Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Crimp connections
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Crimp connections

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/19 04:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use deoxit.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Bipeflier

Centralia, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/19 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hubbell Joint Compound

If it is good enough for the electrical utilities, it is good enough for me.

2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

3 tons

CA.

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/19 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before I crimped my 0004 welding cable copper lugs, I inserted a small coil of silver solder in each lug...After crimping I then heated the lugs with a torch, my goal was to have as low connector resistance as practical.. FWIW, silver is a better cinductor than gold...

3 tons

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/19 08:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For me it all depends on the environment. Sunshine South Dakota, is a world apart from Miami or the keys. New Orleans, San Diego, Crescent City, Seattle, have bad climate for unsoldered wire. Any place that rusts tools and cars is bad for wire connectors.

Tin plate is not bulletproof. The tin tarnishes. turns back and then it is useless. It turns black slower than bare copper turns purple or green.

But buying a new unit every few years makes soldering a waste of time. Again it all depends where the RV passes it's time. Winter driving on salted roadways hurts fully exposed terminals like for towing and factory plugs and sockets.

navigator2346

texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/19 08:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 tons wrote:

Before I crimped my 0004 welding cable copper lugs, I inserted a small coil of silver solder in each lug...After crimping I then heated the lugs with a torch, my goal was to have as low connector resistance as practical.. FWIW, silver is a better cinductor than gold...

3 tons

Problem with soldering lugs is that it can make the soldered joint brittle. With coach vibration, the wiring can break. That is the reason you don't find soldered connections in aircraft wiring.

3 tons

CA.

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/19 09:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

navigator2346 wrote:

3 tons wrote:

3 tons

Problem with soldering lugs is that it can make the soldered joint brittle. With coach vibration, the wiring can break. That is the reason you don't find soldered connections in aircraft wiring.

Never tried to fly my truck camper as of yet, but I’ll keep it in mind!!

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/19 09:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our golf carts used to have lots of shorted out cable and battery cables and connections . they run in all kinds of weather wet dirty and snowy We learned to make all our own cables with generous amounts of dielectric grease in the crimps and the posts.
Lots of grease! A nickles prevention is worth a pound of cure.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/19 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For my golf cart, I used solder cup ring terminals. they sell little solder pellets correctly sized for the terminals. Put flux on wire and cup, heated the wire, then put it into the cup heating the cup with my propane torch, solder melted... done. I did have shrink wrap pulled over the wire to cover the solder joint too.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/19 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HORSE

PUCKY

I've held an FAA PMA license for electrical systems and a second license for aircraft starter motor and alternator rebuilding for 29 years.

Most mechanics cannot solder worth two-cents. And the regulation goes back to the days when bikinis were illegal. It isn't about brittle it's about eliminating a threat because there are no guarantees that the mechanic can solder worth snot.

There are at least six to as many as twenty factory soldered connections in each and every alternator or starter motor. But the FAA steps in and demands high altitude brushes and special rectifiers that is strictly enforced.

Modern? Why does FAA still demand separate OVL control for voltage regulators? The OVL means OVER VOLTAGE LIMITER. Right out of the days of Newsreel shorts in a movie theater.

Vibration? I've never seen a broken soldered point in an alternator but I have seen an uncrimped solder joint fail on a prestolite starter. The solder joint looked like a gob of dried chrome aluminum paint. In my work I used 100 percent silver to solder these joints.

Wear protective clothing, remove the cowling on a Beechcraft with a Lycoming engine, advance the throttle and feel the vibration. About 10 to 20 times more intense than an automotive engine.

This is why wiring on the outside uses factory placed Adel clamps. And an FAA surveyor should note this on an annual. I have found rat's nest next to instrument clusters and frays in wiring next to fuel changeover switches.

If 3 to 1 adhesive heat shrink tubing is used properly on a properly soldered terminal it will have a longer more secure lifespan then any crimped terminals.

The problem is for those PMA mechanics who can't past 10 on their fingers without unzipping their pants. The The Federal Aviation administration would have to test each and every PMA applicant up front and personal. Impossible. Therefore the general ban on soldering wiring. Carmakers operate the same way for the same reason as the FAA.

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/19 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

HORSE

PUCKY

I've held an FAA PMA license for electrical systems and a second license for aircraft starter motor and alternator rebuilding for 29 years.

It's good to have you back on the forums [emoticon]

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Crimp connections
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS