cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What Tire Monitoring System to get?

tbloemsma
Explorer
Explorer
There are many TPMS. What on works best for Class A Motorhome use?
18 REPLIES 18

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
Never mind.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Five2o wrote:
Just check pressures from time to time...replace tires after 5 years. TPM is pretty worthless and just another distraction. jmo after 9 years.

Over the past 8 years, our TST system has alerted us to sticking brake calipers on both our toad and motorhome, a failed wheel bearing on our toad, and a couple of tire air leaks on both the toad and motorhome. Any of those events could have been much more costly if not caught quickly. There's valid safety reasons why all cars and trucks under 10,000 lbs built in the past 10 years have been required by the NHTSA to have a TPMS installed. There's nothing distracting about a TPMS until it alerts on a potentially dangerous condition. And that's when you want it to attract your attention...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Five2o
Explorer
Explorer
Just check pressures from time to time...replace tires after 5 years. TPM is pretty worthless and just another distraction. jmo after 9 years.

Fishbreath
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've had the TST system with flow-through stems now for two years. I have had more issues with them than I care to think.
Several of the stems worked intermittently and were sent back under warranty. The flow through stems are very hard to fill. Can take a long time. Installation can be tricky. You have to screw the stems on "just until the air stops leaking out the threads". If you over tighten then, they won't work.
Another issue that disturbs me more than anything was me hitting a curb and knocking off the complete valve stem. Everything broke off and fell to the ground. Not knowing that I had hit the curb, I kept driving. The monitor never went off! I noticed a handling issue and pulled to the side of the road and discovered a flat tire. The monitor never indicated a loss of pressure to the tire. TST's answer to this was that it only reads an active monitor. A lost sensor won't tell the monitor that it is gone.
Their sensors also do not play well with valve stem extenders. You may need to replace your extenders with valve stems that will allow proper fitment.

FWIW
Bill

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Monkeyman_and_Lady wrote:
TST. I still want to hack the frequency and make a more real time monitor though. I am not a real fan of the cycling through the tires even though I know it's keeping an eye on the tires at all times.

433.2 MHz if you want to try yourself.

The TST system instantly displays the affected wheel when an alarm trips. That works well enough for me. I'd rather keep my eyes on the road than on the TPMS... ๐Ÿ˜‰
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Monkeyman_and_L
Explorer
Explorer
TST. I still want to hack the frequency and make a more real time monitor though. I am not a real fan of the cycling through the tires even though I know it's keeping an eye on the tires at all times.

433.2 MHz if you want to try yourself.
Monkeyman, Lady and little chimp
2018 Newmar Baystar 3414
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid TOAD

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
TST, 40 ft coach and toad pressures read without a repeater. Just changed out one of the batteries, took 10 minutes because I have the outer covering.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

emiddleb
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever you choose, get a system where the sensors have user-replaceable batteries. My system is not, and it's a pain to have to send the sensors back and purchase a replacement, discounted or not.
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Roadmaster Tow Dolly

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using the TST 507 for about 18 months. It is very reliable and I have had no problems with it. I use the repeater and even with a 42 foot coach, it reads my toad tires without problems.

The advantages in my opinion are:
  • Replaceable batteries
  • flow thru sensors
  • senses temperature
  • easily programmable limits and alarms for pressure and temperature
  • Automatically disables toad tires when out of range (i.e. using toad)
  • monitors sensor battery levels
  • clear and easy to read display

I bought my system with flow-thru sensors (12) which works great. If I was going to do it again, I would stay with the flow-thru sensors for the coach, but use the smaller and lighter sensor caps for the toad.

VMSpc is working to integrate the TST system into their program.

P.S. I read a few times where people have said the flow-thru sensors are slow to fill, but personally, I have not observed this to be true. Certainly for the few times I have needed to adjust air pressures, it has not been the case.

Not sure how accurate the temperatures are, but they seem realistic. I use a hand held thermometer to check them when stopped.
2006 Monaco Camelot 42-DSQ
09 Blazer 20' Covered Trailer
Toad - 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
My Website

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
bobkatmsu wrote:
ncrowley wrote:
TireMinder is my favorite. Great customer service.

+1
+2

I have it on the coach and the toad.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

bobkatmsu
Explorer
Explorer
ncrowley wrote:

+1
2010 Newmar Dutch Star DP
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

tarnold
Explorer
Explorer
Having just done this, I will offer the following: price..? Queries seem to indicate that they all work as described. Warranty..? 1 year, 3 year, lifetime. Features..? Some you set the high AND low psi alarm, some are Factory set within the โ€œboxโ€ , seems that most have a hard set temp alarm. Better ones come with a separate repeater booster. I went with the Tire Traker. With it you set your base psi and it alarms at 15% under and 25% over your base setting. It will sense rapid or slow psi drops and will alarm. It was easy to program. 7 day a week support, I tested this with a question last Sunday, and they did answer the phone! Make sure that the Xmitters have replaceable batteries. Flow through seem to stick out too far, and to me anyhow just present another place for leaks.

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

William_B
Explorer
Explorer
TST
Full timing since 2004
2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45' DD Series 60
2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Limited

Our Blog