Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/19 08:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After a long search, (low mile vehicles are hard to find), I pulled the trigger on a 2014 Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel about two weeks ago.

Today was the first time I had a chance to tow with it as I helped a buddy pick up his new to him 21’ Cobalt. The boat weighs around 5500 pounds, and after the repeated hate threads I see here I had very low expectations of how it would handle this load.

I towed the boat from its previous owner to my house - around 50 miles of interstate. I was very impressed at how it handled the load. The Jeep itself felt very stable - not once did the tail try to wag the dog. And the engine/tranny combo really couldn’t have performed better. I set cruise at 65, and the EcoDiesel held it there the whole trip. There is one decent hill on the way home, and just for grins, I picked the speed up to 75 MPH and the Jeep didn’t flinch.

I’ve run two tanks of fuel through the Jeep since I bought it, and the EVIC actually matches up to my hand calculation very well (has averaged right at 25 MPG for the two tanks). And I don’t know if that accuracy will carry forward to towing, but the EVIC showed 15-20 MPG most of the way.

I know there are plenty of people who don’t like the small diesels, but I certainly see their place, and I think the Grand Cherokee is very well matched for it.

The next vehicle I will be replacing is our Yukon XL Denali. I hope that the new 3.0 finds its way into either a Burb or an Ex. If it does, that will likely be our next vehicle.

[image]

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

1995brave

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/19 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some people are just jealous of other peoples toys.

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/19 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the good review.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/19 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice looking rig! Personally I would have to remove anything that says "EgoDiesel" on it!

BTW a boat will tow straight as an arrow, it's the TT's you may have issue with!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

parker.rowe

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/19 03:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Awesome.

Can't wait to see how the new gladiator does, especially when they add the eco diesel.

Should be nice for smaller campers.

2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/19 10:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting, thanks for the review! I thought the Yukon was for boat towing chores......[emoticon]

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/19 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blofgren wrote:

Interesting, thanks for the review! I thought the Yukon was for boat towing chores......[emoticon]

It still is. We are a 4-vehicle family. [emoticon]

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/19 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great review. I am trying to convince my wife to get a diesel Grand Cherokee or Wrangler for her next vehicle. I think that is the perfect size of vehicle/application for this engine and its power output.

I don't think people hate small diesels. Most of the threads I have seen have been with some small diesel owners claiming their trucks can do things it cannot like keep up with a 3.5L Ecoboost or tow 9k lbs up a 7% grade at 75 mph when the horsepower says they can't and others bring them down to reality, but that doesn't mean people hate them. I would say the same if it were a gas engine with the same output.

Also, just because someone prefers an engine with more power doesn't mean they hate the less powerful option. It just means they prefer power over fuel economy. There are some vehicles where I think this engine is a great fit, and others where I would prefer a more powerful option.

* This post was edited 03/23/19 08:31am by ShinerBock *

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/19 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, at next oil change sub 2 qts of oil for 2 qts of Hot Shot Secret Stiction remover. You'll thank me when you see all sorts of white smoke upon re-start, but IT WILL clean things up. Trust me. AND it's NOT snake oil.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

stsmark

Northern CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/19 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A quick question, how do they handle DEF on the Grand Cherokee? Where’s the filler, tank size, indication. Is there a regen indication? Just curious.
Thanks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.