes.

blt2ski
Stopping safely, also assumes the trailer has working brakes. If not, then you're unsafe and potentially illegal depending on the jurisdiction you are driving thru.
Also, how many people in vehicle? If you have a family of 6 like I did, wit 4 adult sized kids/teens. We weighed 1200-1300 lbs. Putting many of these vehicles at GVW before hooking up the trailer. So these vehicles in realty, had no ability to tow a trailer with proper hitch weight.
I've towed safe over under ratings, along with knowing I was unsafe both over and u det ratings. Tow ratings are a go power performance standard. If the trailer has no hitch weight, sways, but under ratings, you have an unsafe and potentially illegal setup, depending on how Dar side to side the trade sways.
My 02
Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Is that 2615 loaded or GVW? If it is GVW, anything with a 5K tow rating should be more than adequate.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
I towed a 3500# (gross weight) with a 6 cyl. Envoy for years. Lock out 4th gear and it easily pulled that trailer all day long and averaged 12.5 mpg doing it.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind that many mid sized and some full sized SUV's have frontal area restrictions along with the weight capacity issues. Most are limited to 32 square feet of frontal area which eliminates most TT's.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 3,500 lbs TT that goes up to 5,000 lbs fully loaded.

I'm pulling 4runer 4WD with it and it's more than sufficient although the SUV is rated for 5,000 lbs.

You should be ok although I would advice to get something that has longer wheelbase.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
VS ib516's scenario with 185hp and a 5speed auto, you can get a midsize 6 banger with close to or around 300hp and 8speeds maybe more. Dog will hunt.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If it's really only 2600lbs and not 36 or 46 then I'd say no problem with a midsize. Just take'er easy up hill or into headwinds, the frontal area of the trailer will be working against you pretty hard.
Brakes are not an issue as long as you have good working trailer brakes.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold