Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Television storage and cold temperatures
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Television storage and cold temperatures

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Red-Rover

NW Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/19 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am about to replace my 4 year old factory provided Legend television and am seeking a brand that will tolerate cold temperatures during storage. My present Legend has suffered what appears to be delamination. The display has a kind of shadow in different parts of the screen.
My RV is stored inside an unheated shed and a temperature of -21 degrees Fahrenheit was experienced last winter.
Years ago when LCD first became popular I read of some RV'ers removing their TV to indoor warm storage in the winter months but am thinking some brand must have engineered a fix by now?

2014 Cougar 313RLI
2017 F250, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab, Short Bed

steved28

Bellingham,MA,USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/19 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't definitivley say my TV can withstand your environment. But I have a Samsung that has withstood temps to around 0F this Winter. I also like the Samsung smart TV's as they have options to connect to the internet or a smartphone that others do not. If you are into that sort of thing.

2019 Winnebago Sunstar LX 35F
2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sahara

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/19 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I remember reading nonsense on the internet, so it had to be true, the liquid inside the Liquid Crystal Displays would freeze [emoticon]

I've not had a problem with storage all the way down to -20F. If the TV was still cold, screen wouldn't react as fast as when it's warm, leading to blurred motion, but that quickly passes.

RAS43

Littleton,CO

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/19 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 32" Visio flat screen that has been in the trailer for 5 years without any issues. We store the trailer outside without any cover and temps. here can go well below 0. I believe that most name brand televisions would give the same results.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/19 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The shadow effect sounds to me more likely to be a backlight failure or at least aging/breakdown than an LCD problem.

LCDs can withstand very cold temperatures without damage. Car radio displays, GPS displays, and car dashboard displays are very often LCDs and generally stay out in whatever cold happens to be there, year after year, and don't die from those effects. A TV set is not really any different technology.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/19 01:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be cautious about bringing something frozen -20F indoors.

Condensation can form on circuit boards and if there is dust that's all that's needed between IC pins to prompt a failure.

shum02

Burlington ON CDA

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/19 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

Be cautious about bringing something frozen -20F indoors.

Condensation can form on circuit boards and if there is dust that's all that's needed between IC pins to prompt a failure.

I don't use our TV for about a day. Let it warm up slowly with the camper. Taken it out of hibernation from -30C(COLD!) to 20C/70F. Never an issue and the set is a Best Buy house brand unit that is over 8 YO.

2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/19 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Red-Rover wrote:

I am about to replace my 4 year old factory provided Legend television and am seeking a brand that will tolerate cold temperatures during storage. My present Legend has suffered what appears to be delamination. The display has a kind of shadow in different parts of the screen.
My RV is stored inside an unheated shed and a temperature of -21 degrees Fahrenheit was experienced last winter.
Years ago when LCD first became popular I read of some RV'ers removing their TV to indoor warm storage in the winter months but am thinking some brand must have engineered a fix by now?

Most will list the low operating temperature and the low storage temperature in the specifications.

Choose the tv you like, then check the specifications.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/19 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cold temp's do not bother it unless you turn it ON in cold temps or take it from say -20 to 80 degrees (and yes it need not be that big a change)

THink about this for a minute... Say the TV is being shipped to. oh. say Iron Mountain MI (WAY UP NORTH) or even farther north (Canada).. it sits for days in a way below zero semi trailer not heated.. Bouncing down the road in a cold semi trailer.

I swapped one of my CRT's for a LCD almost on day one. Wintered two years in Detroit. (or was it 3) no problems lasted many years. I finally replaced it oh about 8-9 years later when it went bonkers (never that cold again) New ones do not get that cold cause I'm full timing,and as the song says "I'll follow the sun".

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/19 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

SNIP

THink about this for a minute... Say the TV is being shipped to. oh. say Iron Mountain MI (WAY UP NORTH) or even farther north (Canada).. it sits for days in a way below zero semi trailer not heated.. Bouncing down the road in a cold semi trailer.

Another SNIP

My DW wanted to bring the tv from our first 5er inside the first winter we had it. I brought up this exact point, and I haven't had to unmount a tv yet.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Television storage and cold temperatures
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.