Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Can I tow this?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Can I tow this?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/01/19 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BradGalloway wrote:

I have a 2017 1500 silverado. The max tow rating is 9,300lbs and GCWR is 15,000. I just put a deposit down on a 2019 Forest River Vibe 288RLS. They dealer said I could pull it no problem. Its dry weight is 7157lbs and tongue weight is 753lbs. Ive tried to calculate this myself following everyones instructions. I come up good on some, bad on others. Think I could pull this safely? Mostly 2 adults and a dog with not a whole lot of gear other than food / clothes. We also are at sea level and stay close to home when we camp. It's only 2k more weight than my last TT that I pulled with no troubles. Thanks for any help!

34'3", 9660 GVWR, 11.2 tall, me thinks this is to much trailer for the truck you currently have.

"The dealer said I could pull it no problem." His lips were moving!

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

Dadoffourgirls

China, MI USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/19 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have towed my trailer with a 1500 Silverado of the same vintage.
I have towed my trailer with a Dmax 3500 SRW and 2500HD, a 3500 Express, and others. It will work to tow the trailer, and probably within specs.

It will not tow it as effortlessly as the others.

Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

BradGalloway

SouthEast

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/19 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

Quote:

Don't see myself ever going across county with a trailer. I'll upgrade to an RV before I do that!

[emoticon] [emoticon]
The TT your asking about is a RV so what does a upgrade to a RV mean ???

Meant a class A!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/19 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

Quote:

Don't see myself ever going across county with a trailer. I'll upgrade to an RV before I do that!

[emoticon] [emoticon]

Thanks for pointing out that precious arevee.net faux pas....

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/19 11:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For your use, you absolutely don't need any more truck than what you have.
Sea level, flat as a board (southeast near the coast) and local trips, I'd pull that with a 1997 Silverado 1500.
You're talking 8-9000lb trailer. Let 'er rip.
My work truck currently is a '16 Silvy 1500 5.3 and it doesn't have the max tow stuff and I drag trailers that heavy through the mountains regularly. (low alt mountains here, she'd be sucking wind more in the Rockies) Truck don't care. 60k miles and still on original brakes and I drive it like a rental!

BradGalloway

SouthEast

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/19 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks again guys. They working up the paperwork on the Vibe 268RKS. I'm feeling much better about the decision to change to that. Pretty sure its a trip to Myrtle Beach Travel Park for us. That's pretty much what it has been 95% of the time over the last 5 years. 60 miles flat. We always do mountain trips in a town or Hamlet so we can walk everywhere, so no camping there.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/19 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BradGalloway wrote:

JIMNLIN wrote:

Quote:

[emoticon] [emoticon]

Meant a class A!

Just wondering as I see some say their looking at buying a RV....when their looking for a truck camper.
I mentioned in my 1st post I pull a 10k car hauler with 9k+ lbs on the trailers axles.... with the wifes '16 1500 chevy 5.3 crew cab 4wd.
I had to go with a set of Sumo springs for the rear suspension. The Sumo's are easy change if you don't want them on 24/7.
I jack the rear up a bit with a Hi Lift jack under the hitch receiver. Remove the 13mm hex cap screw from the OEM bump stops. Simply screw the Sumo on by hand like a oil filter, to threaded stud on a plate supplied from the Sumo kit. Takes all of 3 min to add or remove both.
And of course a WD hitch with sway control of your choice.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/01/19 05:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BradGalloway wrote:

Thanks again guys. They working up the paperwork on the Vibe 268RKS. I'm feeling much better about the decision to change to that. Pretty sure its a trip to Myrtle Beach Travel Park for us. That's pretty much what it has been 95% of the time over the last 5 years. 60 miles flat. We always do mountain trips in a town or Hamlet so we can walk everywhere, so no camping there.

33'3" 9600 lbs and 11'2", so it is a foot shorter and 60 lbs lighter, should tow a lot easier??? Chris

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Can I tow this?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.