Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: question on on hitches on the back of fifth wheels
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> question on on hitches on the back of fifth wheels

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/19 09:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

Like I mentioned earlier, my frame is pretty stout, and the factory installed receiver is fastened at several points, but mostly to a thick steel 3 inch solid square tubing, that runs frame to frame. It is solid! Like I said earlier, I feel the manufacturer has other reasons to under rate these receivers.

Towing a 3K utility trailer, not much of an issue, if properly loaded, but hanging 500 lbs on that hitch, such as a motorcycle will add weight to rear axle, and lighten pin.

Sounds like yours is well built, but low rated also.

Jerry

Jerry, Our hitches are likely plenty strong, just playing it safe with attorneys and litigation! I don’t think that lightening my pin weight by 500 pounds would be a bad thing! [emoticon]

* This post was edited 03/24/19 02:21pm by an administrator/moderator *

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

transamz9

Lawrenceburg Ky

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/19 04:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Putting 500# on the back of your fifth wheel won't lighten the pin weight 500#. Depends on the location of the axles.

* This post was edited 03/24/19 02:22pm by an administrator/moderator *

2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/19 07:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good point! Typing without brain in gear. [emoticon]

* This post was edited 03/24/19 02:22pm by an administrator/moderator *

transamz9

Lawrenceburg Ky

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/19 03:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I pull a boat that has a tongue weight of around 500# with no I'll effects. I built my hitch.

Ralph Cramden

Not on this rag of a forum

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/19 03:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TxGearhead wrote:

If you get pulled over for double towing play dumb.

LOL....That will work.

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/19 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no way you can hang a 500# MC on only a receiver hitch. Even if you have a hitch rated for 500# direct load, you are going to have a long draw bar to get a wheel rail far enough out from the rear of the trailer. That is a long lever, and that cantilevered load is going to far exceed the capacity of any receiver.

I don't know what length draw bar they use to rate these hitches. There is a lot left to the imagination since we don't have any of their design documents. But I can assure you it is not based on a 2' long draw bar.

This whole idea is just silly.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/19 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bpounds wrote:

There is no way you can hang a 500# MC on only a receiver hitch. Even if you have a hitch rated for 500# direct load, you are going to have a long draw bar to get a wheel rail far enough out from the rear of the trailer. That is a long lever, and that cantilevered load is going to far exceed the capacity of any receiver.

I don't know what length draw bar they use to rate these hitches. There is a lot left to the imagination since we don't have any of their design documents. But I can assure you it is not based on a 2' long draw bar.

This whole idea is just silly.

You are correct, and I think the OP got the message right away, since he has not returned.

The draw bar on my/most MC carriers is not very long, which does not allow for a very secure tie down. Even putting a 500 lb bike on your truck or MH rear could be an issue with tie down, using a standard type carrier. On back of a FW, or TT, with the potential bounce of bridges, RR tracks, etc, is asking for trouble.

To the OP, if ever returning to look...you do need to just get a TH, and use the garage for guests/office.

Jerry

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/19 01:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's my home made carrier and hitch. About 1000 lbs with the bike loaded. My pin weight was on the light side to begin with. With the bike loaded I need 300 lbs of gravel loaded in the fro t closet to get the trailer to pull ok. I still plan on moving the trailer axles back.

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

TazFord

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/19 06:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you looked at a side entry toy hauler. Room is much smaller the regular toy hauler, great for a motorcycle. Can still get bunks in some models

Life long camper, First time Fiver
2018 Starcraft Solstice 29BHS—2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

Fisher Bill

Tigard

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/19 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So I'd love to have a TH but the wife does not so I'm in the same boat but here's a video of a guy fixing a bumper from only carrying bicycles on a curt receiver on a stock 5th wheel bumper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIwtglKiBwk

This is why I would re-enforce any kind of carrier

2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> question on on hitches on the back of fifth wheels
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS