Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Hearing
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Hearing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/19 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vw triker wrote:

have tinnitus and hearing loss as well, I have an appointment next week to get it checked out. How do hearing aids help with tinnitus? The hearing loss I can deal with, it's not "that" bad, the wife would disagree, but....the tinnitus is driving me nuts.

Some tinnitus can be caused by some of today's OTC drugs, Ibuprofen/Advil, for one. After I found out it was a potential side effect, I stopped taking Ibuprofen and my tinnitus stopped.

Mike.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/19 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only way I know of that hearing aids "help" with tinnitus is make the ambient sounds louder and drown out the tinnitus. AFAIK, that's about the only "treatment" for tinnitus, depending of course on the reason for the tinnitus. Some ear infections and other medical problems can cause tinnitus, which may be able to be mitagated medically.

I have the Oticon with the Streamer. The Streamer broadcasts to the hearing aids using FM radio, and it receives using Bluetooth. It helps by eliminating outside noise while listening to TV or telephone. But unfortunately it doesn't help much with the music that plays over the dialogue on TV. The Oticon hearing aids also have different programs that you can use to somewhat fine tune how they work. But it is only moderately successful.

Personally I doubt that anything can really be done without making the aids pretty large and even more expensive. You'd need some kind of programmable software to sort out sounds and frequencies. Not much really works excellently.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/19 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MDKMDK wrote:

2oldman wrote:

MDKMDK wrote:

I have no hearing aids or psaps but am considering several.
x2. I'm not there yet even after years of playing in rock bands, but the technology is probably pretty good.

OP may want to look into an upgrade.

I was looking at a pair of the "Six Million Dollar Man" ITE models. They're sort of in the gray area between a hearing aid and a PSAP, but they say they're FDA approved as hearing aids. I have low to moderate hearing loss (from my music choices like Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, etc.) also from playing in a few garage bands, and they look like they might help, with 4 different programs/volume levels available. They're also not overly expensive. Compared to full blown audiologist approved hearing aids.
Absolutely make sure you take full advantage of a long trial period. Sometimes the aids will feel fine initially but become painful after several days of wearing them all day. Just remember if they are uncomfortable you won't use them, and you'll just have wasted your money. I've seen it a number of times with relative.

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/19 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been wearing hearing aids a long time due to loss at higher frequencies (and mild tinnitus). Listening to TV was always a problem with them because some speech involves sounds with high freq. like consonants and I'd often miss words.

Couple of years ago I got some new fancy digital Phonak ones (not cheap!). What a difference! They take high frequencies and "downshifts" them into a somewhat lower freq. range that you can hear better. Not a perfect solution but much better than the old ones (around 10+ years old). Costco had the best prices we could find.

Hearing aids have improved a lot in just the past few years. The various manufacturers have apps for dealing with tinnitus that may or may not help. You need to see an audiologist for an up to date assessment. I have a bluetooth adapter for the TV but have never used it.

Gil, Deb & Dougal a 15 year old Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH, shocks and Endurance LRE tires
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD crew cab, Bilstein shocks, heavy duty trailering option

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/19 11:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hearing Aid technology has advanced in seven years. Maybe you will benefit from something newer. Good luck.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/19 01:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can return hearing aids within 45 days of receiving them for full refund if you find they are not suitable for you.

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/19 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Myredracer,
I also have Phonak hearing aids (Audeo B90)and the TV connector via bluetooth. It is amazing how well you can hear the TV using that device. Also, the wife can mute the TV during a phone call, or listen to it at her comfort level without affecting my listening at all.

The only drawback to it would be that you have to wear that necklace around your neck. I just tuck it under my shirt. I would urge you to try it out since you already have it and am pretty sure you will come back here and thank me. [emoticon]
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
2019 Ram Limited 1500, 5.7L Hemi, 4x4, SB
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

Charlie D.

E. Texas-Orange

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/19 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the Oticon via the VA. I have had Tinnitus for so long I have become accustomed to the point I don't consider it a big bother.

One or more of you commented on consonants. During my last exam and testing that was my main issue. I have noticed that if I cup my hands at my ears with the aids in the voices are clearer.

It's the background music on taped shows that bothers me. You would think that when programs are edited and background music added they would realize how loud it is. May be a conspiracy?

Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

NavManCan

On the Road Again

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/19 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

MDKMDK wrote:

2oldman wrote:

MDKMDK wrote:

I have no hearing aids or psaps but am considering several.
x2. I'm not there yet even after years of playing in rock bands, but the technology is probably pretty good.

OP may want to look into an upgrade.

I was looking at a pair of the "Six Million Dollar Man" ITE models. They're sort of in the gray area between a hearing aid and a PSAP, but they say they're FDA approved as hearing aids. I have low to moderate hearing loss (from my music choices like Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, etc.) also from playing in a few garage bands, and they look like they might help, with 4 different programs/volume levels available. They're also not overly expensive. Compared to full blown audiologist approved hearing aids.
Absolutely make sure you take full advantage of a long trial period. Sometimes the aids will feel fine initially but become painful after several days of wearing them all day. Just remember if they are uncomfortable you won't use them, and you'll just have wasted your money. I've seen it a number of times with relative.

If i do get them, and they improve my hearing even a little, I'll endure the pain. I often get tired of being the "before" guy in the commercials all the time.

KCFDCapt

At Home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/19 06:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a set of Phonak aids with the ComPilot. So does the DW. She uses the TV link. I have a new set on order that eliminate the ComPilot.

So much for hearing aids. We both have a very difficult time understanding the TV audio. I went to the Video control panel and found various program categories. I selected different items and listen to the sound. Amazing difference. When I selected "sports event" the background music was quite a bit less. We can hear and understand much better now. Try different settings on your TV and you may hear better.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Hearing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.