cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cdn Postal Code

Canada_Irl
Explorer
Explorer
Can someone please tell me what numbers to use to obtain gas at USA station that requires input of postal code when you are using a Cdn credit card??

Thanks Irl
8 REPLIES 8

ghooos
Explorer
Explorer
It is not an obligatory procedure everywhere. Many points have canceled it as far as I know. But you always can check in Google. Area codes correspond to the official database which is free and accessible to everyone. So even if in some places you need to state zip code, just look for them online by the name of the location. It is simple and quick. But be sure to use the latest versions of codes.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Or just get a USA credit card! Many Canadian banks have US banks as well and will give you a US account. You can also add a US address to your Canadian card. Use the address for a USA CG.

Moisheh

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
For example:

S4S 7K4 becomes 47400

If it does not work, you can go into the station and prepay.

I know that Costo, in the last 2 months no longer required me to enter the postal code.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Talleyho69
As I understand it from our Canadian friends, the US zip code that is often required at gas pumps in the Us is 5 digits. The Canadian postal code is 3.

I just did a quick search, and the results said that if you needed 5 to just add two zeros to the end like two of our Canadian members posted above.

We need to get this information out there.

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
Being from the US either a wrong key entered or any other issue will cause my card to be shut off. Easily.

Talleyho69
How about doing an online chat with the card issuer and seeing what they say???

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
You just use the numbers of your postal code and add 2 zeros for a total of 5 numbers. Works for us 90+ percent of the time.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
I have tried various methods, some work sometimes other times not. Seems to depend on the card carrier, area of the US and even the station brand. One that I tried and worked once only, was to use the 3 Numbers in your area code, followed by 00. Ours is L0G 1W0 so 01000.
The only sure method involved going in to the cashier with the credit card or using your debit card at the pump.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.