cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Windows 10 run as Administrator

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I have upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I am listed as an Administrator user yet Windows 10 keep asking "to run as administrator". How do I get W10 to understand that I am an administrator.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
11 REPLIES 11

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
j3ff9ack wrote:
T18skyguy wrote:
When you make yourself an administrator, it puts you at risk somehow? Can someone explain how that happens?

If you run as administrator all the time, and you happen to visit a malicious web site or open an e-mail with a malicious attachment, the malicious code then executes with administrative privileges and can easily exploit your entire computer and others on your home network.

If you run with normal user privileges and do the same thing, the malicious code only has your user privileges and the amount of damage is minimized due to the lower privilege.

This is much more important when you are on a corporate network with thousands of other computers than if you are just at home, but the same principle applies

X2

j3ff9ack
Explorer
Explorer
T18skyguy wrote:
When you make yourself an administrator, it puts you at risk somehow? Can someone explain how that happens?

If you run as administrator all the time, and you happen to visit a malicious web site or open an e-mail with a malicious attachment, the malicious code then executes with administrative privileges and can easily exploit your entire computer and others on your home network.

If you run with normal user privileges and do the same thing, the malicious code only has your user privileges and the amount of damage is minimized due to the lower privilege.

This is much more important when you are on a corporate network with thousands of other computers than if you are just at home, but the same principle applies
2007 Jayco JayFlight 27.5 RKS
2014 RAM 3500 SRW CC CTD 68RFE

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
On my last PC I had multiple recovery options. When it went bad, every time I tried to recover it said "you are not an administrator" So I make sure I'm always an administrator now.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Turn off the UAC (User Account Control).
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Why do you always need to be administrator? That prompt is for your protection, mainly to stop "hidden" installs from happening without your consent.

Exactly. Leave it alone. It's functioning as designed, and it makes sense.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Fizz wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
Why do you always need to be administrator? That prompt is for your protection, mainly to stop "hidden" installs from happening without your consent.

The Administrator has a password not shared with the kids etc.

The safest way is to only run as admin when you need to, i.e. when installing programs, creating a new account, or editing certain settings.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:

The Administrator has a password not shared with the kids etc.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed