cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do Skylights Just crack?

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't been up there for about 6 or 7 mos. Didn't notice it then, but I wasn't looking either. It makes me wonder if it's been there all along for 5 years, but due to the tint of the plastic, I just never noticed it. It's just been sitting in the drive way since Oct.

Anyway, recommendations?

Do I pressure test it before going to the trouble of replacing it? If it doesn't blow bubbles, should I go ahead and Dicor over it and seal it up? Or get a new one and check for water damage? We did have some significant rain over the last couple months, so there's that. I sprayed some water on the crack,but it didn't suck it or seep in. :h

2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's
12 REPLIES 12

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies.

In researching, I discovered that using regular Dicor is a no-no on Lexan. "May cause material to crack". Well, That's what I used last year and that's what happened. Didn't know. Oh well.
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Rancho 9000's

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:
MFL wrote:
I agree, you need to replace yours, rather than trying to repair. I have noticed the UV rays tend to harden the plastic/lexan over time. While it is too late in this case, I have found that using Protect All on mine, a couple times a year, and wiping with 303 between times, seems to keep it more soft and pliable.

Jerry

The other thing to do once replaced, is to install vent covers. We replaced the original on our 5er with some inexpensive Camco covers about three years ago. Well we lost one in a strong wind storm this last winter, so replaced it and one other (Cracked) with MaxxAir covers then. About a month later we lost one of the remaining Camco covers in another wind storm, so replaced the remaining two. The MaxxAir have a six year warranty.

MaxxAir Vent Cover
I have never seen a vent cover for a skylight but you do need to replace that one. Mine cracked last year and I was lucky it only leaked in the shower. I got mine from Amazon.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

map40
Explorer
Explorer
I have several RVs, they all always crack. What I do is as soon as I buy the RV I put a really heavy coat of through-the-roof over it (1/4 or 1/3 in). It is a great sealant, transparent, and gives extra UV protection. Never had to change them again.
Alfa SeeYa
Life rocks when your home rolls

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
I agree, you need to replace yours, rather than trying to repair. I have noticed the UV rays tend to harden the plastic/lexan over time. While it is too late in this case, I have found that using Protect All on mine, a couple times a year, and wiping with 303 between times, seems to keep it more soft and pliable.

Jerry

The other thing to do once replaced, is to install vent covers. We replaced the original on our 5er with some inexpensive Camco covers about three years ago. Well we lost one in a strong wind storm this last winter, so replaced it and one other (Cracked) with MaxxAir covers then. About a month later we lost one of the remaining Camco covers in another wind storm, so replaced the remaining two. The MaxxAir have a six year warranty.

MaxxAir Vent Cover
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Richmcm
Explorer
Explorer
Had to replace our shower skylight last year. Cracked developed last winter. Old and cold caused it. Purchase a new one from Winnebago. Easy installation. Used a multi tool to remove the old sealer.
Rich & Diane
2006 Aspect 26 A
Nitro 640 LX

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II

Jerry

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
As for covering it with metal, it won't be that much more expensive to replace it like it was. Life changes and down the road you may find you need/want to sell the RV. A cobbled up repair like you are contemplating may well drive off potential purchasers. I'm a fan of doing things right.

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, so I pulled the interior trim and there are small cracks in 3 corners. Definitely needs replacing. Doesn't appear to be any water damage--that I can see, other than this discoloration.

What's it made of anyway, lexan? Do they make them in a longer-lasting material? Fiberglass?

I don't stand in the shower anyway. I spend as little time in there as possible. I don't need to be comfortable. I just assume forgo the skylight, screw a piece of metal down, dicor it, paint it white and call it good.

QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Rancho 9000's

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Judging from the size of the cracks, I bet you have water issues underneath. I'd remove it as well and see and if minor replace it with anew one. They are cheap.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
UV light causes that plastic to harden and become brittle and then break up. Once the cracks start, it wonโ€™t be long until it just crumbles. Replace it. Might as well do that now and be done with it. You will have no choice in the matter soon anyway.

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
I had this happen on my AF.

I could see the water in it from the inside. I took it off and separated the two halves to clean out the water.

Put it back on, sealing the two halves with Dicor. I reinstalled it with the screws going through some 1" 18 gage metal banding to help spread the pressure and then sealed the outside, high enough up on the plastic to cover the crack. No problems now for 4 or 5 years.

I found a new skylight back then for I think around $140. Never did order it.
Joe & Evelyn

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
They get stiffer and weaker over time and finally the flex breaks the plastic.

My thought is why take a chance. They aren't horribly expensive, they're not horrible to replace, and if you do have water damage, it would be good to find out before it becomes a horrible experience.

JMO of course.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"