cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weighed my Spartan 1245 yesterday

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
We've been talking about a rig diet this summer. I knew we were hovering right around the GVWR for the trailer.

Truck is: 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, 4x4, 4.10 gears, crew cab, long bed. I had just filled with fuel. Truck bed stays full. Wife, me, and son were in the truck along with normal travel-day conveniences (drinks, snacks, and entertainment options for my son). Only thing missing was my daughter.

Camper is: 2017 Spartan 1245 made by Prime Time Manufacturing (a Forest River brand). Triple axle toy hauler. Our garage is done up like the kid's bedroom, Momma's craft nook, laundry, and school supplies.

Digested, here are my numbers (from TowingPlanner.com๐Ÿ˜ž

Gross Combined Weight View Current Page Link
31,720 (truck's GCWR is 39,100)

Truck Weight (hitched)
13,460 (truck's GVWR is 14,000)

Truck Weight (truck only)

Camper Weight
21,440 (trailer's GVWR is 21,000 lbs.)

Pin Weight

Pin Weight Percentage
14.8 %

Other ratings:
Truck's front GAWR is 6,000 lbs. (vs. 5,660 loaded). Trucks' rear GAWR is 9,750 lbs. (vs. 7,800 loaded).

The trailer has 3 x 7,000 lbs. axles (vs. 18,260 loaded).

I was carrying 3/4 to full fresh water tank. At 100 gallons total, that's 75-100 gallons for 625 to 830 lbs. Simply dumping this out gets me under the trailer's GVWR. It also increases the pin weight percentage and the overall pin weight amount that the truck carries.

That said, the 14.8% pin weight has had no adverse effects on handling.

--

I prefer using the Weigh My Truck app so that my wife doesn't have to run in nor do I have to shout over the background noise of trucks, but it seems my payment method had expired and you can't reset that within the app. You have to go to the Weigh My Truck website to update it.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page
9 REPLIES 9

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
What Jimlin said.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
The Sailun S637 ST are a commercial class tire all steel ply carcass and don't fit in the same requirement as our typical Load C/D/E tires with the 3-5 years replacement time frame.
Most commercial grade tires have no problems with 5-7 years of service if maintained with max pressures and parked long term out of the sun...or at least thats been my experience on my equipment trailers.
Give Sailun a 1-800 or email and see what they recommend on replacement time frame for RV trailers that sit most of their lives.

Interesting. I'm emailing Sailun now.
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The Sailun S637 ST are a commercial class tire all steel ply carcass and don't fit in the same requirement as our typical Load C/D/E tires with the 3-5 years replacement time frame.
Most commercial grade tires have no problems with 5-7 years of service if maintained with max pressures and parked long term out of the sun...or at least thats been my experience on my equipment trailers.
Give Sailun a 1-800 or email and see what they recommend on replacement time frame for RV trailers that sit most of their lives.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
mhamershock wrote:
I weigh mine a couple times a year just to be sure. Looks like you are fine with that, but of course keep an eye on the hauler tires at those loads. Wouldn't be fun to have a blowout at that weight.

Nice rig. How's it pull loaded like that?

M

Good tip! And I agree.

Fortunately it came with Sailun S637 / load range G tires from the factory. It was a hold over 2017 that we bought in March 2018, so it was built in Dec 2016. Guess I'm going to need to start budgeting for tires next year. ๐Ÿ˜ž

And I run a TPMS to keep an eye on them. And I visually inspect them (and the rest of the suspension) regularly.

Pulls well. We haven't really challenged the truck with it yet- just have gone between PA/NJ and Florida. Come August, we'll leave Florida and head west for the Balloon Fiesta in October. I'll finally get a feel for how she pulls.

I will say, you can definitely tell the improvements from the 2012 Ram I had before to this one. I was over on a few ratings on that truck which is what led me to upgrading to the 2018 Ram.

mhamershock
Explorer
Explorer
I weigh mine a couple times a year just to be sure. Looks like you are fine with that, but of course keep an eye on the hauler tires at those loads. Wouldn't be fun to have a blowout at that weight.

Nice rig. How's it pull loaded like that?

M

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Those new trucks are heavy. Pretty rig.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
lincster wrote:
I applaud you for knowing your weights.
Too many people run around with their head in the sand saying "I see lots of other people using that truck".
You look good to go on everything.
Using that truck for what it was built for.

Thanks!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
X2
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
I applaud you for knowing your weights.
Too many people run around with their head in the sand saying "I see lots of other people using that truck".
You look good to go on everything.
Using that truck for what it was built for.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail