Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Need some assistance
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Need some assistance

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/19 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LeBout wrote:

it registered just over 10 volts AFTER running the pickup for a bit. Not full by any means, but not down all the way.
That's essentially dead.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/19 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

Test the output of the converter at the battery. I suspect the converter may be failing. Don't bother with a load test, the existing battery is toast.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

CincyGus

Cincinnati

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/19 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

LeBout wrote:

it registered just over 10 volts AFTER running the pickup for a bit. Not full by any means, but not down all the way.
That's essentially dead.

Exactly.

Deep Cycle's don't like to be drawn below 50%. Doing so damages and shortens them, reducing the number of recharge/discharge they cycles they have left in their useful life.

Deep Cycle Overview

12v reading is near the 50% mark. 10v is below the 100% discharge rate. The longer a battery stays discharged, the more damage is done to it so get it fully charged asap and then get it load tested. Chances are you will notice a significant decrease in performance (doesn't last as long before falling below 12v now as it did before) if it takes a charge at all.

Sounds like time for a new battery most likely. Good advice on getting a couple and solar if you are going to be doing boondocking. Would also suggest a battery monitor that gives you a voltage reading and not relying on the typical 4 light tank/battery monitor that most RV's come with.

Here is one that many use that are concerned with keeping their batteries in great condition, monitoring closely because they boondock a lot.

Battery Monitor

2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

johntinacamping

Home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/19 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As others have said above, I also suspect your converter is failing. I've been there and done that. I hope that's not your issue, though.

LeBout

Ontario, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/19 04:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

UPDATE: Doesn't seem to be the converter. I took the advice of several on this forum and didn't even ask to test the old battery. I just went ahead and purchased two new 6 volt batteries (Trojan brand) and plastic housing for each. installed the batteries and everything seems to be working good. We've run the heater several times and it's no longer cycling the fan speed from low to high. Thank you for all the help and advice. It's greatly appreciated!

P.S. All this took place in Idaho Falls, Idaho. We are now in Bozeman, Montana on our way to Minnesota. [emoticon]

* This post was edited 03/29/19 05:55pm by LeBout *

2008 Fleetwood Wilderness 240RKS
2013 Ford F-150 3.5L Eccoboost Supercrew 4x4, Max tow package
Barker VIP 3500 Power Jack
2 Honda 2000 watt Generators
Eastern Oregon, USA

Our Floorplan
Days camped so far in 2019: 17

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/19 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LeBout wrote:

We are now in Bozeman, Montana
brrr

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/19 05:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LeBout wrote:

UPDATE: Doesn't seem to be the converter. I took the advice of several on this forum and didn't even ask to test the old battery. I just went ahead and purchased two new 6 volt batteries (Trojan brand) and plastic housing for each. installed the batteries and everything seems to be working good. We've run the heater several times and it's no longer cycling the fan speed from low to high. Thank you for all the help and advice. It's greatly appreciated!

P.S. All this too place in Idaho Falls, Idaho. We are now in Bozeman, Montana on our way to Minnesota. [emoticon]

I would check the new batteries and converter? If you buy two new batteries they will be charged up and everything will work fine. If the converter is bad your batteries will be low again after a few days. An easy test is to check the battery voltage with the generator off. Then start the generator and check the voltage again. You should see the battery voltage go up to the mid 13v to mid 14v range. If the voltage doesn't change your converter is bad or you have a blown fuse.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

LeBout

Ontario, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/19 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

I would check the new batteries and converter? If you buy two new batteries they will be charged up and everything will work fine. If the converter is bad your batteries will be low again after a few days. An easy test is to check the battery voltage with the generator off. Then start the generator and check the voltage again. You should see the battery voltage go up to the mid 13v to mid 14v range. If the voltage doesn't change your converter is bad or you have a blown fuse.

I did this test and wasn't happy with the results. My reading with generator off and back on were both low. We have two more days travel to get to our destination. I would hate to ruin 2 brand new batteries. What's my next move?

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/19 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When our converter failed in our Class C Motorhome, we were about 4 weeks into a 6 week trip. We had a bunch of other small issues and I didn't feel like dealing with the converter. It was in a hard to get to place and I just wanted to enjoy the rest of the trip. I bought a car battery charger and used that to keep the battery charged. Once the battery was charged, I left the charger set to 2 amps and that kept the battery charged the rest of the trip. We were on Shore Power the whole time.

We camp seasonally now, but I still bring the battery charger with us just in case. Get a portable car battery charger and run it off your generator until you get a chance to replace your converter/charger.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

LeBout

Ontario, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/19 07:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mgirardo wrote:

Get a portable car battery charger and run it off your generator until you get a chance to replace your converter/charger.

Thanks Michael. Most likely while you were typing you're message I was in buying a portable battery charger. Have it connected to the batteries right now.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Need some assistance
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.