Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car battery

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Really didn't know where to post this.

We tow a car and leave one at home. My question is about the one left at home. If we are gone 4-6 months at a time, is it okay to disconnect the battery and leave it sit for that long? And which should I disconnect....negative only, positive only, or both?

I want to know if the battery will likely still work when I reconnect it after that long unattended. And is it very bad for the health of the battery? This battery is about a year old. (That's because we left one hooked up previous summer that was already a few years old 😮

Any other suggestions, besides having someone drive it now and then?
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara
11 REPLIES 11

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
I would unhook the battery, and since there's a chance of self discharge from heat, also use a battery tender or similar trickle charger. Starting batteries do not like being discharged and left that way.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Oh yeah. The heat! I just hope it's not a scorching summer. I'll just have to take that chance. At least the car is in the shade of the carport. Sedona generally runs in the 90s in the summer. I will definitely put on the charger when I return.
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget about battery self discharge. Even unplugged they will lose charge. It all depends on the average temperature. Here in Minn over the winter, we can go easily the entire winter, and still be at 90% of charge. If the avg temp in Arizona when you are gone is 105, then you maybe have about 4 mos. before they hit the 50% mark. Now 50% is the recommended lowest they should go for longest life, but you can go more. Just plan on putting them on a charger when you get back. Or move them indoors, where at 70, they can go almost 15 months before getting to 50%.
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
A lot depended on the car. Some use power even when off. Automatic headlights on some use electricity power. So does a remote start . Disconnect the negative battery and take off,
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
You mean that's better (or more definitive) than just driving the car for several days before we leave?
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
+1 to just disconnect. Although if you have a small charger you may want to put it on and top off that battery for 1 to 3 days before you roll.

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Perfect! That's what I wanted to hear about. I will disconnect the negative.

I never felt good about leaving a battery minder plugged in while I am gone. Just never know what could happen...connection unexpectedly heats up, rats in my carport chewing wires, etc.
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

garym114
Explorer
Explorer
The battery is far better off if you just disconnect the ground cable.
2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
The tow batteries in our boat and the one in the Miata and the one in the John Deere sit in place all winter with the Neg lead disconnected. The batteries are always fine after 5 month.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

Viewfinder
Explorer
Explorer
With a fully charged battery, air up your tires and disconnect the battery ground.
As a snowbird, am out 6 months or more at a time. Don't have power for a battery minder where the car is. Both ways work fine.

jim

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Janss wrote:
Really didn't know where to post this.

We tow a car and leave one at home. My question is about the one left at home. If we are gone 4-6 months at a time, is it okay to disconnect the battery and leave it sit for that long? And which should I disconnect....negative only, positive only, or both?

I want to know if the battery will likely still work when I reconnect it after that long unattended. And is it very bad for the health of the battery? This battery is about a year old. (That's because we left one hooked up previous summer that was already a few years old 😮

Any other suggestions, besides having someone drive it now and then?

we put ours on a battery minder. keeps the battery topped off.
http://www.batteryminders.com
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle