Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

towing a car

Gray_Fox
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking about getting a Class "C" an was wondering what kind of

car is best to tow..Thanks for any response.
Gray Fox
2014 F350 4x4 Diesel Lariat
2009 HitchHiker-LS 34.5 RLTG
Always keep moving so you don't seize up.
15 REPLIES 15

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
kjburns wrote:
^ Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Five years ago, I bought a 2014 Fiesta ST. The Fiesta was listed as towable on the FMCA site. Later, I found out that the six speed manual transmission in the ST was not towable. Lesson learned...

As I always say in these threads, check the owner's manual. not some third person source. then if something goes bad, you might have some recourse as did some purchasers a few years back. the third person source is a good place for "INITIAL" screening, however, confirm and verify.
bumpy

kjburns
Explorer
Explorer
^ Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Five years ago, I bought a 2014 Fiesta ST. The Fiesta was listed as towable on the FMCA site. Later, I found out that the six speed manual transmission in the ST was not towable. Lesson learned...
2019 Dynamax Isata3 24FW

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
kjburns wrote:
To be towable, this model requires the Active Drive II transfer case with neutral.

Yes, I'm glad you mentioned that.
I have the Cherokee Latitude w/o the Active Drive II. ๐Ÿ˜ž
When I bought it in 2016, I was not thinking about toads behind MH's...oh well. ๐Ÿ™‚

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
Gray Fox wrote:
Thinking about getting a Class "C" an was wondering what kind of

car is best to tow..Thanks for any response.
Check HERE for some helpful lists of tow-able vehicles.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

kjburns
Explorer
Explorer
I've towed an 01 Jeep Cherokee, three different Grand Cherokees and now a 2019 Cherokee Limited with the Ready Brute Elite tow bar with surge braking. My new Cherokee has the optional 2.0 turbocharged engine, which is worlds different from the 01 Cherokee with the straight six. The old six would get about 12.5 mpg in normal city driving. The new 2.0T, with way more power and torque is showing 27.5 so far on an engine that's just breaking in. The EPA rating is only about 20 mpg. To be towable, this model requires the Active Drive II transfer case with neutral.

Depending on your needs, towing capacity and budget, something like the new Cherokee is very comfy, has 4WD and decent room. Several smaller FWD cars and others are flat towable. A lot of cars with manual transmissions are towable. Just make sure the car you want will work. For example, I bought a 2014 Fiesta ST thinking that all Fiestas were towable. It turned out that the ST model with the six speed manual wasn't towable.
2019 Dynamax Isata3 24FW

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
When we had the Class C we looked at many different vehicles to tow behind the rig. After deciding that whatever we purchased we would use even when we were not using the MH. Decided it needed to be comfortable and large enough for us and the dog. Decided on the 2015 Cadillac SRX front wheel drive. Blue OX supplied the tow bar and SMI supplied the braking system. Easy to hook up, tows really well, and stops perfectly.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
This is probably one of the most asked topics on this forum, and there are so many variables to consider the threads end up with folks just stating what they tow and why. But it's really just a process, at least in my opinion of first determining what type of vehicle you want for a toad, one that works for your perceived use. Secondly, you need to determine which vehicles that you would want or need are possible to tow four-down (I'm assuming that is the towing type you plan on). Remco has their towing list, and the vehicle manufacturer is a great resource- although not the only and final authority as some may say. Lastly you need to know how heavy your motorhome can tow as equipped and find a vehicle that fits within those parameters. Then you can begin the process of researching tow bar and braking systems that are acceptable to you. The order in which you do the process of research doesn't really matter. But if it isn't done correctly you can easily end up with a vehicle that doesn't meet your needs, is not easily towable four down, or is too heavy for your motorhome. Careful, methodic research will eliminate these problems.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:
Jeep Wrangler. Hands down it's the most fun and most useful option around.

Surely that depends what you want to do with it? For running into town for dinner or groceries, or for longer day trips on the highway, a Jeep Wrangler is hardly what I would consider ideal. For exploring back roads or off-roading, on the other hand, it's pretty hard to beat.

It's also (one of) the easiest to tow, 4 down.
No key in "run" position because the steering doesn't lock (on most newer models, afaik).
Choose from multiple base plates or special add on front bumpers with built in "knuckles" to connect to the tow bar/vehicle.
Blue Ox makes a wiring harness with a battery charger to keep the Wrangler battery up, so no run the engine every few hours or pull fuses.
No "run engine every few thousand miles or few hours to "mix the fluids".
It's pretty much plug and play, transmission in gear "D", transfer case in neutral "N", and off you go.
I think they (can) look good, and they aren't that uncomfortable to drive for long periods of time. Ours is shiny and new, and it does groceries as easily as it does off roading. Can't say that about most toweds, not even the AWD ones. It's the original mass produced 4X4.
IMHO, of course. :C
EDIT: I will add/admit, it doesn't get the best fuel economy, so if that's important, consider that, too. Ours averages around 18-20 mpg overall. They're heavy, too.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
whatever you do, check the owner's manual for 4 down towing instructions. if they don't say how to, don't do it.
bumpy

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
As said, off road = Jeep
Around town shopping cart and tourer (as in my case because it's what I already owned) = Chevy Sonic 4-down, automatic. I can haul bikes on the rear hitch of the car and haul kayaks or a 12' canoe on the roof racks. Interior storage is pretty good with the rear seat down.
I ran a separate charge wire in order to not pull a fuse when towing. The ignition needs to be in the "ON" position.
Every time I gas up I start the engine for a few minutes to circulate the tranny fluid.
Car is only 3000 lbs. and tows nice and easy behind my 24ft E450.

okiejoe
Explorer
Explorer
I have a PT Cruiser manual shift , itโ€™s all four down towable and very ligh, only 3125 lbs

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
MDKMDK wrote:

Surely that depends what you want to do with it? For running into town for dinner or groceries, or for longer day trips on the highway, a Jeep Wrangler is hardly what I would consider ideal. For exploring back roads or off-roading, on the other hand, it's pretty hard to beat.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Agree-- anything light weight that is towable 4 wheels down.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)