Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Towing capacities aren't realistic, completely unachievable
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Towing capacities aren't realistic, completely unachievable

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
grampachet

West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/19 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If my old 2004 F250 had a stick instead of auto trans I would have a greater towing capacity. Wouldn’t that have to do with warranty instead of safety?

2004 F-250 KIngRanch,CC,SB,SRW,4x4,V-10,3.73
2008 Montana 3000RK

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/19 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

grampachet wrote:

If my old 2004 F250 had a stick instead of auto trans I would have a greater towing capacity. Wouldn’t that have to do with warranty instead of safety?

Yes, GCWR is to protect the drive train, for warranty purpose. In many cases though, the auto is rated more than stick.

Jerry

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/19 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Guess I'll toss my $.02 into this. We had a '15 F350 SRW, cc,4x4,sb,6.7 w/a GVW of 11,500. It weighed 8500 set up ready to tow. Rear axle capacity was 7,000, tire capacity was 7280. Bought new RV in spring of '17. Dry weight was 14,000, max was/is 16,000, pin wt of 2860. So empty wt wise, I had 6480 on rear axle out of 7000 and total empty combo wt of 22,500 out of 23,500. Now, fully loaded, things shot up. Rear axle went to 7360, Pin 3740, truck GVW 12350, gross combo 24970.

So what does this all mean? I was over on truck's rear axle, GVW, combo GVW as well as the tires. Also had Torque lift upper/lower stableloads. Truck did very well towing it and we liked the truck very much. HOWEVER, it was just plain over everything and when it came time to plan for last years summer trip (FL in July/Aug), I had this nagging gut feeling about being over on things....especially the tires. I really didn't care about the truck being over, but the tires really bothered me. So we ended up getting a '17 F350 DRW,cc,4x4 and all "fears" went away. Yes I miss the SRW a ton, but safety /w the wife and crew w/ me won over my love for the SRW.

FWIW, IMO, I personally think that a RV w/ gross GVW over 15k is DRW territory. Yet we saw many a SRW trucks towing as heavy of RV as ours and God bless them.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/19 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sad when people think "my rear axle is rated to carry XYZ so all I need is bags and 19.5's"

Sorry but there is much mort to it than that!

But hey it tows just fine!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/19 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

grampachet wrote:

Yes, GCWR is to protect the drive train, for warranty purpose. In many cases though, the auto is rated more than stick.

Jerry

The reason for the higher Tow ratings in the 1990’s and earlier 2000’s was the automatic transmissions were not as strong as the manuals. Nowadays the automatics are stronger, Ram has dropped the manual for 2019, they were the last holdout.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/19 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Sad when people think "my rear axle is rated to carry XYZ so all I need is bags and 19.5's"

Yes it does! [emoticon] Please elaborate, on your statement!

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/19 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

backwater83 wrote:

New to this forum, but looking for advice. My truck is a 2014 F350 SRW. Stated fifth wheel capacity is 15,900. I'm looking to buy a 39 foot 5er that weighs in at 14,400 with a pin weight of 2900. No way I can tow that because my cargo capacity is 3113. Once I put me and a bucket of chicken in the cab, I'm over weight. Pisses me off. I saw that Ford increased their super duty towing capacities on their 18-19 models.

The listed fifth wheel towing on the '19 F350 is 21,000. Problem solved. Its only gonna cost me 70 thousand dollars to get a truck that can tow the 5'er I want. I went to the dealer and looked at the door sticker on the '19. Guess what the cargo capacity is... 3200 pounds. What the holy hell! That's the same as I have now!! the '19 wont pull the camper either.

So I did some research. There isn't a 5th wheel out there over 14,000 lbs that has a tongue weight less than 2800 pounds. There is NO WAY the '19 truck with a listed 5th wheel cap can tow anywhere near the stated 21,000 pounds. ****, why not give it a 50k tow rating? 21,000 is just a meaningless arbitrary number that you'll never EVER be able to tow and stay in your weight rating!

I DO NOT want to buy a DRW truck. I put 50k miles on per year without towing, so yeah, it's a daily driver.

This is serious false advertising.

What do I do here? I'm trying to do things right but I feel like I'm going to have to tow overloaded just like the 70 percent of other people out there who I laugh at for towing WAY too much weight.

First off, RELAX! We =all= feel your pain as we're pretty much all in the same boat. Now, check your RAWR and your tire ratings. If you can keep your payload within your RAWR and tire ratings, go for it. Remember, these numbers are CYA driven to be pretty conservative. Hell, most 250/2500 trucks use the exact same components at their 1t brothers, but they short a leaf or 2 from the springs and put smaller brakes on them; otherwise the part #s are the same on most of the rest of the truck. I know that I was towing my old Komfort at about 1k over my combined GVW and had no problems in the 13 years I did so. My new KZ is > 800 lbs ligther, but I'm still just over my CGVW. In both cases, I was within my axle and tire ratings...easily, and never felt like the tail was wagging the dog.

As others have said, get some real-world #s from others who have the same FW as the one you're looking at and see how they work out for you.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 62 Year Member

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/19 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

memtb wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Tows just fine, I am sure it does. Let's say you are trying to avoid an accident or on a 6% downhill grade and someone cuts you off and you have to make an evasive maneuver the SRW configuration will NOT compare to a DRW plain and simple.

Big question is can the modded truck "HANDLE" the long and heavy RV???

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/19 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

backwater83 wrote:

My issue is with the truck manufacturers advertised towing capacity. That number is completely unattainable based on cargo weights being so low. Use the 21,000 lb number for example. The cargo weight is 3200 pounds. There are NO trailers that weigh anywhere near 21000 pounds that wouldn't overload the cargo cap, so you'd never be able to tow what the manufacturer boasts, the manufacturers are misleading consumers big time. Just annoying.

Well, I've got a 21k GVW gooseneck trailer and I can load it so the rear of my 3/4t truck comes off the ground. Do I do that? No, but I =do= watch my load placement and the squat on my truck so I don't overload the rear end and tires. With a FW, you just don't have that option. BTW, I towed that GN with a small tractor on it from N of Bakersfield to PHX without an issue. Was I over my CGVW? You betcha; by a lot! Did I ever feel uncomfortable? Only from the surface of I-5 and 215. [emoticon]

Lyle

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/19 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

memtb wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Both Cummins and my post answer your question I feel.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Towing capacities aren't realistic, completely unachievable
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.