Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Motor homes over the years
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Motor homes over the years

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
GHOST1750

THE GOLDEN STATE My taxes help keep it that way!!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/19 06:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

irishtom29 wrote:

Apologists for the state of current RV quality often make the assertion that RVs being driven down the road are being operated in “earthquake conditions”. I’m skeptical of this assertion and would like to see a citation for it.

How often does the refrigerator in your stick house, or the AC unit, or your stove, and other furniture get bounced around like the items do in your RV? Perhaps you just park your RV and don't drive it but I drive mine on the Nation's highways at least 15,000 miles a year and the roads are far from smooth.
I may be exaggerating about an earthquake. Actually I think bouncing down the highways day after day in the RV is WORSE than a short term earthquake. [emoticon]

I agree, especially on California freeways. I feel sorry for the motor home. The washer even jarred unplugged.

Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !

C20

Shawnee KS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/19 06:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Based on the only motorhome we've ever owned, I think the only thing thats costs more to maintain is an airplane!

08 Itasca 40 FD
02 Jeep Liberty
16 HD CVO Street glide
2015 Challenger Hellcat
2016 Ram Eco Diesel

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/19 07:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tyler0215 wrote:

My Dad always complained about modern cars not being as good as back in "the good ole days."
When you had drum brakes all around, that were hard to keep adjusted. When the brakes were adjusted you still wondered if you were going to stop when it rained.

When you had points and condensers that needed replaced every 15k miles.

No PS, PB or AC.
Ahh yes the good old days.

Cars and RV's are much more compllcated now but overall I would not want to back.

I agree on vehicles. On RV's especially motor homes, I can see (observe) the lack of quality and assembly unless you are ready to spend the huge bucks. Have a good friend with a custom Prevost. It's put together but at 1.5, it better be.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/19 05:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As someone who has been involved in the RV industry for almost 50 years(OEM and a Dealer Tech), the problems are not that great. The Internet just allows for people that have major problems to post. People that are happy have better things to do with their life than waste time posting on the Internet. The Majority of RV'ers experience NO problems that inhibit the use of the motorhome. I can remember the Trailers and Motorhomes were just a box on a chassis and had a AC/Furnace/water heater/Refer. NO TV's/Microwaves VCR's and such. The Chassis are supplied by VERY LARGE Makers of chassis's. Engines and Transmissions the same. Appliances in the RV's are supplied by LARGE suppliers. You cannot blame the OEM's for appliances and chassis issues when they fail. Just like you don't blame the Residential home builder when the appliances and such fail. Remember, a lot of postings on forums are for older RV's and they break or people need help. MY happiest customers are the people that use their RV more than 6 months a year. They are IN the RV and get the various problems worked out in a few months and then go enjoy it. The dissatisfied RV'ers I have never use the new RV and never get the shakedown items addressed and each time they infrequently take it out those problems ruin their experience. Doug

Smitty77

OnDRoad

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/19 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doug - Would value your confirmation on the added problems of RV ownerships due to the rapid number of smog related regulations rolled out? From about say 2005 and on smog regulations, and thus the need of the engine manufactures to design and certify (Many times on very short cycles.) new equipment to meet the new regulations.) (And note: This is not intended as a anti smog post, it's about the frequency of the changes and how they were rolled out...).

Many systems and components in RV's, but I've watched forums traffic in the engine related areas problems grow due to the teething pains of new smog levels equipments maturing cycle.

TIA for your perception,
Smitty

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/19 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

while these regulations affect RVs

these regs are due to the increased amount of local commercial truck traffic
using these engines

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

vjstangelo

virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/19 06:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have owned 2 TT’s (2000 Jayco Kiwi, 2003 KZ Sportsman) and now our 2012 Winnebago Vista Class A. All have required constant maintenance and fixing throughout the year. For example, we bought the A used in 2016, and both rooftop AC units have since failed and needed replacing, which we hear is common for this Coleman model HP. The F53 chassis has also had its share of problems requiring repair be either me or my RV shop.

New or old, my experience is these toys need constant repair so be prepared if you want to move up from a tent to wheeled camping.

2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/19 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our first RV was a 2004 Itasca Sunrise. One warranty fix, three Workhorse recalls, and zero major issues. Loved that RV.

We tried a Rockwood trailer, but after a couple years, found we were still using the Sunrise more than the trailer. Several major issues with the slides finally convinced us we weren't trailer people.

We finally gave in and traded both for a 2018 Winnebago Forza. Four pages of warranty fixes, all coach. Zero issues with Freightliner or Cummins. Overall, though, and considering that her shakedown trip was to Alaska and back, she's done really well.

But I still miss the Itasca...

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny and Rudy, cat brothers extraordinaire
Spotacus--Rainbow Bridge

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/19 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My first RV, a '79 class C Roll-a-Long purchased at 10 years of age, was used by me for 10 years with no issues other than the roof AC needing to be replaced about 7 years after we bought. That means that it lasted 17 years, and all of the other appliances were still going strong at 20 years of age when we sold it. The next RV was a '89 class C Jamboree also purchased at 10 years of age. Used that one for 15 years without a single appliance or house related failure other than a furnace control board. Had to rebuild the transmission, and repair the dash AC during it's tenure with us, but nothing more. I'm hopeful that my current '04 class A Itasca (purchased at 12 years of age) will be as dependable, but I do wonder.

A big part of the equation, I think, is the "throw-away" mindset of almost all products manufactured today. How long is the expected lifespan of a roof AC today vs 20 years ago? Certainly not the 17+ years I got out of my first and second, even though the units look and perform pretty much exactly the same, and are tasked with exactly the same job. We recently purchased a new washer & dryer (Maytag, for the S&B house). After just 2 years, the transmission on the washer went out. This didn't even surprise the repair guy; he said it's common! Really? My last washer lasted 15 years, and was STILL going when I bought this new one! So while the internet has indeed allowed access to more stories of failure, I do believe that the failure rate is indeed increasing, at least on major appliances and components. Add of course the ever increasing complexity of many of those components just adds to the problem, as does the requirement for RV manufacturers to knock out as many RVs as possible in as short a time as possible.

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 BW200, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/19 06:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:
"I'll still take today's RV's and automobiles over any of the vehicles I owned in the past".

I still wish I had my 54 ford convertible that I had in HS. But I know what you mean, my wife's 1967 Mustang eng only had 50K miles on the eng before it was changed. Yesterday's RV's were much simpler also. My first was a bread truck I converted into an RV. The next two were class B vans. No complicated systems and few problems compared to my Class A. I think the main reason people complain about low quality of their RV's is that they are not made in a production fashion like cars. Because of low quantity's much of the RV's are dependent on the skill of the workers rather than the production processes like NC machines . Setting up a production line using automated processes for a few hundred RV's would be cost prohibitive. Every trip something breaks or needs fixing. The only things I never had to fix were the two roof top AC's,furnace and the slide. Having said all that the refer, WH, HWH Jacks, furnace, ACs, genset are all 24 years old and still working.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Motor homes over the years
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS