cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reconfiguring the console for ergnomic ease

Monkeyman_and_L
Explorer
Explorer
The stock layout for the console on my 2018 Newmar Baystar 3414 was not meant to be used by anyone who wishes to remain comfortable. A mighty shame given the overall quality of the coach. So, I did what I'm good at doing...I fixed it!

The stock layout - Rearview camera at the top, GPS Radio below that and Climate controls dead bottom.

stock layout

The new layout. Rearview camera closer to the driver and GPS Radio and Climate controls much easier to see and reach.

modified layout

How's that?
Monkeyman, Lady and little chimp
2018 Newmar Baystar 3414
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid TOAD
17 REPLIES 17

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
garyemunson wrote:
Good job. My rear cam would be directed to the radio screen when backing/turning, and, like yours, was in the middle console and location and glare made it useless. I bought a 7" LCD monitor screen off eBay and ran the cam feed to it and mounted it left of the steering wheel at dash level. Now it is active all the time and easy to see. Much better.

Thanks. The dash is my only complaint about my MH. And they gave me nothing to work with. I've seen other dashboards and they at least look similar to a car dash. My layout just seems like an afterthought.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Good job. My rear cam would be directed to the radio screen when backing/turning, and, like yours, was in the middle console and location and glare made it useless. I bought a 7" LCD monitor screen off eBay and ran the cam feed to it and mounted it left of the steering wheel at dash level. Now it is active all the time and easy to see. Much better.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Just came across your post while looking for mine. Here is what I’m in the process of doing. The OE dash layout is terrible at best!

Ok. So I have been working on this off and on. Finally got the console cut and assembled last weekend. I was able to fit it up to the MH on Saturday, fit like a glove, i was impressed that my template was that accurate! LOL I had the face cut out to fit today with backers for support, stability and a place to mount the oak front panel to. Tonite I was able to lay out where I think I want everything.
The open spot on the left below the monitor I’m leaving open. I’m hoping to get a TPMS system and I will probably mount the monitor there, as well as a USB port for the radio. The little round circle at the middle right will be the existing power outlet. Then from there the generator hour meter, and all my switches, I’m adding 2 more for future use. The large circle at the left side will be my new USB charging outlet with built in voltage display. The open area at the bottom will not be used. I am going to make a console with built in cup holders and hopefully if I have the room a small drawer under that. That will be after I get the console installed back in the motor home.
Here are some pics.

The first pic shows the very poor layout of the stock console, and the OP thought his was not user friendly!

In the 2nd pic you can see how much higher and closer the monitor and radio will be.

I don’t have all the supports installed for the front panel/face yet. The face will be installed with small machine screws with T-nuts in the wood supports. This way I don’t have to worry about stripping out the wood where the screws would go in. The console is a little tall but it doesn’t block my view out of the windshield. It’s no higher than the speedo cluster. From the outside it stands out. But I have a plan for the front of it that you can see from the outside. I’m wrapping the console in matching vinyl if I can find the color. If not I’m going with a dark brown which will be a nice contrast and match the interior. The oak face I’m going to stain to try and match the plastic wood look of the original console.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

et2
Explorer
Explorer
X2 for the factory.

Bruce_Brown
MrWizard wrote:
I think he downloaded the image
Then upload to to our forums host on imjur

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

MrWizard
I think he downloaded the image
Then upload to to our forums host on imjur
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Monkeyman_and_L
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks.

How did you do that? I can't get it to embed the pictures
2018 Newmar Baystar 3414

Bruce_Brown
I like it.

Factory;

Fixed;

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Monkeyman_and_L
Explorer
Explorer
Just sent the email. I'll let you know if they reply with anything interesting.
2018 Newmar Baystar 3414

Monkeyman_and_L
Explorer
Explorer
What's strange it's the rest of the rig is designed so well for ergonomics. Then they get to the drivers seat and go...meh. just sandwich everything in the middle.

I intend to send the mod I did to my Newmar rep.
2018 Newmar Baystar 3414

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
Nice mod. I'm in the same camp. Dash layout is a really big deal especially since I spend 8 hours a day behind it when we travel a long distance.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
The dash designers on RV's must be morons. My radio was so low you would have to stop and kneel down to change anything. Moved the rear view monitor to hang below cabinet above driver, moved the radio to that top position.

MrWizard
google drive links
no hot linking to embed photo

click link to see photo
link goes to g-drive webpage, not link of JPG image

before

after
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look at Scosche MagicMount on Amazon. A lot to choose from. I got the CD one which slides into a cd player slot and works great.