cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Michelin tire: Agilis CrossClimate LT

JW2
Explorer
Explorer
I have been researching tires to replace my factory tires. Came across these. Look very interesting. I would be looking at their LT version. I have not heard about these. Anyone know anything about them? Look to be too new to have any / many reviews out yet. Lots of info on their web page, and they carry the 3 peak mountain snowflake certification:

https://www.michelintruck.com/tires-and-retreads/selector/info/agilis-crossclimate

Some of their text reads:

Michelin Will Launch Agilis CrossClimate on April 1, 2019.

โ€œOur Most Durable Heavy Duty Light Commercial Truck Tire - Professional-Grade Construction โ€œ.
13 REPLIES 13

specta
Explorer
Explorer
"winter tires" I love them.

My drive home from work today was about 135 miles. TONS of thick fog and about 70 miles of 1" packed icy snow.

The road was wet from the humidity in the fog for quite a while. I didn't realize just how slippery the road was until I was going up a small incline around a bend and my truck went down one gear which broke the rear end loose and the rear tires decided not to follow the front tires. Yep, pretty slick.

My owner's manual states that when using the cruise control and slippage is sensed it disengages the cruise control, but it doesn't. Never has.

This is were winter tires are a huge advantage over all season, AT and MT tires.

Aggressive tires like MTs are great in deep snow but don't provide near the grip winter tires do on packed and slippery surfaces.

I am very please with these Michelin Agilis tires.

I have never bought tires because they last a long time.

I buy tires to serve a specific purpose and if I get a miles out of them well that's just a bonus.

I bought these because they are "LT commercial" with stronger sidewalls to help with the weight of my camper. Being "snowflakes" was a bonus for me.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
kohldad wrote:

To me, it looks like the same tread pattern as their M&S tire except with a softer compound to get the snow flake. One thing to remember is to obtain the snow flake symbol, the compound must stay soft at cold temperatures. Softer the tire compound the quicker it will wear out, especially during hot summer temps.

That to me this a plus. I drive a lot in adverse weather.
Kenny

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Nomadic Diesel wrote:
I have a 2018 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 crew cab long bed with a 2003 Lance 835 truck camper with 400 watts of solar and Victron components. My 2000 watt inverter-charger is hard wired.

You lost me on this one. :B
Kenny

Nomadic_Diesel
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2018 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 crew cab long bed with a 2003 Lance 835 truck camper with 400 watts of solar and Victron components. My 2000 watt inverter-charger is hard wired.

specta
Explorer
Explorer

I have about 8000 miles on mine and love them.

I bought them because I felt they were the "heaviest duty" load range E tire.

I'v had them in the snow and they did just fine.

These are the 6th set of tires I'v had on my truck. Hancook, (never again), BFG (I got 50,000 miles on the BFG), Cooper, Big O (made by Cooper), Yokohama (not sure I'd ever buy another set of these either), and now these Michelin Agilis tires.

I only average 30-35,000 miles out of a set of tires. I don't mind replacing them every year. I buy them n the fall so I have new tires for the winter.

These were by far the most expensive. Almost $100/tire over what i paid for the others.

They have something like an additional 31% more nylon than their other LT tires and they weigh about 6-7 lbs more than their next best LT tire.
Kenny

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
3 peak tires have less life because the compound is designed to grip at low temperatures. I canโ€™t imagine youโ€™d need 3 peak tires in Western WA, but I donโ€™t know what you plan to do. Some tire models have both a 3 peak and non 3 peak version.

You donโ€™t mention your truck, but weโ€™ve had very good luck on snow with Toyo Open Country AT II tires. They have a number of sizes including LT. We use them on older Explorers.

You probably also want to consider the load rating to see if you might give up load capacty.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Nomadic_Diesel
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased the Agilis Cross Climate for my rig. I love them specifically because of the reinforced sidewalls. Extremely comfortable and superior wet traction.

Bradymydog
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Grit Dog, Lots of good information on this site.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And welcome bradydog!
Good choice in tires!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I would t base the bad mileage wear rating on much since it apparently beat other tires that are known to have decent wear.
I can tell you matter of factly unless it has some magic in the rubber that is not anything I'd consider to be near a snow tire. Especially not here in greasy snow western WA but not likely anywhere.
Agree with the post on AT3s. Had a set of them on a F250 in AK and they were good in snow for an all around tire, not awesome, but good.
Here's a tip, take any tire you like, the more aggressive and harder the tread the better. Have Les Schwabs sipe them and instant snow tire with good treadwear.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bradymydog
Explorer
Explorer
First post, so its worth the price you paid for it.
I have a 2018 GMC 3500 CC SB, SRW. I just purchased a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3 XlT's 295/70/R18 129 load rating. I have a Bigfoot camper, (3360 dry) and the OEM Goodyear Wranglers (265/70/18's 124/ 3525 load rating) were nearly maxed out. I wanted the additional load rating of 4080/tire. The tires are aggressive and have a 60K milage warranty. Super quiet. I did a lot of research as my truck only has 4250 miles on it and changing tires at this point was a major decision. No mods to truck to get 35's to fit!

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Looked interesting until I read the comparison results of the Agilis wearout of 24,500. But given they estimated the Transforce At to wear out at 22,000 miles, have to take any of the results with a grain of salt.

To me, it looks like the same tread pattern as their M&S tire except with a softer compound to get the snow flake. One thing to remember is to obtain the snow flake symbol, the compound must stay soft at cold temperatures. Softer the tire compound the quicker it will wear out, especially during hot summer temps.

Unless you need the snowflake because of where you drive in the winter, I think I'll pass.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
CLICKY
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro