cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What gps do you use?

dom101
Explorer
Explorer
I have tried two types of gps, Garmin and Magellan. Both will failings. Am looking for best option. Google is good but I have to use data so I'd like one that doesn't require data. Any thoughts?
32 REPLIES 32

fullmoonoversal
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone use the Gaia GPS App? Downloaded it and will probably subscribe. Just wanted to see how others like it.
2017 Coachmen Galleria

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
pnichols wrote:
Campfire Time wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
Fizz wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
I don't use one,, my phone has "" MAPS""

Lets not get this argument going again.
A phone is not a GPS.
It shares some features but falls way short, assuming of course that one knows how to work a real GPS

Huh?

My iPhone has a GPS radio chip and a full database no different than any other GPS does.

In fact if you have the right software on your phone, and have access to a public (free) RTK base station you can take 1-2 cm RTK GNSS positions on a smartphone. This is accurate enough to legally make a land survey with.

How is that falling โ€˜way shortโ€™ of anything?

This is my question. Maybe 10 years ago that was true. However today, aside from maybe not having access to bridge height into, what is the difference? we rarely use our dedicated GPS anymore. Set a destination, download the maps, turn data off, and enjoy turn by turn voice navigation.

So ... are you saying that a phone can not have cell tower access and still navigate one all over the place ... assuming one bought a phone model with enough built-in memory capacity to have stored in it at all times a map database of all of the U.S. and Canada?

Our 3550LM Garmin can navigate us at any time anywhere in the lower U.S., Canada, and Alaska - of course without any "roaming charges". We also have over 400,000 custom Points of Interest at all times stored in it's internal memory (and could store even more POI's).

We do not like to be solely dependent on (spotty in the Western U.S. - still) cell tower access when we travel in our RV. We even carry along a Garmin satellite inReach device for text messaging and calling in emergency medical help when out and about. Our family can see where we're at from their homes whenever we're traveling and we're out of cell tower range ... by us keeping our inReach device turned on and hanging in the cab of the RV.

Yes, a smartphone (or iPad / tablet which doesnโ€™t even have cell capabilities) will work just the same as any other GPS unit. With most tablets you will need to use an external GPS dongle.

I use a Bad Elf GPS dongle on an iPad mini running Co-Pilot. The 8 inch hi resolution screen beats any stand-alone GPS hands down.

hondapro
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Garmin rv 760 I hate the thing and do not recommend it,I am going to try rv copilot with a Ipad
Steve
2023 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
2022 Keystone Sprinter 32BH
B&W Companion

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:

So ... are you saying that a phone can not have cell tower access and still navigate one all over the place ... assuming one bought a phone model with enough built-in memory capacity to have stored in it at all times a map database of all of the U.S. and Canada?

That is exactly the situation, if one downloads the maps, and it does work in practice. Most phones these days have sufficient storage for the map database; their hardware is not much different from that of a standalone GPS, in fact. I am pretty sure my low-end Android Tracfone has more built-in storage than my GPS (8 GB vs 4? GB), and certainly has more than enough space on the SD card I added for street maps of the continent (or world, at least if I cleared out some podcasts and music).

Live traffic data generally is not available on cell phone navigation apps without cellular data.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Our iPad is linked to a Stratus II and has maps (App) installed. it will cover anywhere.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Campfire Time wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
Fizz wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:

A phone is not a GPS.
It shares some features but falls way short, assuming of course that one knows how to work a real GPS

Huh?

My iPhone has a GPS radio chip and a full database no different than any other GPS does.

In fact if you have the right software on your phone, and have access to a public (free) RTK base station you can take 1-2 cm RTK GNSS positions on a smartphone. This is accurate enough to legally make a land survey with.

This is my question. Maybe 10 years ago that was true. However today, aside from maybe not having access to bridge height into, what is the difference? we rarely use our dedicated GPS anymore. Set a destination, download the maps, turn data off, and enjoy turn by turn voice navigation.

Our 3550LM Garmin can navigate us at any time anywhere in the lower U.S., Canada, and Alaska - of course without any "roaming charges". We also have over 400,000 custom Points of Interest at all times stored in it's internal memory (and could store even more POI's).

We do not like to be solely dependent on (spotty in the Western U.S. - still) cell tower access when we travel in our RV. We even carry along a Garmin satellite inReach device for text messaging and calling in emergency medical help when out and about. Our family can see where we're at from their homes whenever we're traveling and we're out of cell tower range ... by us keeping our inReach device turned on and hanging in the cab of the RV.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have used GPS . But, I know that locally it sometimes takes you the long way down the wrong road. But, if I was not from here I understand that using it would be an option. Gone are the day when stop in at a gas station and ask directions. These days most of those employees are just as lost as you are. lol

F350_RR
Explorer
Explorer
I use CoPilot on iPad and iPhone. Google Maps on iPhone for local running around.
Eastern US, Canada and France maps resident on both devices, no cell service required except for app & map updates and active traffic option. My iPad does not have cell but it can connect to internet via Bluetooth to the cell phone if needed.

GPS receiver is a BadElf. https://bad-elf.com/

The same setup is used with marine charts for the boat.
Doug

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
Fizz wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:

A phone is not a GPS.

Huh?

Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Having used several different Garmins and Tom Toms over the years, I find the Tom Tom user interface a lot easier to use. As I understand it, all GPS use one of only two available maps, so that is not a big factor. Learning to do the "Settings" will eliminate most of the odd routes that any GPS might suggest. Mine are right more often than not.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
dom101 wrote:
Thanks for all the posts. But in regards to Second Chances post (Have you used the search function on the forum? This has been discussed dozens - if not hundreds - of times) Rob if you type in what I posted, disregarding what replays we had today, you will find tons of post, nothing to do with what I asked. Has anyone else used the Rand Mcneil?

However, if you use Advanced Search feature and put GPS as the keyword and select Topic only, you get this which is Exactly what you're looking for.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Co-pilot RV on a tablet. The DW uses a TomTom, a wonderful "dedicated" GPS. TomTom took us down a 13% grade in the Catskills the first year we had it. Last year, TomTom tried to take us down a parkway with 10' high bridges and Co-pilot took us the right way. Whatever you get, make sure you can enter your rig's dimensions and that the GPS actually uses them to route you. Also, never select the shortest route.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fizz wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:

A phone is not a GPS.

Huh?

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
We use a Garmin for travelling and have been very happy with it. We have used it all across North America.

We also are happy with the Garmin on our boat
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks