cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAT Scale question

rfloyd99
Explorer
Explorer
I did something stupid, and someone here can probably help me figure it out.

A year and a half ago I weighed my truck and TT separately. I know I wrote down which ticket was for which vehicle, but I can't find that note, and after all this time I can't remember which is which.

The only clue: one ticket is has a steer axle weight and a drive axle weight (3200 and 3180lbs). The other one has steer axle wt of 200lbs, drive axle 0 lbs, trailer axle 6820lbs, gross wt of 7020.

I also vaguely remember that I may have done a separate weigh to try to figure out the tongue weight. Would it make sense that the 200lb "steer axle" wt is the tongue weight?

If so I find that hard to believe since the trailer specs show a "dry hitch wt," of 460. I realize that the 200 number is possible if I had a lot of wt in the back of the TT, but that doesn't seem likely. the only things at the back that were out of the ordinary were one bicycle hanging on the ladder, and the spare tire. the fridge full of food is slightly behind the wheels. All liquid tanks were empty. I added two heavy golf cart batteries on the tongue, which added about 100lbs. Propane tanks were probably half full.

So, this is really two questions:

1. Which ticket is for the truck, and
2. is it possible the 200 lbs is the tongue wt.?

Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Need to weigh truck/trailer together then drip trailer in parking lot and reweigh truck only in order to figure the differences in truck weights with/without trailer ---that difference is trailer tongue weight

Agreed.

Here's an article on how to weight a TT:
http://learntorv.com/how-to-weigh-a-travel-trailer/

And here's a tool for calculating the weights from it based on the resulting weigh slips:
http://www.towingplanner.com/ActualWeights/TravelTrailerCatScales

And the Weigh My Truck app is awesome for making this all easier:
https://weighmytruck.com/
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
hbillsmith wrote:
Were you standing on platform 1 with trailer on 2 then maybe the 200 is you 😉

That makes the most sense.

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
Were you standing on platform 1 with trailer on 2 then maybe the 200 is you 😉
Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
one ticket is has a steer axle weight and a drive axle weight (3200 and 3180lbs)..........Truck (150/1500)

The other one has steer axle wt of 200lbs, drive axle 0 lbs, trailer axle 6820lbs, gross wt of 7020.......trailer

No the 200# is NOT trailer tongue weight.
It is a 'mis-weighing' due to improper positioning on the three scale platforms

Need to weigh truck/trailer together then drip trailer in parking lot and reweigh truck only in order to figure the differences in truck weights with/without trailer ---that difference is trailer tongue weight
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
The one with 200, 0 and 6820 is your trailer.

The steer axle in this weight is probably where your tongue jack was. The trailer stretched past the second platform to the third, which is your trailer axles.

Although 200lbs if awful light for the tongue weight.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Kennedycamper
Explorer
Explorer
The one that's pretty even was probably your truck. No truck has a 200 lb steer axel.

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I would say the one with the two weights close together are the trailer. 3200 and 3180.

The tandem axle mechinjsm will divide the load fairly evenly.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer