Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: loosing old members
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> loosing old members

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 20  
Next
54suds

adk mts.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/19 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

loosing old members here ???? seem a lot are gone / going any particular reason personally I post way less because of less knowledge on newer campers AND because of sites horrible photo posting process ! whats your opinion /reasons for less participation ???

2017 Chev ltz double cab,drw,4x/torklift tdn's,30k super hitch 36" extention
1999 Bigfoot 1011

cewillis

Tucson, az, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/19 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

54suds wrote:

because of sites horrible photo posting process !

There you go. Only one more TR for me.

Cal

eubank

bosque farms, nm

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/19 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Different kinds of social media, I'd say. Forums are kind of old style. (Which is sad because I prefer forums to more modern versions of social media.)
[emoticon]
Lynn

Pics and stuff at my Flickr pages

Old Days

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/19 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am old and life does change, but having a guy like Old Biscuit with all the RV tech knowledge on this site is priceless.

work2much

Jackson Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/19 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forums like these are sort of becoming dinosaurs to more interactive social media venues. Also old members may move on to new chapters in their lives that don't include truck campers or spending time on the internet.

For folks that want to post pics use this hosting site. Pretty straight forward to use.
photo posting

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.
2018 Host Mammoth. 1080 Watts solar. 600 AH usable LFP battery. Magnum 2800 Watt inverter.
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited toad.

Photomike

Southern Alberta or where the camper is parked!

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/19 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For me I prefer forums as they are a lot more searchable then say a Facebook group. Also as long as you own (rent) the server you can organize how it is set-up and how long info stays on it.

The reason I am not on this forum (TCers) more is that I sold my unit. Still am here to get tips for my new unit (Class B) but I read more than posting.

The reason I am not on other parts of RV.net more is that many of the moderators are jerks. Some of the rules that they enforce are to the letter crazy!!!! I did a big trip report on another area of RV.net and got told I had to change it or the moderator would take it down as there were parts that mentioned my business. Sorry but I am a photographer and I do that when traveling I did not try selling anything or advertising it was just mentioned that I have a photography business and I was shooting on the trip. I never had that issue on the TCer part of RV net.

I know a number of others that ran into similar issues and left as well. There is moderating then there are power hungry dictators. It is not worth my time when I am accepted on other forums I would rather be there.

2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

bka0721

Republic of Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/19 01:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Howdy. I might be a new poster to many, or an old long-time poster. We are only relevant to the person reading the latest post. While I hope that some would appreciate what I post and what I bring to this forum. Sadly, in recent months that has not been the case. Also, there are many here just as capable of posting tips and guidance and have the time to comment. I just don't have the time or interest in the forum, for many of the reasons already shared.

I also miss many of the posters from the past. You can see this by the date they have joined. There is currently a post, for Jefe4X4, that I will contribute to, too. But the big thing I noticed about this post were the ones contributing to saying goodbye to Jefe, have starting dates prior to 2012.

Maybe we have become dinosaurs. So be it. I'm still on the road, boondocking going on 11 years. I still have a lot to share and the experience to back it up. That is where you will find me, most times or working on one of my favorite National Parks.

b

08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/19 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you complain about this forum being slow, try hot-tub forum.
I am restoring old tub that come with the house and when repairing old control board gained to answers, I ask for recommendation on spending money for whole new control box. Still no answers.
Comparing to quick answers on this forum (even when some of them are trolling) - the lack of answers gets very annoying.
Happy camping.

Eric&Lisa

Scappoose, OR

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/19 02:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Photomike wrote:

For me I prefer forums as they are a lot more searchable then say a Facebook group. ...

Facebook isn't really set up for the type of knowledge sharing we do on this forum. One of the well-known problems with FB is *they* decide what they think you want to see. Let's say I have a following on FB and I decide I want to share something with all my followers. FB will allow some of them to see it, but will hide it from others. That type of censorship isn't really conducive to how we interact on this forum.

(Yes, it is censorship. Yes, FB can totally do that if they want - it is their platform. FB users (specifically *access* to FB users) is their product. If the product is free, then *you* are the product. By censoring the content they provide, they are better able to connect their users with products and services they may be interested in.)

I do not want myself marketed to others as a product, so I do not participate in Facebook. I admit I am not like the majority of Internet users in that I value my privacy. I would be naive to think that there isn't data about me on the Internet. However by avoiding platforms like Facebook, I at least don't make myself the easy target.

To the OP's original question, I guess I have been lurking around here for 13 years. I don't see myself going away for a different platform. If this platform goes away, I doubt I will go actively seeking something to replace it.

As for the OP's comment on photo hosting...

Consider hosting it yourself. That way YOU maintain control over YOUR content. I did a road trip last summer and I chronicled the journey on a classic car forum. Lots of pictures, every one of them hosted on an Amazon S3 bucket. Definitely a little more technical to set up compared to a photo hosting site, but it is pretty cheap. I think I was charged $.18 last month. Plus I am in control of my pictures. Sure, someone could download and copy them, but I have not formally surrendered my rights to the pictures.

Here is a copy of text from RV.Net's terms of service: By uploading User Content to any Public Forum or submitting any materials to us, you automatically grant (or warrant that the owner of such rights has expressly granted) CWGS and its Service Providers a perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, irrevocable, nonexclusive right and license to use, reproduce, modify, display, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and distribute such materials or incorporate such materials into any form, medium, or technology now known or later developed throughout the universe.

If RV.Net only has the link to my picture, and not the picture itself, then I have not given them any rights to the picture. Once again, if the product is free, then you are the product!

Just some food for thought...
-Eric

Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/19 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're losing old members for different reasons. I think many just feel it's time to move on and may not have a particular reason.

I think the lack of consistent enforcement of the forum rules drove many away.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 20  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> loosing old members
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.