cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Let's Talk Oils

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Cat C 7 pre cat 05 spec for uls or high suflur diesel for that mttr.

I have been using Delo 400 because of high zinc content and cam and pump etc.
I spoke with one tech who is using Delo synthetic and Rotella synthetic in his older Cats.
He says diesels will use or burn some Delo between changes
I had read everything I could find about hich oil to use before sticking with Delo.
Anyone running synthetic oil in their older pre ULSD cat engines?
Anyone reporting problems with cam etc using synthetic without zinc of course?
11 REPLIES 11

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Acampingwewillgo wrote:
RLS7201 wrote:
Oils explained.

Richard

WOW....that's quite the Blog...great info! Thank You.

X2, great info.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
Oils explained.

Richard

WOW....that's quite the Blog...great info! Thank You.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Oils explained.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
I switched to Rotella T6 and can actually hear the difference. Everything is more quiet. It lowers the sound of all the metal banging around in the Cummins engine.

badboy368
Explorer
Explorer
NOTHING but Royal Purple 15-40 for me. Do some research and you will see why.I would be glad to discuss this further if you are interested. Just way too much to type here.
40' pusher,350 turbo cat, pullin a 37' trailer haulin a drag car. oh yea baby

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
AMZ/OIL 15-40 Diesel Marine NON โ€œLEโ€ is top quality with everything your pre emissions engine needs!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
I buy my Delo 400 at Costco when it goes on sale for $29 for 3 gallons
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
"I spoke with one tech who is using Delo synthetic and Rotella synthetic in his older Cats. He says diesels will use or burn some Delo between changes"

Rule number 1, never say "all." That said:

All piston engines (gas or diesel) use oil between changes. Whether it burns, leaks, blows by the rings/seals, or vaporizes depends on the engine and how it's operated.

If you understand how a lubricant is made, DELO 400 is already a semi-synthetic lubricant. Google "ISOSYN" technology. DELO 400 just doesn't meet the strict definition (word salad) that boutique synthetic oil manufacturers require the industry to adhere to. Consider synthetic water. Does it really matter if it comes from a cloud, combustion, or electrolysis? Or if it's "all natural" from a mountain spring? Nope, it doesn't. It's all good.

For the price, DELO and/or Rotella is hard to beat in any approved application. IMO, keep doing what you're doing. If you have issues, chances are it won't be because of the oil.

Chum lee

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
I've used Delo for my CAT 3176b since I purchased it some 15 years ago. My rather non precise way of determining oil usage is measuring how much I drain opposed to how much I put back in. At most, out of the 32 quarts, I'm generally at about a half quart burned. Even at the longest interval, no more than a quart and I have a slight drip at the oil pump.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Many years ago I decided on Rotella over Dello because at a million miles the Rotella had a slight buildup on the inside of the block and the Dello did not ???? My reasoning... I have engines that can sit for years between uses and the slight buildup would protect the inter parts better.
If you are in the change oil ever year regardless, then I would not waste my money on synthetic.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO

Delo 400 and Shell's Rotella T, are damned hard to beat. My N series 855 Cummins thrives on Delo 400 15W-40

Some people try and cure problems bass-ackwards. Because where I drove Quicksilver temperatures could hit 122F. I had a 5 row radiator built. The engine coolant temp goes to 185F max even climbing hills. My concern was to keep turbocharger oil temps within reason. So I have a 5 minute engine after-run. No way in hell am I paying premium money for a 55 quart oil change. Changing the element in the C-750L Luberfiner filters soot. So someone tell me -why- synthetic would be a bonus? Is it to try and cobble design shortcomings?