Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: loosing old members
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> loosing old members

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next
NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/19 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geewizard wrote:

I joined before I bought a TC so I could learn.............

Har! I joined after I had been TC’ing almost 10 years, and discovered I was doing it all wrong!

10 ft camper on an F250- check
Underrated tires on underrated “eye-candy” wheels- check
Camper tied down with stake-pocket tie downs- check
Towing a 16 ft flatbed with a 3200 lb car on it with a home made 48” extension- check
Open frame generator- check
No thoughts given to how many orphans and nuns were going to be killed if I had an accident- check

A lot of things have changed since then. [emoticon]

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/19 07:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not all of that was wrong!

2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

mountainkowboy

Socal > NE Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/01/19 09:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Acampingwewillgo wrote:

Kayteg1 wrote:

Maybe that is only my impression, but trolling in this section went way down with last "change of power".
For me the hardcore trolling is having nothing to say on the subject and come with post "I don't like trolling here"
I was a member on this forum like 15 years ago and only handful of members from those times are still here.
Most of them made moderators....

It's Chris, isn't it? I certainly remember you at our Rallies from the Forum. I recall you towing your Boat and using that as your RV when we were at that Lake near Pomona (my memory for those things is shot but I do remember you). I've been around here for a few years myself!! Sorry, but I'm going back to the rude folks over in the Class A Forum!! J/K'ing LOL

Good memory, although driving that old flatbed is something I am trying to forget. [emoticon]
Coming to "rude" I recall those times as starting times for Internet forums and times when members learn how to control their egos, while moderators were learning how to control too much trolling.
Times change and everything change. Just last month we watched "Ponderosa" reruns. The very mellow series would not pass today's TV censorship on several levels.

I remember the boat! You were ac-crossed the circle from us...

[image]

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
1990 F350 S/C Lariat Dually (Red)
1990 S&S 11SC Cabover
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Clarryhill

Midcoast Maine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/19 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

burningman wrote:

I was thinkin most of it was right on the money...[emoticon][emoticon]

2014 Ford F450 PSD
2017 Lance 1172

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/19 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Clarryhill wrote:

burningman wrote:

I was thinkin most of it was right on the money...[emoticon][emoticon]

Actually, most of it was just fine. It’s just that when I first joined, I was being told all that stuff was wrong, wrong, wrong. I think one member even said I was a menace. I took it as a compliment. [emoticon]

I do pay closer attention to the weight ratings on tires and wheels now, and I’ve replaced that noisya$$ generator with a Yamaha 1000.

The “nuns and orphans” comment was a shout-out to a sadly passed on member, jponder if you remember him. Gads, that guy was funny!

Here’s a link to one of his posts. I always think of this when I’m mounting my storage box on the front of the truck. I think a couple of cabbage patch dolls would look pretty good on the front of it. [emoticon] [emoticon]

Jponder RIP

[image]

[emoticon][emoticon]

* This post was edited 04/02/19 08:32am by NRALIFR *

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/19 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Actually, most of it was just fine. It’s just that when I first joined, I was being told all that stuff was wrong, wrong, wrong. I think one memeber even said I was a menace. I took it as a compliment.

The problem is most of the members here are relatively new to RVing..Very few were around when stake pocket tie downs were kool and a 10ft camper on a 3/4 just worked and we modded as necessary not what the neighbor or anyone thought...We tried it first..

And I used to load a TC with suicide jacks(Cable)..Still have a pair.(laughing).

'94 Ford DRW/460
Lance 9.6
Yamaha Rhino in tow
Elk hunt'n Idaho

rider997

California

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/19 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eric&Lisa wrote:

As for the OP's comment on photo hosting...

Consider hosting it yourself. That way YOU maintain control over YOUR content. I did a road trip last summer and I chronicled the journey on a classic car forum. Lots of pictures, every one of them hosted on an Amazon S3 bucket. Definitely a little more technical to set up compared to a photo hosting site, but it is pretty cheap. I think I was charged $.18 last month. Plus I am in control of my pictures. Sure, someone could download and copy them, but I have not formally surrendered my rights to the pictures.

Here is a copy of text from RV.Net's terms of service: By uploading User Content to any Public Forum or submitting any materials to us, you automatically grant (or warrant that the owner of such rights has expressly granted) CWGS and its Service Providers a perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, irrevocable, nonexclusive right and license to use, reproduce, modify, display, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from and distribute such materials or incorporate such materials into any form, medium, or technology now known or later developed throughout the universe.

If RV.Net only has the link to my picture, and not the picture itself, then I have not given them any rights to the picture. Once again, if the product is free, then you are the product!

Just some food for thought...
-Eric

I really dislike the self-hosting option. It isn't conducive to long-term thread integrity. Thousands of forum posts became nearly useless when Photobucket stopped allowing external links to photos. Most people don't have the time or energy to maintain a self-hosted site for years. A forum needs to provide sufficient services to compete, and one expectation these days is that the forum itself will host photos of a reasonable size.

I'm saying this as an individual that has hosted websites, mailing lists, forums, etc., and self-hosted my own content on my own servers for over 30 years...

whizbang

Kenmore, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/19 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interests change, life styles change. Social media preferences change.

In our case, we sold our truck camper and got a Class C.

This is the first I heard that Forums are old school. I must be so old I didn't notice. I deleted FB after the Cambridge Analytica Fiasco.

Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/19 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:

[image]

[emoticon][emoticon]

In Europe higher end cars have hoods on pyrotechnic hinges that softens them when pedestrian is hit.
It is only matter of time when your box will have the same requirement [emoticon]

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/19 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You think my box should explode on impact? [emoticon]

I won’t hold my breath waiting for us to be just like Europe.

Of course, you know the old saying: “So goes Europe, so goes the universe and beyond!” [emoticon]

I think that’s an old saying, or maybe I just made it up.

[emoticon][emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> loosing old members
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS