cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Ranger MPG

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looks like the new Ranger is falling short on MPG. Not sure what a .5 ton would do on this same drive, but the last F150 CC 4x4 Lariat I rented with the 2.7EB made 24 mpg running a Texas highway in the late summer time frame last year.

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"
31 REPLIES 31

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
JAC1982 wrote:
Who buys a truck of any kind to get good gas mileage?

I do. But it is about more than bragging rights. I don't like to stop for fuel very often. And, with the cost of gas going up lately I think that you are going to find more people concerned about fuel economy. It still needs to be capable but if I have a choice between two capable trucks with the main difference being efficiency I will definitely go with the more efficient one.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
My point is still that many people incorrectly believe that that generation of F150 was smaller. It wasn't.

The new Ranger, though larger than before, isn't in that league. Soccer mom or not.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
mountainkowboy wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
TurnThePage wrote:
It's interesting that people are comparing it to a late '90s F150 as though that were smaller than the other half ton offerings or even the 3/4 ton and above. It wasn't. In fact you could buy a 7 lug version of it called a F250.
Correct, it wasn’t until 1999 that Ford seperated the Superduty's from the F-150. Before that they all used the same cab and bed.

Cause the F150 became a soccer mom truck after that.

It was actually in 1997 with the debut of the new F150 and light duty F250, along with the introduction of the Triton engines. At that time, the HD F250, F350 and FSuperduty (F450) were still the coveted old body style (OBS) trucks.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
TurnThePage wrote:
It's interesting that people are comparing it to a late '90s F150 as though that were smaller than the other half ton offerings or even the 3/4 ton and above. It wasn't. In fact you could buy a 7 lug version of it called a F250.
Correct, it wasn’t until 1999 that Ford seperated the Superduty's from the F-150. Before that they all used the same cab and bed.

Cause the F150 became a soccer mom truck after that.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
TurnThePage wrote:

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
19 mpg is all my old style Ford Ranger did highway. 3.0 V-6 with 5sp manual. Cousin had a old style Ranger with the 4 cylinder that did around 28mpg highway.

Our 2011 Ranger 4.0 auto gets 17-18 around town and 22-23 on the highway consistently. Heck it gets 21 mpg at 80-85 mph on the highway
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
I found it interesting that the headline said MPG at 70mph but the only time I heard them mention how fast they actually drove they said 80mph. That was at stop number two just before they announce the 17.6 mpg. That would cause about a 20% drop in fuel economy. Also, I would really like to know what speed the EPA tests at and whether they use pure gasoline or the ethanol blend that we have to use in real life. Those two things could easily account for the rest of the difference.

MPG difference between 55 and 80mph would be -28%ish.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
19 mpg is all my old style Ford Ranger did highway. 3.0 V-6 with 5sp manual. Cousin had a old style Ranger with the 4 cylinder that did around 28mpg highway.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Who buys a truck of any kind to get good gas mileage? Gas mileage numbers are just estimates and they come up with them using optimal conditions...

As for me, my Explorer averages right around what they give for combined city/highway, and I do more on the city side of driving.... around 19mpg. Crawls up to 22-23 when I'm on a road trip. I have a lead foot as well.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I found it interesting that the headline said MPG at 70mph but the only time I heard them mention how fast they actually drove they said 80mph. That was at stop number two just before they announce the 17.6 mpg. That would cause about a 20% drop in fuel economy. Also, I would really like to know what speed the EPA tests at and whether they use pure gasoline or the ethanol blend that we have to use in real life. Those two things could easily account for the rest of the difference.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Where are the new rangers built? I wonder if they are one of the platforms they are talking about electrifying.

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever they are doing with the Ranger they better step it up. Those Canyons and Colorados are breeding like rabbits.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
We just had one as a demo at my work last week. It was a S/C 4x4 with the 6.5 box. It was parked next to my F-150, and although it was smaller, it is much larger than the past Ranger and is indeed similar to a Dakota or the current Colorado.

I liked the way it drove; it was definitely peppy with the 2.3L Ecoboost and it felt very solid with predictable, easy steering. It also braked very well, smooth and confident. It seemed like it needed to be revved quite high to get any good power out of it, however, and I found the engine to be quite noisy, especially outside of the truck. I feel that could use some refining; it should be smooth and quiet like Honda engines are.

The back seat was pretty much useless so the CC would be a must.

Ford is pretty proud of them right now, with very few rebates. We can actually still buy a F-150 for around the same money, but that will change after they have been out for a while.

We will be buying several of them so it will be interesting to see how they hold up.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes