Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Redwoods National Park, Coos Bay area and Olympic nat park
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Redwoods National Park, Coos Bay area and Olympic nat park

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
cbigham

orange , CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/19 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey all,
We have a 25 ft class c, towed jeep with a dual sport dirt bike on back headed up the Northern Ca coast then to Olympic National Park area and stay near Shelton, Wa to see a nephew. Any suggestions on campgrounds, trails to ride, sites to see? We have a 10 year old boy, dog as well.

Especially interested in Olympic west area. .worried about crowds, never having been there. East side we can park on nephews driveway in a pinch.

Thanks,

Chuck

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/19 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chuck,

There are two threads earlier on the matter. I was the OP on the first as I will be taking that route too by mid April.

Here is not latest (I'm not the OP).

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29866090.cfm

I myself is hugging the shoreline at 101 and staying mostly on National/State/County campsites. Back up if it's crowded is to go to commercial/independent campgrounds (ouch).

I'll be stopping by frequently for seafood, maybe some fishing, smoked tuna or salmon, cheese (Tillamook, Humbolt...)

dedmiston

So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/19 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might want to post in Toy Haulers to get suggestions on where to camp and ride.

How do you like your dual sport? Is it factory, or did you plate it?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

cbigham

orange , CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/19 01:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks,
I am the guy on the other thread, read some suggestions and thought might be asking wrong questions on the route side vs attractions.

To the poster about the dual sport, I have both, converted xr650r and a ktm 500 exc. Hoping to take the exc but will see. Xr650r proven stone axe reliable and comfy no matter what thrown at it. Been around, UT, WY, MT, AZ, CO, CA. Does it all.

diazr2

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/19 08:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots and lots of places to do that sort of thing once you get past Coos. There are many campgrounds that cater to the dune buggies and bikers and also your jeep. Winchester Bay has a huge campground that caters to the dunnies. Also Oregon Dunes KOA , Also Mrytlewood factory Both located just before you get to Houser. There are really just too many to name all of them. But the three I named are quite popular and no you will not have a problem with crowds. I know nothing of the Olympia area, except there are a lot of people that live there.

cbigham

orange , CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/19 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks,
I did see a sunset stare park at Coos. Will aim first for that.

diazr2

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/19 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cbigham wrote:

Thanks,
I did see a sunset stare park at Coos. Will aim first for that.
Sunset beach is nice but they have problems with the water in the bay lots of times. Sewage and all. They are also not close to any Dunes. Or off road trails for motored vehicles. The Gardens are beautiful but very restricted on what you can do at them.

jamesu

Camano Island, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/19 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FYI: Whereas the Oregon Coast’s 101 pretty much hugs the Coast, the Washington Coast’s 101 is inland except for the 10 mile stretch at Kalaloch. To reach Washington’s Coast take these spurs: SR’s 103, 105, 109, 110. Great beaches - some of my favorites; wider and flatter than in Oregon. SR-113/112 takes you out to the N.W, tip of the lower 48 at Cape Flattery.

2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

rollexx

Vancouver, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/17/19 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A nice side trip on your way to Shelton would be Port Townsend. Historic downtown with its Victorian architecture is very cool. Fort Worden State Park just outside town is one of the best in Washington State. Very scenic.

cbigham

orange , CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/19 10:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Redwoods National Park, Coos Bay area and Olympic nat park
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.