cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Torklift Cannon

bigfootgrey
Explorer
Explorer
(Mod Edit: Link to original article to give the author - Mello Mike - credit)

Article

Looks like a problem solver for newer Fords.
Bob
2011 Ford F-350 PSD SC DRW
2008 Bigfoot 25C-10.4E
Firestone airbags - torklift stable-loads,fastguns,Talons Rancho rs 9000XL’s.
25 REPLIES 25

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have no doubt the oem 3" hitches are well designed and plenty strong enough when used as intended. When I was crawling around under new trucks investigating the ford oem hitches, I could tell they used high strength steel just from the sound they make when getting pinged with a screwdriver. Sounded like heat treated and/or high carbon content. Also, the 3" hitches were made of thicker steel than the 2-1/2" hitches. I measured the sideplate thickness and seems like one was .170" and the other was .210".....or something like that.

bradw
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
BradW wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
Torklift's ratings are based on using the Ford OEM receiver. It may be a limitation of the receiver with that much leverage........

That was my concern. Ford doesn't publish any ratings for those OEM receiver hitches when used with an extension. I have no doubt the Cannon extension tube will handle what its rated for and I have no doubt TL performed some testing before they put these on the market.

Having said that, I removed the OEM hitch from our 2018 F350 and installed the 30k lb TL hitch. The TL hitch is massive as compared to the OEM hitch and weighs much more.

I'll be towing slightly more than 6,500 lbs on a 4' extension, so I would exceed the new Cannon rating anyway. I will be a lot more comfortable with the TL hitch and dual extension.

bradw

I can tell you who makes 90% the receiver hitches for Ford and has for a while. Midway products, P&A Division in Findlay, Ohio I delivered countless loads of High Strength AKDQ 10X material there over the years. Company I drove for was their number 1 supplier of flat rolled high strength steel.

The balance is made by Draw-Tite in Indiana and we supplied them with high strength as well.

I think Midway did all the roll forming for everyone. They had 3 Yoder mills in Findlay.

Might be different now, been retired for 10 years.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
ticki2 wrote:
A 1/4" x2" steel bar could hold that hanging. 7000 lb truck . It would make a very weak trailer hitch .

Well, most of the hitches are squares made of 1/4 x 2 walls.
You can make the stories all you want, but from what I have seen how my 3" receiver and stinger works, I think if you could hire Hulk for the test, he could lift Superduty horizontally holding it by the stinger.
I wouldn't dare make the stories , you already have that market cornered .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Show me 1 mounted on 3" stinger?

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:
OK, I let them go now, but if they copy my rear-mounted crane, I see them in court. :C

That’s nice of you. You do know that there already a number of hitch mounted cranes and have been for years. You already have plenty of people to see in court. 😄

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
Shall I sue for copyrights?

Sure, and watch the attorney laugh at you.

OK, I let them go now, but if they copy my rear-mounted crane, I see them in court. :C

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Kayteg1 wrote:
Shall I sue for copyrights?

Sure, and watch the attorney laugh at you.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
How long is your stinger and how much do you tow?
Wake Up America

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
ticki2 wrote:
A 1/4" x2" steel bar could hold that hanging. 7000 lb truck . It would make a very weak trailer hitch .

Well, most of the hitches are squares made of 1/4 x 2 walls.
You can make the stories all you want, but from what I have seen how my 3" receiver and stinger works, I think if you could hire Hulk for the test, he could lift Superduty horizontally holding it by the stinger.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
You mean that is not strong enough?

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
You mean that is not strong enough?

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeh, but you had static load. Real world towing is all about dynamic loads and metal fatigue over time and many cycles.

bradw
Wake Up America

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
For whatever it is worth- my F350 squats about 2" under 5000 lb camper weight.
Using it as a crane on picture above, the weight on the arm was squatting the truck all the way to axle bumpers and I had to put 4x4 under to gain lifting height.
Meaning a little bit more and I would lift front axle off the ground by applying weight on the stinger.
Never have seen any signs of stress on Ford hitch and I know metals.

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bedlam wrote:
Torklift's ratings are based on using the Ford OEM receiver. It may be a limitation of the receiver with that much leverage........

That was my concern. Ford doesn't publish any ratings for those OEM receiver hitches when used with an extension. I have no doubt the Cannon extension tube will handle what its rated for and I have no doubt TL performed some testing before they put these on the market.

Having said that, I removed the OEM hitch from our 2018 F350 and installed the 30k lb TL hitch. The TL hitch is massive as compared to the OEM hitch and weighs much more.

I'll be towing slightly more than 6,500 lbs on a 4' extension, so I would exceed the new Cannon rating anyway. I will be a lot more comfortable with the TL hitch and dual extension.

bradw
Wake Up America