cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

towing light bar

3Fivers51
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2017 Jeep Wrangler that I flat tow and I am using a RVHW32 RV tow light from Towmate. I had a 2016 Wrangler and I would use the suction cups on the tow bar to stick onto the inside of the back window. The problem is the 2017 seems to have the rear window strips for defroster that seem to go down the window more than on the 2016. There is a problem with trying to get the the suction cups stay on over the strips. They will but not very well. I may have to take the spare tire off when I tow if I have too but I was wondering if there is anyone that has had this problem and if so what you did to solve it. I don't want to wire the Jeep to the RV's system because the signal from the RV to the light bar is wireless and it comes from the antenna that you plug into the trailer light plug. So this is how the brake lights and signals work. Also I plug the light bar into a hot 12V receptacle so my ignition is not on and the light bar is all LED's and uses hardly any juice. Any ideas, suggestions, opinions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,'
Bill
10 REPLIES 10

overdrive75
Explorer
Explorer
Not a jeep, by I hard wired the vehicle lights on our Exploder, and also have lights on the bike rack. Both are powered off the motorhomes lights.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
3Fivers51 wrote:
Klutchdust, Could you take a picture of the lights you installed on your toad? If you want you could send it through messaging. Thanks, Bill

I added wiring to use the existing bulbs . There are plug and play systems that look easy to install, use the toads wiring, and it’s done. I plan on using that for my new toad as my 08 wrangler is now for sale.

Something like this, I prefer Mopar for a Mopar vehicle, but that's just me.

Wiring Harness - 7-Way To Body Harness - Mopar (82211156AB)

3Fivers51
Explorer
Explorer
Klutchdust, Could you take a picture of the lights you installed on your toad? If you want you could send it through messaging. Thanks, Bill

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
aluminum frame

Would you be able to frame the plexiglass then install the frame using 3m tape ? It would be a semi permanent thing to use as long as you keep the vehicle as a toad. Would you have room to do that ?

I have seen exterior lights mounted to Jeep roofs, would that be option for the bar you have ?

Or fabricate a bracket off the rear tire carrier ?

3Fivers51
Explorer
Explorer
In response to bgum, how would I mount plexiglass to my rear window? It seems like a good idea but I am stuck on the mounting idea.
Thanks,
Bill

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
bobndot wrote:
On my Chev, I did not wire the lights thru the vehicles electrical system.
Separate sockets were drilled and 1157 bulbs were installed in those sockets within the OEM taillights.
I used a 7way round plug to plug into the rv but I only had to use 4 of the connections within that plug. All I have to do is plug it in to the rv to get running, brake and directionals. I hardwired the car end and zip tie under the hood when not being used. That way I will not lose the cable.

me too, then I added this to the front and built a cable to go from the coach to the Jeep. Once and done.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
On my Chev, I did not wire the lights thru the vehicles electrical system.
Separate sockets were drilled and 1157 bulbs were installed in those sockets within the OEM taillights.
I used a 7way round plug to plug into the rv but I only had to use 4 of the connections within that plug. All I have to do is plug it in to the rv to get running, brake and directionals. I hardwired the car end and zip tie under the hood when not being used. That way I will not lose the cable.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Duct tape?
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
A crossbar that fastens to the window frame with magnets? Mount two pads on the bar for the suction cups.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Mount a piece of plexiglass over part of the window and stick the lights to that.