Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Laryngeal paralysis question

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
DR: Doug:

Thank you so much, for all your help, that you have been to me and others on this forum. Very much appreciated!!

So here is the deal, my 15 year old lab has moderate laryngeal paralysis. ( which vets says Labs are the poster child for) On the other hand, Vet says he has moderate, to more than moderate plaque build up on the teeth. She states it will help him feel better for a time. I have no argument with that. And she Rx putting him under to do the teeth cleaning

However at 15 years old, with laryngeal paralysis, that of course is going to increase the risk of sedation. I do not think, that is a risk I want to take. I wonder? could you be so kind DR Doug, as to give me your thoughts? ( risk of killing him in surgery vs letting the teeth go uncleaned)
4 REPLIES 4

dturm
It depends on the degree of gum disease. There can be generalized health issues with severe gum infections that would warrant the risk of doing a dental in a 15 year old lab. Your vet is probably the best one to discuss this with you, let them know your concerns and they really need to convince you of the benefits, if they are in fact worth the risk.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Doc:

As far as I know, no broken teeth, or other dental issue, just lots of tarter, and gum disease.
So in this case, you would recommend staying away from it? If I am understanding correctly

dturm
Endotracheal tubes are used in dental procedures so the additional risk would be minimal with monitoring. I would not let laryngeal paralysis stand in the way of a needed procedure.

I don't agree with ppine. Generalized statements that don't consider each individual, their health status and the reasons for the recommended procedures are worthless.

If there is a specific reason for the procedure other than "routine cleaning" I'd have no issue recommending it. I'd have to see a serious dental issue to recommend that in a 15 year old lab.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Forget about teeth cleaning in senior dogs, especially if they have health issues. The risk is not worth it. You are dealing with what I call a "boutique vet." Do not let them make you feel guilty. I have a 15 yo Welsh Corgi with average teeth. Sedation is way too risky.