Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tent Camping: Some Great tent Camping!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Some Great tent Camping!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
deadticket8

All over

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/19 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I jettisoned my pickup and travel trailer a few years back. I either tent camp or in my 8' cargo trailer. So my needs are less and needless to say I don't wish to pay $50- $75 a night. I am hoping we can share a few nice spots for us who need few amenities or perhaps none other than a place to rest.
My first contribution shall be Rogers Rock Campground in Hague, NY on Lake George. This campground is on the north end of the lake and has a lot of shoreline although few campsites are on the water and these are generally booked months in advance in July and Aug. The sites are all dirt,well shaded, have a firepit and picnic table. There are limited hours for generators and people are generally considerate. There are boat moorings campers can rent, a boat launch and lots of room to stash car toppers(kayaks, canoes) near the water. The lake is surrounded by mountains. Hiking opportunities are endless in the area.It is a state campground listed under the DEC. Non residents are charged an extra $5/ night but still a bargain under $30 on a gorgeous lake.

* This post was edited 03/29/19 12:54pm by deadticket8 *

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/19 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am continually amazed by USFS campsites with a senior card. Everything is half price, so camping in the woods with no hookups is usually $9-11. I went to Yosemite NP after the tourists had left and we got in free. Spending $50 for a night in an RV park has little appeal surrounded by large RVs with graphics on them. Some parks are $75. It is not appealing.

I still tent camp when taking the boat out, river trips and backpacking. The best places are not reachable with an RV.

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/19 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been there, nice place. Have friends that live on Lake George.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

deadticket8

All over

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/19 08:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The National Park and National Forests in many places are being managed by consessioneers. Some recognize the senior pass but this does not always mean 1/2 price. I got a 10% discount in the everglades this year, very dissapointing.And someone had occupied my site when I was gone for the day, in fact 2 other parties showed up at the office with the same complaint. Then I went to Ocala NF. Instead of free admission to the springs I had to pay. The campgrounds offered a generous discount and the two I stayed at I feel were well managed. But these prices are left up to the private managers. I feel that the senior card has lost value and will lose ground in the coming years.

deadticket8

All over

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/19 05:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An alternate to campgrounds is a site called hipcamp. All kinds of accommodations, mostly on private property. They may have 2 sites or 20. They may or may not have showers, it may be on a working farm. Thier sites may be wooded or in a field. They may have live bands on the weekend. Everything under the sun, worth checking out!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Some Great tent Camping!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.