cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inverter and Solar Basics

themoons
Explorer
Explorer
My newish motorhome has an inverter and solar panels. I'm not exactly sure how they work. My understanding is that the solar panels automatically charge the batteries (Do I need to turn them on?) and the inverter makes it so I can run some of the outlets off of the power from the coach's engine. I'll be diving into the encyclopedia-like manuals this weekend to try to figure it out, but thought I'd ask here for a quick "dummies" guide to get me started.

Thanks in advance!
7 REPLIES 7

MrWizard
the solar panels should be connected to a controller, that is connected to the house batteries under the step

with out knowing the panel wattage and the battery type and amphrs
we can only give the most general advice

the inverter should be connected to the 'house' batteries NOT the engine battery
the engine has nothing to do with the inverter or solar, it will in 'most' cases
charge the engine battery first and house batteries second, while the engine is running

i do not see a signature in your post
you might have put some info in your 'profile', i have not looked at that
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

themoons
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the tips. I thought I had included my info in my signature. I guess not. Hopefully this works now. I bought it used, so I don't really know how many watts of solar I have. There are two panels and two batteries under the steps, I believe.

MrWizard
Put the make , model and YEAR of RV
In your profile
Or signature of your posts

If your solar is correctly installed
The output of the controller goes directly to the batteries
And is always connected, unless you physically disconnect it

You need to identify how much/many watts of solar power you have
And how large a battery bank you have

All this will be a big help to our understanding your system and helping you
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

older_fossil
Explorer
Explorer
Be aware that unless you have a large array of solar panels that you will have somewhat limited power from those panels and only when in direct sunlight. Depending on the size of your inverter, the inverter is capable of drawing large amounts of power out of your batteries quickly. You need to learn about power generation, usage and management in RVs. I'd recommend studying something like:
http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm

Art
Art & Barbara
2016 Tiffin AB 37AP
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Become friends with your solar charger.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
You do not need to turn the solar panels on. They have blocking diodes that do that automatically, so that are always connected. Do be aware that if you ever need to disconnect things, for repair or to replace a battery or any other reason, you must disconnect the solar panels before you disconnect the charge controller. Reconnecting, you must connect the charge controller before you connect the solar panels.

If you put the rig in storage and use a battery disconnect switch to prevent discharge of the batteries, be sure to disconnect the panels before using that battery disconnect switch. Solar charge controllers can be damaged if connected to panels without already being connected to a battery.

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
The solar panels are always connected and typically charge only your coach batteries. For some motorhomes, they also charge your engine battery.

An inverter gets 12 volt DC power from your coach batteries and supplies 120 volts AC to some of your AC outlets. Your coach batteries will receive a charge while the engine is running.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN