Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Slide out permanently out
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Slide out permanently out

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Guy Roan

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/19 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MNGeeks61 wrote:

We had a 40 foot destination trailer on a lot in a seasonal site. We chose to build a roof over it high enough that we also got about 12 by 24 of covered deck space. It was not cheap, we spent about $7500 on it which only included framing in the 4 x 4's. He added posts so we had the ability to frame out screens every 33 inches.

About 4 years later, my wife decided she wanted a park model instead of the much less insulated destination trailer so we weren't nearly as cold in the fall (or using a 30 lb tank of propane in a weekend) We were able to sell the trailer itself for above book as it had been protected quite well from the elements for 4 years, BUT we could not recoup any of the money spent on the deck/cover.

So be sure you're building that cover with the possibility you may have to replace your travel trailer down the road...many years later.

I am not and will not build a roof over the whole trailer. All I am going to do is put a small permanent roof over the slide and not a roll up awning.

Guy

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/19 08:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only two thoughts I have. If you build a roof over the slide only, make sure you design in runoff from the main unit so it doesn't land on the slide.Also do you have concrete block piers near the tires so the trailer doesn't sag in the middle as the tires lose air over time?

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Slide out permanently out
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.