Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Checking voltage on connected 6 volt batteries
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Checking voltage on connected 6 volt batteries

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
LeBout

Ontario, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/19 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When checking the voltage on linked 6 volt deep cycle batteries is it important where the leads from the voltage tester are contacting the batteries? In other words, can the testing be done on one battery alone when they are linked?

2020 Heartland Wilderness 2500RL
2013 Ford F-150 3.5L Eccoboost Supercrew 4x4, Max tow package
2 Honda 2000 watt Generators
Eastern Oregon, USA

Our Trailer
Our Floorplan
Days camped so far in 2020: 0

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/19 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I read your other thread to get some context of your issue. Yes, you can test the voltage on the batteries individually, but obviously you will only get a reading of the individual battery (about 6.6 volts), not the two combined.

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/19 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, you can test voltage on a single battery when they are hooked in series. Just remember that voltage can vary significantly depending upon whether or not there is any load. If you are testing house batteries, a good idea is to be running the microwave or another high amperage appliance when testing. Also remember to have the rig unplugged and the generator not running since that would activate the battery charging functions of the converter.

Ed_Gee

Central Oregon coast

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/19 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LeBout wrote:

When checking the voltage on linked 6 volt deep cycle batteries is it important where the leads from the voltage tester are contacting the batteries? In other words, can the testing be done on one battery alone when they are linked?

If you are only intending to check the status of the one battery, then yes, you can test that battery by placing your leads on the posts of that battery. However, if your intent is to check the status of your entire battery bank you need to measure across both linked batteries.....negative lead on the post going to chassis ground and positive lead on the OTHER batterie's hot lead.

Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/19 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To get the paralleled voltage of the two 6s, you need to do the pos of one battery, and the neg of the other.

Jerry

LeBout

Ontario, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/19 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

To get the paralleled voltage of the two 6s, you need to do the pos of one battery, and the neg of the other.

Jerry

It's weird. Whether I test one battery on the positive and negative terminal or whether I test the positive terminal of one battery and the negative terminal of the other battery I get the same reading. About 6.5 volts

enriquecruz8519

Kalispell

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/19 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always test each batteries separately for the 1st time because if you have different charge levels on each battery it uncertain condition for the road. However after few charge cycles it doesn't require much attention.

Montana LLC - Montana Vehicle Registration

Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/19 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LeBout wrote:

MFL wrote:

Jerry

It's weird. Whether I test one battery on the positive and negative terminal or whether I test the positive terminal of one battery and the negative terminal of the other battery I get the same reading. About 6.5 volts

It sounds like the two batteries are connected in parallel (positive to positive, negative to negative) instead of in series (positive to negative).

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/19 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boon Docker wrote:

LeBout wrote:

MFL wrote:

Jerry

It sounds like the two batteries are connected in parallel (positive to positive, negative to negative) instead of in series (positive to negative).

Or the measurement is actually being taken between pos and pos or neg and neg.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/19 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, while I said parallel, the two 6Vs would need to be in series to achieve the proper operating voltage. IIRC, I think it was mentioned in other thread, "now everything is working properly". If that was the case, then maybe improper measurement is the problem.

Jerry

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Checking voltage on connected 6 volt batteries
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.