Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Television storage and cold temperatures
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Television storage and cold temperatures

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
FLY 4 FUN

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/19 08:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yep, they get shipped in unheated trucks to places where it cold enough that mercury freezes! All that's required is to ensure the tv gets to room temperature well before its plugged in and powered up. As noted the worry is condensation being present when power is applied...

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

Red-Rover

NW Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/19 09:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all of the thoughtful replies. The idea that destruction is caused by powering up when cold makes me realize what has been happening. Last autumn the grandchildren camped with us and set the alarm feature on the TV to turn on in the middle of the night then turn off after an hour or so. With the trailer parked in a remote shed all winter, plugged into a 30 amp service, it would have powered up every night for the entire winter with no one to witness. I discovered the alarm function being on during our first night out this season but just didn't think through the consequences.
You folks are a great source of practical knowledge -- thank you.

2014 Cougar 313RLI
2017 F250, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab, Short Bed

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/19 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Red-Rover wrote:

Thanks for all of the thoughtful replies. The idea that destruction is caused by powering up when cold makes me realize what has been happening. Last autumn the grandchildren camped with us and set the alarm feature on the TV to turn on in the middle of the night then turn off after an hour or so. With the trailer parked in a remote shed all winter, plugged into a 30 amp service, it would have powered up every night for the entire winter with no one to witness. I discovered the alarm function being on during our first night out this season but just didn't think through the consequences.
You folks are a great source of practical knowledge -- thank you.

Frankly, I rather doubt that had anything to do with it.

Condensation happens when the television (or whatever) is cooler than the dew point of the surrounding air. If the TV is cold and the environment is cold when it is turned on, the heat will prevent any condensation that might possibly form from forming. The only concern--and I personally think it's generally overblown, but it is still somewhat of a valid concern--is powering electronics on when the device is cold but the surrounding air is warmer (and not bone dry).

I would guess the television just happened to fail, as electronic devices sometimes do, particularly those made to be as inexpensive as possible. My uncle has a television that had a partial backlight failure after sitting in and being used in his living room for a few years, no cold temperatures being involved; it's just a consumer good that breaks down, like anything else.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Television storage and cold temperatures
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS