cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup camera option

frisbeekev
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2018 passport 2920bh, it comes set up ready for thw furrion backup/observation system. That system system is very expensive. I I have found cheaper systems on amazon (ex:camecho system and others). Has anyone ever added one of these cheaper systems to the housing and/or wire that came pre installed on the camper. If so how did you do it, how did it work? If you just went with the furrion system how does it work?
16 REPLIES 16

Calisdad
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting. Are you handy? DIY:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UIG-31UCFU

and a Halo review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SmanTTro7g

2Rad4U
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ralph Cramden wrote:

LOL I was happy with the first one (You don't know hard it is for me to type that especially considering they're a Lippert partner) until I wasn't. It's not the warranty service at all, it's how they do business after the warranty that ticks me off to no end. As in no replacement or repair parts available (see my earlier post). That's play #1 in the Lippert Components play book, and since they're a "partner" it only makes sense it's in the Furrion playbook too.

Agreed. I won't be so happy if/when I have a failure outside of the warranty period.

I am almost ready to buy an extra set to put away. $250 is a steal.
Chris
2005 Rockwood 2516G (sold)
2005 Max-Lite 24RS (sold)
2019 Rockwood 2608BS (sold)
2020 Grand Design 337RLS
2018 Chevy 2500HD

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
2Rad4U wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
When I noticed the previous link about the Furrion for $250 I beat my head off the wall, sucked in my pride, and ordered another one. Probably made a mistake there. At least I may get 2 years out of it like before. I can live with the 4.3 inch monitor as not enough room with the GMC touchscreen, TPMS, etc in the truck for the 7" anyway.

You'll be happy with the Furrion. My warranty issue was handled immediately and I was issued the same model as I posted for $250.

The resolution is BETTER then my original (older model) camera and I could not be happier.

Do I expect it to last forever? NO. I don't expect any electronic device, especially when part of it is exposed 24/7, to last forever.

Good luck with yours. I've posted that ad on other forums and several have received theirs. It's a great deal.

LOL I was happy with the first one (You don't know hard it is for me to type that especially considering they're a Lippert partner) until I wasn't. It's not the warranty service at all, it's how they do business after the warranty that ticks me off to no end. As in no replacement or repair parts available (see my earlier post). That's play #1 in the Lippert Components play book, and since they're a "partner" it only makes sense it's in the Furrion playbook too.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

2Rad4U
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ralph Cramden wrote:
When I noticed the previous link about the Furrion for $250 I beat my head off the wall, sucked in my pride, and ordered another one. Probably made a mistake there. At least I may get 2 years out of it like before. I can live with the 4.3 inch monitor as not enough room with the GMC touchscreen, TPMS, etc in the truck for the 7" anyway.

You'll be happy with the Furrion. My warranty issue was handled immediately and I was issued the same model as I posted for $250.

The resolution is BETTER then my original (older model) camera and I could not be happier.

Do I expect it to last forever? NO. I don't expect any electronic device, especially when part of it is exposed 24/7, to last forever.

Good luck with yours. I've posted that ad on other forums and several have received theirs. It's a great deal.
Chris
2005 Rockwood 2516G (sold)
2005 Max-Lite 24RS (sold)
2019 Rockwood 2608BS (sold)
2020 Grand Design 337RLS
2018 Chevy 2500HD

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
CincyGus wrote:
I went with the new model Haloview.

Has solid reviews, better wireless signal for a longer distance than most wireless camera's, can run up to four camera's if you decide you want one for the left and right side when you turn on your turn signal, and is cheaper $$$$.

Most importantly, it came with a 7" HI Def monitor instead of the smaller crappy picture monitors I've seen on some setups.

Lastly, you don't have to buy a new system if the camera ***** out 12 months and a day after you bought it like with Furrion. You can buy a new camera for $90.

Hate Furrion's lack of ability to fix anything. It's replaced if under warranty, buy a new one if it's not.

Curious to know how that Halo works in regards to lag when used for observation at highway speeds. The Furrion had no lag whatsoever but the one I had from Garmin was a laggy POS, and low res to boot.

I almost pulled the trigger on the Halo but once configured it was close to $400 with high resolution and 170* viewing angle. I could not find any conclusive reviews as to the speed of the thing, despite good reviews on everything else.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I went with the new model Haloview.

Has solid reviews, better wireless signal for a longer distance than most wireless camera's, can run up to four camera's if you decide you want one for the left and right side when you turn on your turn signal, and is cheaper $$$$.

