cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2013 Explorer

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
So I was going through my wife’s Explorer which is towable 4 down. It says to shift to N and turn off the key, well It’s a limited with push button start. So you can’t turn off the accessory, radio and other stuff stays on. Nothing in the Manila about disconnecting the battery. The other option is to shift it to N through the emergency shifter lockout in the console!
What do those of you with the push button start do?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!
5 REPLIES 5

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Thanks. No there still isn’t a kit. But they do offer kits with the diodes. That is what I will be going with. And it will have a charge wire so battery drain should be zero.

Yep, sounds like you'll be all set. Good Luck !

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. No there still isn’t a kit. But they do offer kits with the diodes. That is what I will be going with. And it will have a charge wire so battery drain should be zero.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Another question. When you have auxiliary braking, do you let the toad brake pedal actuate the brake lights or use a diode kit for the brake lights off the MH?
With the Explorer whenever you press the brake the cluster background lights up as well as the brake lights. This will keep the modules alive which will put a draw on the battery. I will have a charge wire so battery voltage isn’t an issue. Just wondering if you’ve run into any long term effects of letting the toad do the brake lights? And the dash lighting up?
Thanks again.

I use diodes. One thing you need to realize is the auxiliary brake unit (I use a brake buddy brand) only activates when needed. So under light or normal braking it doesn't activate, therefore neither would your brake lights. So, I use diodes and ran wiring to a 4-pin connector up front attached to the tow bar brackets (I have Blue Ox) for parking, turn, and brake lights from the MH. When I did mine there was not a plug and play kit for the lighting on Explorers, and don't know if there is one now.
Voltage has never been an issue, start every 6 hours like manual says to lube trans, and I don't use a charge wire.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Another question. When you have auxiliary braking, do you let the toad brake pedal actuate the brake lights or use a diode kit for the brake lights off the MH?
With the Explorer whenever you press the brake the cluster background lights up as well as the brake lights. This will keep the modules alive which will put a draw on the battery. I will have a charge wire so battery voltage isn’t an issue. Just wondering if you’ve run into any long term effects of letting the toad do the brake lights? And the dash lighting up?
Thanks again.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
While our explorer is a 2014 with key start,the situation is the same as you can't turn the key off unless in park. I use the emergency shifter release and put in neutral. The steering does not have an interlock. So, it's that easy. The manual doesn't show to do it this way, but I've towed in probably 8,000 miles or so with zero issues. I do start it every 6 hours or so per the manual to lube the trans. No battery drainage this way. I have driven over 13 hours at a time with just the brake buddy plugged in, no dead battery and no need to hook up a charge wire. Good Luck!