cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weber Q1200 Question

ThorMan
Explorer
Explorer
My wife just purchased a Weber Q1200 for our motorhome, I just went to buy a quick connect hose to tap into our on board propane, it is already setup to do so. After checking around, I find out that this Weber has a built in regulator, I prefer not opening the box in case I have to return it. I am wondering if anyone has removed the regulator on this type of grill before, and hooked it up to the on board propane. The store says you can not do this, what do you guys think?
20 REPLIES 20

JesLookin
Explorer
Explorer
On our Q1200 we removed the regulator and put on the quick disconnect to work with the camper. Then we put a quick disconnect on the regulator, to be able to put the regulator back on the grill. That way we can still use the grill if we want to tailgate at a baseball or football game.
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I actually grill a fair amount. Also use the 1lb canisters for my smoker, my blackstone, and the coleman camp stove.

I've smoked a brisket with just one canister. Yes, the grill does need to heat up and yes I also burn off residue, but the canisters work just fine for everything I need. The WeberQ heats up quite quickly actually.

My problem is I don't get to camp as much as I want. I try to go at least monthly, but not always successful

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby wrote:
I must not grill enough.. I still use the 1lb canisters.

Using 1 lb propane canisters for powering a grill may be convenient but is a waste of gas as a grill requires preheating before it can be used and after grilling needs more time running to burn off residue. That's why I use canisters for running just my Coleman camp stove which can be used as soon as the burners are lit and a 5 lb tank for powering my Weber Q grill. In early spring a 4-pack of canisters are on sale and is enough to run my stove all season, the 5 lb tank I might have to refill once during the season as we grill a lot.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

ThorMan
Explorer
Explorer
Installed the Torjic convert a Q kit on my Weber 1200 Q, piece of cake with very clear instructions, and very secure what with the Aluminum Torjic branded block that reattaches where the regulator was.
I too could have just grilled using disposable bottles, but now I do not have to worry about running out of propane in the little one pound bottles, as my onboard propane tank holds 88 pounds.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I must not grill enough.. I still use the 1lb canisters.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Even though I removed my Weber Q's regulator for use with my low pressure propane outlet, I, also, can still use my Weber-Q with a propane bottle.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
I have a high pressure tee and hose setup that I screw directly in where the bottle normally connects to the grill. Works great and I didn't have to modify my Q1200. Also I still have the option to run the bottle if needed .
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
All the answers right here!
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

parcany
Explorer
Explorer
I have a weber and had the hose that plugs into the propane line. When I hooked it up everything worked, except doing it this way the weber did not get as hot as having a 1 pound canister in it. With the canister it would get to over 500 degrees and with the hose would only get to 400 degrees. so it worked for me and I still had the regulator on it.

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
I use a little 5 pounder like SoundGuy. Gives me a lot more freedom regarding where I set up the barbie. On a windy day, it helps a lot to set up with the RV blocking the wind.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
Or just disconnect one tank and hook your hose directly to that without using the regulator on the RV.

OR just don't bother at all. ๐Ÿ˜„ None of the trailers we've owned has had a low pressure gas feed plumbed to the curb side of the trailer so I instead T'd one of the tanks and would run my unmodified Weber Q and stand alone Coleman stove off one of the legs while the other leg still fed the trailer. The issue however with any of these methods in which you draw propane from a trailer tank is you'll have a hose lying on the ground that someone will eventually trip over so I ended up ditching it all and instead run my Weber Q with a stand alone, lightweight 5 lb tank and my outside stove with 1 lb canisters. K.I.S.S. :B

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Or just disconnect one tank and hook your hose directly to that without using the regulator on the RV.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Airdaile wrote:
The Q should have a smart regulator that senses when it's getting already regulated gas.

This is the wrongest answer I have seen in a long time.

You can not "double regulate" a Weber Q grill. It will not work.

It is extremely easy to remove the Weber Q regulator. I did so. Mine works just fine off of the trailer's low pressure propane hookup. I also bought a propane hose with a regulator built in. That way, if for some reason I feel the need to hook the modified Weber Q up to a propane bottle, I can.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
ThorMan wrote:
I am wondering if anyone has removed the regulator on this type of grill before, and hooked it up to the on board propane. The store says you can not do this, what do you guys think?

The store is giving you that answer because that's also Weber's official position. That said, countless thousands have removed the Q's regulator and run the grill directly from a trailer's low pressure gas feed. Works just fine.