cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flat towing EVs?

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I went back a few months in the Toad sections and saw no references. The 2018 Toad guide also is silent on the issue.
I posted here instead of there because the issue is more than a base plate and a brake actuator topic.
What say those way smarter than I am as to why it could or can't be done?
Puma 30RKSS
11 REPLIES 11

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
time2roll wrote:
There are no EVs that are allowed by the manufacturer to be towed 4 down. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Not sure if a dolly is even allowed for a 2WD.

Leafs can be towed on a dolly. (Front wheel drive).

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Just read on another forum that the Rivian Truck is confirmed by Rivian to be 4 down towable. There was a screen shot of his twitter confirmation. Better put a deposit down on a Rivian. Maybe Tesla will do the same with theirs.

Slightly off topic. The model y although not confirmed as being 4 down towable, it will have a hitch and tow rating.

Cool. ๐Ÿ™‚

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
Not to mention the dichotomy of towing an energy saving vehicle behind the most energy inefficient motor home...

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I like others are not aware of any EV that are rated towable 4 down. Some hybrid's possibly with the addition of a lube pump but no EVs

My SUSPICION and I really stress that word is it has to do with the braking system. But Again I stress SUSPICION.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Iโ€™m not aware of any EVโ€™s that can towed 4 down. We tow an EV but on a trailer. You can also tow a leaf on a dolly.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I concur no BEV that can be towed 4 down. Any time I've seen one being towed it was on a flat bed. Granted that has only been once.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are no EVs that are allowed by the manufacturer to be towed 4 down. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Not sure if a dolly is even allowed for a 2WD.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ford CMax, Fusion, and MKZ are plug in hybrids that can be flat towed.

The problem has to do with oil distribution inside the transmission while the vehicle is being towed.

Pure EV, check with each manufacturer.

eubank
Explorer
Explorer
The question, so stated, is just about as precise as asking the same of petro-motored vehicles. And the answer must necessarily be just as informative: It depends.
๐Ÿ™‚
Lynn

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
If it's not in the manual, drop the manufacturer an email.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
EV = electric vehicle?
Which one, specifically?
Then you check the owner's manual for that vehicle, to see whether it's possible. That's the final say for warranty purposes.
Simple?
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)