cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2006 GeorgeTown XL Battery relay clicking?

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
The automotive type ignition solinoid relay located above the coach batteries under the entrance step keeps randomly clicking on and off. Its partially behind a small circuit board in an enclosure box. Some times does it quite often and other times maybe once an hour. It Does this whether plugged into 115 AC or not. Does not seem to affect any 12 volt equipment inside the MoHo. What is this relay and what could be causing it to 'Trip' on and off? I've cleaned all the 12 volt connections, no help.:h
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"
8 REPLIES 8

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
I'm considering just disconnecting the darn thing.
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
Fixed ..... NOT! The 'Fix' lasted 12 days. Last night it started Clicking again! ???? Am I correct in that this relay and circuit board monitors the voltage difference of the Engine Batt. and the Coach Batts? I'm assuming it is a 'Smart' relay circuit that separates the engine Batt. if coach Batts get too low so not to drain engine Batt. and leave me stranded??? BTW; I'm helping a friend at campsite.
Joe & Charlotte

Gabby & Molly are Dogs

full-timer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for coming back on the fix.
An Indian and a Gypsy

Joe and Nancy
2002 34 foot Georgetown double slide Ford V-10
towing 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 4 Down

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
OK, here goes, the Fix. This box under the entrance step, apparently senses the difference in DC volts of the Coach and Chassis batteries per the electronic circuit board also in this box. It is supposed to open or close the 'Automotive ignition type solinoid relay which either parallels or separates the 2 battery sets, hence the loud clicking. Replaced this large solenoid relay, which is straight forward but not easy, problem solved.
Joe & Charlotte

Gabby & Molly are Dogs

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
jolooote wrote:
Fixed it, but since there was no interest there is no need to explain.

Just saw you post and thought the relay in question was for tying the two battery banks together. This should be automatic and also controlled by a boost sw. on the dash.
Only other thought, was for a battery bank being under some load and once it was recharged, it was closing to allow the other bank to charge.
However this shouldn't be all that much, save a bad battery, so maybe a loose wire on the solenoid coil or like problem.
I've had the same no response on occasion, but still came back with my solution........and yes, someone is reading and benefiting from it. In your case, there's been 125 people, so far.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
jolooote wrote:

Actually, quite a difference between "no interest" and "wish I could help, but haven't run into that one".
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
Joe & Charlotte

Gabby & Molly are Dogs

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
huuummm.... Nobody?
Joe & Charlotte

Gabby & Molly are Dogs