cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Steering Wheel and spinning the captain's chair

Monkeyman_and_L
Explorer
Explorer
So, this will begin my second REAL year of RV'ing with my Class A.

The problem I have is that when we get to a final destination I set up my Captian's chair to face our entertainment center. Now, you would think this is an easy task. Not really. I end up battling the tilt wheel steering to get the chair in place.

Maybe I'm just not doing it right or something, but is there an easy way to get the chair to swing around and then be in a position that doesn't feel like I'm damaging the chair OR the steering wheel when I've got it spun around??

2018 Newmar Baystar 3414
Monkeyman, Lady and little chimp
2018 Newmar Baystar 3414
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid TOAD
16 REPLIES 16

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
Horsedoc wrote:
Slide the seat toward the steering wheel. Sounds weird I know but then it spins around the back will be further away from the wheel as it turns. You might tilt the seat back forward a bit also.

We use the same procedure to swivel the seat on our 2013 Winnebago Adventurer.

1. Tilt the wheel all the way up
2. lower the left arm rest to the position it will be in when driving.
3. Tilt the seat back all the way forward.
4. Move the seat as far forward as possible.
5. Spin the seat to face the passengers compartment.
6. Move the seat to the farthest back position to allow the seat back to clear the steering wheel when returned to the upright position.
7. Move the seat back to the upright position

The arm rest will go under the steering wheel when lowered. If left in the upright position it will bind against the steering wheel.
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Slide the seat toward the steering wheel. Sounds weird I know but then it spins around the back will be further away from the wheel as it turns. You might tilt the seat back forward a bit also.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would rather the driver's seat NOT spin. but Ill fix that later.

I have had to move it forward and back and forward again to get it turned around more than once.. FOr all practical uses the spin on that unit is a waste of parts.. Which is why I want to lock in forward. WELD would be ideal for me.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
For my Bay Star Sport the process is... Steering wheel tilted as far up as possible, Seat back titled forward, left arm down. Iโ€™m fairly sure I slide the seat forward.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
My wheel tilts flat and we put a table and plants on it. Careful placement of the table means you won't blow the air horns and scare the spouse putting on the windshield covers.:) A push of the button and the seat swivels into position. I don't adjust it any so when we're ready to leave it simply swivels back in place. If yours is stubborn, you might want to spray some dry lube on the seat base....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I to have that deal where the wheel tilts flat and I have a table attachment that goes on there. It came with my Monaco DP

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Be careful which way you rotate the chair. . . be sure to turn it back the way it came from. I once continued to turn it in another turn and the wiring harness for the driver's seat unplugged, and I was unable to manually move the chair (without a huge project) with no electrical power to the seat.

There are so many IQ tests out there.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy wrote:
way2roll wrote:
Slide the seat all the way back on the rails, tilt the seat back all the way forward, pull the arms up, tilt the steering wheel up, rotate the seat, and adjust for comfort.

Almost the exact same routine except I leave the left arm in the down position and it slides right under the steering wheel.

Same here.

Monkeyman_and_L
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like I'm not alone.

I'll continue to work on a sequence. The tilt on the F53 chassis isn't tilt as much as it's "tilt" Don't think it telescopes, but I'll check.

Now if I can keep my spousal unit from trying to close the slide out and take the chair for a ride...I'll be okay.
Monkeyman, Lady and little chimp
2018 Newmar Baystar 3414
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid TOAD

Y-Guy
way2roll wrote:
Slide the seat all the way back on the rails, tilt the seat back all the way forward, pull the arms up, tilt the steering wheel up, rotate the seat, and adjust for comfort.

Almost the exact same routine except I leave the left arm in the down position and it slides right under the steering wheel.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
My wheel tilts completely out of the way. It actually tilts so far forward that it is parallel with the floor. We have a round table top that sits on it when we are parked at use it as a table for my hat, wallet, and keys.

One pull of the leaver and I can spin around grab my lunch tray and patiently wait for a sandwich.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Slide the seat all the way back on the rails, tilt the seat back all the way forward, pull the arms up, tilt the steering wheel up, rotate the seat, and adjust for comfort. I find my biggest pet peeve is putting it back to drive so that the seat and wheel are set up to where I like them again. Usually takes about a million and a half micro adjustments to tune it back in.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
My Dynasty was fairly easy and you would think my longer Navigator would be too...NOT. I have to do all of the normal things plus lower the front of the seat and raise the back. Even then it helps to have the engine running so the steering wheel moves easier as I force the back of the seat around.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
That telescoping steering wheel I forgot about....my older unit just has the tilt function hence not as easy...of course it could also be all the misc stuff I've added too. LOL
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)