Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Front Bike Rack
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Front Bike Rack

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
TCI

Everywhere. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/19 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey all, so we got ourselves 2 bikes and had a receiver with 2 pins installed on the front of our 2015 Silverado 2500HD High Country. Now we have to find a bike rack. I've done some research and Swagman xc2, Hollywood, Thule and Allen Sports seem to have ones that will work. Wanted your input on brands/models that you have that works well. Thanks for your input!!!!

2015 31ft Keystone Montana Fifth Wheel w/3 slides
2015 Chevy Silverado High Country 2500 Short Bed Diesel Crew Cab
1 Cat
Fulltiming since Oct 06 - Sold the Stick House

amxpress

Clayton, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/19 06:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed a Curt hitch on the front of our 2500 and use this carrier by Thule:
Thule 2 bike carrier
I shimmed the hitch to cause it to tilt back a bit allowing greater road clearance when the carrier is installed.

2012 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4 long bed
2021 Airstream Bambi 22FB
Equal-i-zer hitch
Prodigy P2
Champion 3500 genny
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

Halmfamily

Munford, AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/19 06:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use a Swagman XC2 with our Curt front mount hitch. Bikes are rock steady. Be careful not to scratch the hood of your truck and remember you now have 2' of additional overhang up front.

2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/19 08:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Assuming it is a 2 inch receiver be sure to buy a rack that has a 2 inch leg not a 1 1/4 inch with an adapter for 2 inch. IMHO the smaller leg is not strong enough.
Our bikes in front bounce around quite a bit and we bunge them to the front of the TV. We have a Saris that is not made anymore.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

owenssailor

Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/19 10:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have used the Swagman since 2012. We average more than 8000 miles a year. It wokrs very well. Bikes are held very stable.

2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/19 03:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How is the visibility with the bikes on the front? And do you have problems fitting into parking spaces?

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/19 03:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dick_B wrote:

Assuming it is a 2 inch receiver be sure to buy a rack that has a 2 inch leg not a 1 1/4 inch with an adapter for 2 inch. IMHO the smaller leg is not strong enough.
Our bikes in front bounce around quite a bit and we bunge them to the front of the TV. We have a Saris that is not made anymore.

Why place bike up front where they block some view, possibly turn signals and head lights.
Why not place on a pin box receiver, no added length cab protects from most bugs and zero bounce.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/19 05:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

Dick_B wrote:

Why place bike up front where they block some view, possibly turn signals and head lights.
Why not place on a pin box receiver, no added length cab protects from most bugs and zero bounce.

I know if I add a bike rack someday it will be on the front of the truck like what they are talking about here. On our previous fifth we had our bikes on the pin box. Some of the reasons why I would want it on the front of the truck is for the ease of loading vs standing on a ladder or my tailgate, bugs are an issue either way at least it was for me. Not to mention if one is close to their RAWR it takes that weight off the rear axles. I can't imagine bouncing is that much greater on the front either. Now that the kids are older and don't camp with us anymore, we keep our two bike in back with the seats folded up. No worry from bugs, weather, or theft and easy to load.

Dan

2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

TCI

Everywhere. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/19 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey kids. So the ladder on our Montana is not good. It would not support bikes on it. Also the Montana does not have a rear bumper or even a place to install a receiver easily. That is why we opted to have the receiver installed on the front of the truck. We know there could be issues with lights and turn signals. But we try never to pull in the dark. Also we normally go between 200 to 300 miles on travel days. Once we are at a park, we could move the bike rack to the back of the truck on the receiver that's already there.

2015 31ft Keystone Montana Fifth Wheel w/3 slides
2015 Chevy Silverado High Country 2500 Short Bed Diesel Crew Cab
1 Cat
Fulltiming since Oct 06 - Sold the Stick House

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/19 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hammerboy wrote:

rhagfo wrote:

Dick_B wrote:

I know if I add a bike rack someday it will be on the front of the truck like what they are talking about here. On our previous fifth we had our bikes on the pin box. Some of the reasons why I would want it on the front of the truck is for the ease of loading vs standing on a ladder or my tailgate, bugs are an issue either way at least it was for me. Not to mention if one is close to their RAWR it takes that weight off the rear axles. I can't imagine bouncing is that much greater on the front either. Now that the kids are older and don't camp with us anymore, we keep our two bike in back with the seats folded up. No worry from bugs, weather, or theft and easy to load.

Dan

Well bikes on the pin box aren’t an issue if you have enough truck.
Even with the old 2001 Ram 2500 at 1,700# over GVWR still had axle and tire to spare.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Front Bike Rack
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.