Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Unusually good aurora tonight
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

 > Unusually good aurora tonight

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
profdant139

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 11/14/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/23/19 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Aurora forecast

Someday, I will see the aurora . . . .


2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."


GordonThree

Northern Michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 05/19/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/23/19 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They never look that good in person, unless you have magic eyes or are in a polar region. Slow shutter photo blends the bands together into waves, and brings out a lot of colors.

Still cool to witness. The forecast said Friday night for Northern Michigan, nothing happened. Hoping for some tonight but won't hold my breath. The news gets all excited I guess it's better coverage than what's happening in DC.


2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

FLY 4 FUN

Alberta

Senior Member

Joined: 11/27/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/23/19 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of the unique things about Canada's arctic is standing outside and watching the northern lights dance across the sky. As a former weather observer I was getting paid to enjoy them all the time. Spectacular and awe inspiring.

Daryll


2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

Orion

Pacific South West

Senior Member

Joined: 10/21/2002

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/23/19 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably not tonight Josephine! This is from Spaceweather.
NOAA forecasters said there was a 75% chance of a CME impact on March 23th. That means there was a 25% chance of no impact. Indeed, we're still waiting for the CME to arrive. The tardy arrival could mean that either (1) the CME missed or (2) it is moving more slowly than expected. Either way, the chance of storms is waning as March 24th aproaches.


Everyone has an accent, Yes, even you! ">

sue.t

Ibex Valley, YUKON

Senior Member

Joined: 08/05/2004

View Profile



Posted: 03/24/19 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I took this photo April 2015. You can see more photos of Northern Lights on my website http://yukonsights.ca/Aurora.html
[image]


sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

explorenorth

Whitehorse, Yukon

Senior Member

Joined: 02/21/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 03/24/19 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last night's awesome aurora didn't happen. I spent about 5 hours out waiting at a good photography location, then gave up...

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 05/19/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/24/19 01:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The light show was cancelled due to budget constraints

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

Senior Member

Joined: 12/28/2015

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/24/19 04:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have had solid cloud cover for the last 2 nights. I kept going outside and looking but all I saw was reflected lights from the town 20 miles south of me.


Bob & Dawn Married 31 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired


Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 07/28/2003

View Profile



Posted: 03/24/19 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skunked again.

Whenever some 'celestial' event is announced I know for sure it will be cloudy that day/night.
We spend the Summer at the cottage, pitch black at night. Always cloudy on those special nights.
OK, maybe 90% of the time

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 05/19/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/25/19 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The CME eventually showed up late on Sunday, but it was much weaker than forecast and only made glancing contact.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

 > Unusually good aurora tonight
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS