cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tahoe to Lassen

Normph
Explorer
Explorer
I intend to drive my 36'Diesel plus toad from Lake Tahoe to Lassen NP on hwy 89. Has anyone done this and if so, how was it?
Norm F

Norm F

9 REPLIES 9

cruzbill
Explorer
Explorer
I would park the 36' in South Lake Tahoe muni campground and use your toad to explore 89 on the west side of the lake. Its a spectacular drive, and you don't want to have to pass anything up because you are driving in a motorhome. 89 is closed to 40'+ motorhomes on the west side of the lake (tight curves). Travelling around the east side of the lake is just a touch less winding, still spectacular. Use hiway 267 to Truckee, then hiway 89 to Lassen. I think hiway 89 is the most beautiful drive in all of California (but I live here so I'm not impartial). Sierraville, RR museum in Portola, Quincy, Chester, the list goes on and on. Park the mh in Chester and see Lassen in the toad, the road is very steep! Bumpass hell is something to see, but I think the trail is closed until 2020 (check with the park). With all the snow this year, 89 thru Lassen might be closed until AFTER July 4th (again, check with the park).

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
The road around Greenville and Indian Valley is windy and a little steep, but a beautiful piece of country. I like Lake Almanor a lot. You could stay around there if the park CGs are crowded.

vegasfoodguy
Explorer
Explorer
wildmanbaker wrote:
I would not go up the West side of the lake. The West side (89) has some real narrow sections and blind switchbacks. Go up on the East side, once you get to Reno you can choose whatever road you want.

X2, 89 on west side is usually closed during snow months. Take 88 to 395 and North thru Susanville. Good road, easy drive.

Terry.
Monaco Diplomat, Cummins, 38a
Toad Grand Cherokee and Jeep Wrangler, Brake Buddy.

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
I would not go up the West side of the lake. The West side (89) has some real narrow sections and blind switchbacks. Go up on the East side, once you get to Reno you can choose whatever road you want.
Wildmanbaker

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Best in warmer weather. 89 is windy but doable. The easy alternative, but not as much fun would be I-80 to US 395 north and turn towards Chester.

MrWizard
had a wonderful july vacation there with my kids, a long time ago
would love to go back
we had night time temps in the LOW 30's in july (we were in canvas top popup), in the campground

be sure your heater is working

there was snow on top of Lassen peak in july, over 8200 feet if IIRC
be sure to visit "Bumpus Hell"
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Normph wrote:
I intend to drive my 36'Diesel plus toad from Lake Tahoe to Lassen NP on hwy 89. Has anyone done this and if so, how was it?

Just don"t do it in the winter months.

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
You should have no issues. If you intend to enter Lassen from the south side the climb is very steep to the summit.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is a good two lane, take your time and you will be fine.