cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First Tow Trip Report

aguablanco
Explorer
Explorer
Finally got to tow the 6000# trailer ~1000 last week and I am ecstatic! I owned a 2012 Silverado 1500 5.3 2WD prior to the EcoDiesel and while it pulled okay the mileage was never above 10.1 mpg and most of the time in the low 9's. I also cringed every time I went up a grade as the engine needed over 3000 rpm to maintain ~40 mph on anything over a 3%-4% grade. Not wanting a 2500 for a daily driver my friend suggested that I investigate the EcoD and I have to say it was the best truck buying tip I have ever received.
Left Phoenix, AZ around 12:15 PM after the wife got off work last Monday. Had about 3/4 tank of fuel and decided to see if I could make it the 150 miles to Quartzsite and refuel there. Made with 1/4 tank to spare and filled up to continue to Indio, CA for an overnighter. Even after being stuck in a traffic jam for 2.5 hours between Blythe and a bit past Desert Center. I averaged 16.6 mpg. Fortunately the winds were light and the route fairly flat which I am sure helped a great deal.
Tuesday morning took off for Mojave, CA and had to climb Cajon Pass, 5%-6%, grade which tops out around 4600'. The EcoD never stuttered and climbed that hill at 55 mph and ~2250 rpm with absolutely no problem. Trans never got above 178* while oil and coolant stayed around 224*. Finally reached Mojave and was amazed to discover that I had averaged 15.4 mpg from Phoenix. BTW, I bought 9 gallons of diesel there with the intention of getting back to Quartzsite, and cheaper diesel, without buying more in California. Spent the week at Bequinox which is the Burning Man Los Angeles regional event.
Headed home Sunday morning and knew I would get good mileage coming down Cajon Pass and wasn't disappointed. Averaged 17.3 back to Indio. Made it to Quartzsite with less that a quarter tank so I didn't have to buy any more fuel in California. This truck just blows me away. It hauls the trailer like it isn't even there and never strains on the grades. The truck is also very stable when towing. I have the Curt 10,000# WDH with 1000# bars and I use the cheapo Harbor Freight friction anti-sway bars. We were never pushed around by trucks or wind on the trip. The driving was so much more relaxed and comfortable than my Silverado it was hard to believe. I should add that I did install the Air-Lift 1000# air bags on this truck for stability and run them at 34 psi.
My biggest take away is the mileage. Considering that diesel has been about 10% more than gas, and I am getting around 60% better mileage, with less stress, this has been the best vehicle purchase I have ever made. Can't wait for the burn in Colorado and the chance to see how the rig handles Raton Pass in June.
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
4 REPLIES 4

ib516
Explorer
Explorer
I love the idea of the EcoDiesel for small to medium sized loads. Decent power and excellent loaded mpg. I would be happy to own one ---- until I had to fix it. Then, I'd be wishing I had a gas V8. Not that they are bad, but the emissions junk all modern diesels are saddled with - yuck. But hey - that's just me, glad you are enjoying yours and sounds like it is a fuel sipper!
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
Great review. These new little diesels and turbo gas motors are really changing things. I keep comparing them to the specs on the 7.3powerstroke, my current truck, they just keep getting closer and closer. Let us know how ratone pass goes. I would also like to know how it handles a stiff headwind.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good report.... Diesel is ~$0.60/gal more than gasoline around here.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is always nice to hear from someone who is happy with their new truck and wish you continued success with the Ram. I reviewed your post from last October where you asked for opinions about this decision and was impressed with the difference between the majority of the advice and your actual experience. I think that a lot of people just don't realize how much more truck a new half ton is than they were just a few years ago.

I just wish that diesel fuel was only 10% more than gasoline here. I typically see 30-40%, sometimes even more. Of course, it could just be that your gas is high too. That would be a bummer.