Most importantly, it came with a 7" HI Def monitor instead of the smaller crappy picture monitors I've seen on some setups.

Lastly, you don't have to buy a new system if the camera ***** out 12 months and a day after you bought it like with Furrion. You can buy a new camera for $90.

Hate Furrion's lack of ability to fix anything. It's replaced if under warranty, buy a new one if it's not.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

Ride_S40T
Explorer
Explorer
We went with the latest version of Furrion knowing full well there are a multitude of complaints about their quality. Also caught a few reviews that said they were pretty good. cra p shoot. But overall I think Furrion in general has sketchy quality. They should address this.

One thing we did notice. Some cameras are listed as "backup" and some as "rear view". Believe the cheaper ones are really good at just backing up but on the road there may be a bit of delay time in presenting the video. Meaning the car you see behind the trailer is actually now beside you.

Ours has a refresh rate that's pretty good. That said, it still has a pretty good delay as I see cars next to me (that appear to be just off the left rear of the TT are actually already a foot or two into the left rear quarter of the TT. Thus, those cars need to be further back than what I see before I pop out into the left lane...due to the delay. Refresh rate is where it's at.

When slowly backing, the refresh rate for any of them is probably negligible. FWIW.
2021 Grand Design 268BH
2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD 3500 SRW
Traveling K9s Diesel and Roger

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
Get something better IMO if you want it for that use. I thought I did as well, but once mounted I tried it for what you listed and good old mirrors works better for me. With that being said I drove a service truck for 25 year and became so dependent on mirrors I can’t even use the nice back up screen in my wife’s Lexus 🙂
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

Calisdad
Explorer
Explorer
I'd want one that could be on while I was traveling to aid in lane changes and such.

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
I went with the Furion wireless one due to convenience because they listed the part number right on the base. For the cost the screen quality isn’t very good. I only use it for the last 2-3’ when backing in so it works for what I use it for. Plug and play, easy setup.
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

Calisdad
Explorer
Explorer
http://tadibrothers.com They have better cameras and monitors than furion and an adapter for the furion mount

Thanks tdiller.
Did you decide on a model and if so how do you like it?

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good Luck. The Furrion camera on our 2017 Rockwood worked great for two+ seasons. Then something happened to the lens of the camera, never figured out exactly what but the picture slowly degraded over time until it was unusable. It was either due to water intrusion or the high quality plastic lens degrading from UV exposure.

The unit was beyond the warranty so I contacted Furrion to see if I could buy just the camera. You can't, replacement parts are not available. Their suggestion was to buy the entire kit, and to buy their new model the vision S which is priced @ $100 more than the previous model. They got me for around $320 first go around, and are not going to get me for another $400 or even $250.

Everything Furrion makes is low grade garbage which goes a long way to explain why they are partnered with Lippert Components. Had a Furrion TV in our current trailer, what a low grade piece of junk it was. When I bought the camera I had actually thought I had found something from Furrion which was actually decent. I was proven wrong, it just took awhile.

tdiller
Explorer
Explorer
frisbeekev wrote:
I have a 2018 passport 2920bh, it comes set up ready for thw furrion backup/observation system. That system system is very expensive. I I have found cheaper systems on amazon (ex:camecho system and others). Has anyone ever added one of these cheaper systems to the housing and/or wire that came pre installed on the camper. If so how did you do it, how did it work? If you just went with the furrion system how does it work?

http://tadibrothers.com They have better cameras and monitors than furion and an adapter for the furion mount

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
pbeverly wrote:
I went with the Furion and I am happy with it. You have to at least keep your running lights on for the system to work while travelling. It is nice seeing what is behind you and for making sure all is clear when changing lanes. Mounting and setup was VERY EASY. Some Amazon reviews stated it would lose connection when travelling at interstate speeds. The model I got has never lost connection and I don't even move the antenna on the video end at all. I leave it in its storage position. I have a 35' TT and F250 with 8' bed the the camera and the video unit are a good distance apart.

This is what I got: Furrion FOS43TASF Vision S Wireless Vehicle Observation System with 4.3-inch Monitor and Rear Sharkfin Camera

x2 on the furrion

installed on our first TT which was 33ft.. before we traded in on a 37ft I removed it. installed on current TT.

not cheap but it has served us well over 2 years. rarely drops signal and if it does only for a couple of seconds.