cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let’s talk about that great Grand Design build quality

jim1521
Explorer
Explorer
I own a 2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS. I’m a member of the GDRV Owner’s forum.

We’ve all heard about how GDRV is supposedly better than the Thor’s, Forest River’s, Jayco’s etc. well folks, I’ve had enough. I’m ripping off this bandaid and going to expose them for what they are. Keep in mind - none of these are pictures of my RV, but I’m willing to bet that EVERY one of them could be mine.

I’m pointing you to a specific link on the owners forum. You decide.

GDRV: This must make you very proud...

https://www.granddesignowners.com/forum/showthread.php/21147-Rear-Underbelly-Stuff
14 REPLIES 14

SkiddyMiller
Explorer
Explorer
First post here.

Had no real surprises with my 2150RB, it is what it is. GDRV had some construction issues I liked, including solid slide room walls and the use of Furrion range/oven.
Areas that need some attention include the skirts, the edges are leathal, all the edges must be pool noodle wrapped when the slide is extended or if fitting wheel/tire UV covers.
Some of the design points leave me shaking my head. The battens are every four feet to cover the ceiling panels, why did they stick a vent so the vent frame overlaps the batten by an inch or so? The vent in the bath and shower skylight have the same issue only worse.
Under the cabinets and inside the bath vanity, there are “dust panels” that look like someone duct taped then stapled scrap pieces in place.

We have a couple of cold spots on outside walls near the night stands that I’m sure have no insulation at all. Have yet to check that out.

I had a screw driven into the over door valance that missed the support structure by an inch. The valance was about to shake itself loose from the two screws on the ends holding it in place. Luckily there were some extra screws in the water pump cabinet under the sink that allowed me to just drive a screw where it belonged and leave the factory screw in place doing nothing. I had to re hang the bathroom window valance, the support bracket screws had missed the wall backer/framing studs.

Friends have a Forest River Surveyor and a Rockwood, they have similar if not worse issues on build quality. The brand new Rockwood had no hot water on its second night of use. The water heater looked like it had been under water, either the dealer changed it out or it came from the factory in that condition. The numbers did match for warranty registration. The surveyor has had electrical and doors that will not stay attached issues.

I tell SWMBO that it is like they put lipstick on a pig, to hide the real animal underneath.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
With this thought in mind, I'll probably never get rid of my 96 Vogue(talk about build quality) I was interested in all the Hoopla about GD and frankly, I liked the looks of their TT's. I joined the owners forum on a Temp basis and the very first thing that stood out for me, was that most everyone on that Forum had visions of having to upgrade the suspension in Brand Spanking new units. Call me old fashion, but I couldn't help but ask myself WHY this was necessary? I didn't look too much more after discovering this.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Sadly these pics are just a drop in the bucket of what you read and see on the GD forum. If it weren't for the above average customer service you could just insert the name Thor, Keystone, Jayco, etc.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Customer service is the key. Having owned our Bighorn since purchasing it new in 2010, I'm a bit biased on build quality, esthetics, and amenities. We've been in GD Solitudes at shows and we still love our Bighorn. Build quality then is different than now. The only issue we have is fading decals, but we can replace those for a little over $1k by a local tech.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
Owning different brand campers since ths late 70' and a currant GD Solitude owner, I can say that all campers are made the same. I've found the support after the sale is better than others as long as it's in warranty. Personally I've has no problems with them with warranty things. Just lately made a claim on water dammage from poor design. Imagin my surprise when I get an email saying they would pay. My trailer is 3 yrs old and out of warranty. I'm far from a kool aid drinker but I though that was pretty good.
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
jim1521 wrote:

We’ve all heard about how GDRV is supposedly better than the Thor’s, Forest River’s, Jayco’s etc. well folks, I’ve had enough. I’m ripping off this bandaid and going to expose them for what they are. Keep in mind - none of these are pictures of my RV, but I’m willing to bet that EVERY one of them could be mine.

Hearing about something and it being fact are two different things. I do not see, that's see not hear, where Grand Design is any better or worse when it comes to build quality than many other manufacturers / brands. They make mass produced RVs pushed out the door as quickly as possible, assembled from the cheapest components available, like many many others. In Grand Designs case they use more Lippert stuff than almost anyone else from what I have seen right down to the Furrion electronics. No way around the Lippert stuff however in 2019 with anyone unless you build your own.

One day I may own one myself, would probably have bought a 2500RL TT last year on a impulse buy where the owner of the dealership made me an offer hard to refuse. If not for the fridge in the slide it very well could have been in my driveway right now.

Grand Design put their eggs in the better customer service basket from day one but as they have grown and gained market share, along with Winnebago becoming involved, that seems to be going by the wayside more and more as time goes on. At the GD owners forum you linked to, (which is not owned or operated by GD), it seems the factory input which used to be common on that board simply stopped recently with no explanation. A cut and paste from one of the mods.

"As you may have read elsewhere on this forum, it would seem that Grand Design has stopped interacting with customers through this Manufacturer's Corner. While we are working on resolving this . . . to make sure that your input reaches Grand Design, you should send it directly."

I've now owned 4 different brands and can look at all 4 of those brands, including the current one, and everything else available out there, and not wear rose colored glasses while doing so. Every manufacturer has their faults.

On this and other boards you always have a percentage of Brand Kool Aid drinking fan boi's who can't resist it because it's the brand they purchased. That's where a lot of the ooolala you hear comes from. Personally I prefer to see things with my own eyes. I was recently told on this board about Grand Designs use of real wood in cabinets and no use of staples. That's far from accurate. They use real wood for the cabinet doors, just like many other manufacturers. Everything else is vinyl covered plywood and fiberboard, and no staples? LOL.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

jim1521
Explorer
Explorer
Molex “press together” connector

STAY CLASSY GDRV! Way to instill confidence for your customers. Hiding this behind the coroplast so the customer won’t see it is a BRILLIANT strategy.

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
Like this
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

jim1521
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, those are power cables laying directly on a slide...

jim1521
Explorer
Explorer
How they replace tie wraps LOL

Expanding foam! Dangle the wires and then blast ‘em with foam. After all, that foam will last forever, right?

jim1521
Explorer
Explorer

Yeah, those are wirenuts.

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, no pictures unless you register. Maybe copy/paste over to here?
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

jim1521
Explorer
Explorer
Merrykalia wrote:
Unless you are member of that forum, you can't see any pics.
Let me see what I can do

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you are member of that forum, you can't see any pics.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW